DS Monthly #3: February look back with Emily Clark (Surrey CCC) & Simon Ryley (RightNow Digital)
This month Dan looks back at the news with Surrey Cricket's Emily Clark and Simon Ryley from RightNow Digital. BT Sport seemed to crop up on a regular basis, so obviously a busy month for Simon Green and his team that now includes Iain Liddle, who until recently was at Twitter.
- We talk about Facebook now officially being a media company and their recent broadcast deals with Mexican football, La Liga and (allegedly) the MLB.
- BT Sport won the UCL and UEL rights for 4 more years at the start of March with social making up a large part of it. What could this be and how will it work?
- Emily talks about how cricket is catching up through its global fanbase, and the great stat that only 6% of Surrey's 300k Facebook fans are from the UK.
- Formula 1 entered testing for the 2017 season and the new owners have loosened the reigns when it comes to social media (video) usage, and what this means for the season ahead.
- We tapped into Emily's experience working in Formula E with the Virgin team and why giving fans access is so welcome (on both sides) and is needed in F1 too.
- Simon has launched a new app with QBE around the Lions summer tour to New Zealand giving fans access to all their rugby news in one place. An interesting move for a sponsor after a very specific audience.
Thanks to Emily and Simon for being guests on the show, and Surrey for hosting us at the KIA Oval. We were there for Simon's 'app led approach' event which Dan was delighted to host.
If you enjoyed this podcast then please leave a review/rating or comment.