18: Peter Fitzboydon, Chief Executive at London Sport, on harnessing tech to get 1m more people active
I had the pleasure of being on a panel at London Sport's 2.0 event at the BFI IMAX theatre in London and afterwards sat down with their Chief Executive, and self-professed data and tech geek, Peter Fitzboydon.
London Sport has the aim of helping 1,000,000 Londoners become more active by 2020, and Peter sees data and technology as two of the ways they can achieve this.
They also announced at the event the launch of a new 'sports tech hub' which will be launching in early 2017, which will be very exciting to the industry. We spoke about this and a number of other topics in our time together, including;
- How Pete’s background in tech gives him a unique insight when bringing sport and tech together
- How London Sport is looking towards the tech industry to help get 1m Londoners more active by 2020
- The importance of Open Data to what London Sport are looking to achieve
- How sport is under threat from likes of esports and is failing to react to change generally
- The opportunities shown by technology such as Pokemon Go
- How sports still see each other as the competition, when it’s people’s attention including the commercial world (shopping, TV, games + more) they need to look at
- The need for collaboration within sport to succeed
Do take a look at our past shows and please leave a rating, review or comment if you've enjoyed the podcast. Thank you!