Episode 8 - Tom Scharpling (The Best Show)
THE BEST SHOW LIVES! To celebrate, Turned Out A Punk is lucky enough to have the host of The Best Show: Tom Scharpling. Listen as Damian and Tom discuss discovering punk in small town New Jersey, and how Tom goes on to create a radio show empire that counts some of the best and brightest from the comedy and music worlds.
Also touched on:
- Husker Du as first contact.
- Discovering Punk in isolation
- The oppression of 80’s Springsteenmania in New Jersey
- Frankie Goes To Hollywood: New Jersey’s PissChrist
- REM rocks the lunchroom.
- Conflict zine as inspiration for everything. (See, I told you Gerard!)
- Too Fun Too Huge the lesser known pre-Matador Records zines
- The wishing well of record mail-order back in the day.
- Gerard Cosloy is AWESOME!
- The label not even a MUTHA could love.
- Sneaking to "Eating Clubs" to see icons of indie rock
- Dinosaur Jr.
- “EATING IT” the CBGB of comedy.
- H. John Benjamin and Jon Glaser’s “Get Hyped”: the best performance of anything ever.
- The importance of an early David Cross’ blessing
- The Best Show as a band member’s secret handshake
- Damian gushing about The Best Show