Cannanites vs the Egyptian Fortress at Jaffa (Yapu), Egyptians 2nd Millenium B.C.E. Malcolm Hoenlein, @Conf_of_pres.
11-03-2016 (Photo:the Cannanites ) http://JohnBatchelorShow.com/contact http://JohnBatchelorShow.com/schedules http://johnbatchelorshow.com/blog Twitter: @BatchelorShow
Cannanites vs the Egyptian Fortress at Jaffa (Yapu), Egyptians 2nd Millenium B.C.E. Malcolm Hoenlein, @Confofpres.
“Newly discovered layers of fiery destruction in ancient Jaffa bear witness to long-forgotten violent Canaanite resistance to Egyptian rule over the seaside city thousands of years ago, a defiance entirely missing from historical sources. Archaeologists had previously found the extraordinary mud-brick "Ramesses Gate," the remains of a gargantuan fortress that the pharaonic New Kingdom conquerors built in Jaffa when they controlled the city (from around 1460 B.C.E. to 1125 B.C.E.). Now excavations around the fortified gate, the most massive complex of the type outside Egypt itself, have exposed more remains of the fortress that tell a forgotten story. Bent arrowheads and a massive destruction layer of burned mud-bricks found under the collapsed tower at the Ramesses Gate attest that the Canaanites bitterly opposed Egyptian rule in Jaffa, which reached its peak during the 12th century B.C.E., say archaeologists excavating the site, which has been extensively explored over the years by the Jaffa Cultural Heritage Project (2011-2014), Tel Aviv University in the late 1990s, and by Jacob Kaplan, the municipal archaeologist of Tel Aviv-Jaffa (1955-1974). More than 50 ceramic vessels were recovered from a 2-meter thick layer of destruction debris. Some were found underneath a 4-meter wide collapsed passageway. Others evidently fell from the towers of the gate complex into the destruction debris. “It seem like [the Canaanites] lit the ceiling of the gate complex on fire, and it collapsed,” says Prof. Aaron Burke of the University of California, Los Angeles, one of the directors of the renewed excavations at Jaffa. "We discovered 24 one-to-two meter sections of timber and planks, including their wooden pegs, buried in each of the towers that collapsed," he told Haaretz. read more: http://www.haaretz.com/jewish/archaeology/1.748579