Sikkim with Surya Raju
This week, The Musafir Stories speaks to Surya Raju from the blog Travelrope. Travelrope initially started out as a humble blog on Tumblr. Post a number of articles, Surya felt that she could perhaps ease the process of building trip itinerary by sharing her travel experiences as well as other travellers’ who contribute their stories to Travelrope. Travelrope has no longer remained a place just for travelogues as Surya also wanted to share what goes on in the lives of the many who have been inspiring to a whole lot of people out there. That is how 'Inspire Me' Series was born.Sit back and enjoy!
Today's destination: Sikkim - Lachen,Lachung,Chopta Valley, Yumesamdong etc
Nearest airport: Bagdogra airport Nearest Railway Station: Jalpaiguri railway station
Prerequisities - Permit for Nathula pass
Packing - winter apparel, medicines for AMS, sun glasses
Time of the year - November/December for the snow, April/May for warmer weather and rhododendrons!
Length of the itinerary: 7 days
- Travel to Gangtok after arriving at Bagdogra airport (about 4-5hrs)
- Enjoy the Teesta river enroute to Gangtok
- Spend time shopping and walking about MG road. Buy winter wear here if you haven't already carried it along. Cafes, bakeries and some folk dance here
- Photo op with yaks at Tsomgo lake
- Visit Nathula pass. Permits required for Indian nationals. Foreigners not permitted.
- Travel to Lachen from Gangtok, enjoy views of the Kanchenjunga mountain enroute
- Experience eco-tourism first hand where plastic is banned
- Enjoy Maggie noodles and chai at Thangu
- Chopta valley (beautiful rhododendron spreads in April/May) and Gurudongmar Lake at 17,000 ft ASL
- Drive to Lachung from Lachen, spend the night at Lachung and head to Yumthang valley the next morning.
- Hot water springs and rhododendron spreads at Yumthang valley
- Maggie noodles, spicy chana and chai (or old monk if you wish!) at Zero point (Yumesamdong)
- Drive back to Gangtok from Lachung.
- Visit Namchi (Shiva temple) and Pelling from Gangtok
- Monasteries and Sandrupse and Pemayangtse
- Nature walk to reach the ruins at Rabdentse
- Singshore bridge if you have time at hand
- Enjoying interactions with the locals and awesome cuisine.
Link to Surya's blog: www.travelrope.com/
Link to blog posts:
Link to Inspire Me: travelrope.com/category/inspire-me/
More about the Guest:
Email: email@example.com Twitter : @travel_rope Facebook : www.facebook.com/Travelrope-Lets-…1607829376107736
Like our work? Follow, Like & Subscribe to us. We would also love to hear from you, so do write to us at:
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: www.twitter.com/MusafirStories Facebook: www.facebook.com/themusafirstories Instagram: www.instagram.com/musafirstoriespodcast Website : www.themusafirstories.com