Episode 6 - Steven McDonald (OFF!)
This week Damian sits down with his good friend Steven McDonald from OFF! and Red Kross, for a conversation that was so good that they had to record it twice! Steven is the definition of a lifer, having started playing in punk bands at the age of 11 in 1978. He shares amazing and legitimately terrifying stories from hardcore’s formative days. Sit back and enjoy this EPIC 2+ HOUR hang out!!!! Plus, behind the scenes of their VICE-20 Hardcore bands.
Also covered in this episode:
- Steven's genuine curiosity about Damian having been “straight edge”
- The two's evening spent getting to become "Cro-Mags Adjacent"
- Seeing Patti Smith as a child
- Being cousins of the Allycats
- McDonald's and husky kids
- How the Dickies "10" White Dickie" kills Junior High School popularity.
- The A&R skills of Greg Ginn - "Little kid band" beef with Mad Society? - The Germs being THE band. - Rollins: the prototypical hardcore kid - An impassioned debate on downloading - Record stores as laxatives