Volunteering in McLeod Ganj with Shikhar Lohia
This week, The Musafir Stories speaks to up and coming instagrammer, Shikhar Lohia, who posts under the handle @upandmeandering. Shikhar is a recent graduate of Delhi university who works for an international property consultant and is based out of Delhi.
Today's destination: McLeod Gunj
Nearest Airport: Gaggal airport Nearest Railway Station: Pathankot railway station is located at a distance of 90 km from Mcleodganj and is the nearest broad gauge rail head to the city. The nearest meter gauge railway stations to the city are Kangra and Nagrota
Prerequisities - n/a
Packing - Some warm clothes and a camera!
Time of the year - Summer is the best time to visit the hills!
Length of the itinerary: 1 week
- Shikhar sets out on this week long trip from Delhi by boarding a bus at the Kashmere gate
- Shikhar explores the city center and local cuisine on the first couple of days
- A chance encounter with an American couple led to one of the highlights of this trip - getting to attend the teaching of Dalai Lama!
- Shikhar spent more time reading about the Dalai Lama and exploring local cuisine and culture, photographing the city.
- Also on the agenda was a visit to the Bhagsu Nag temple, Bhagsu Nag falls and the famous Shiva cafe, spending time sipping on tea and talking about random things under the stars!
- Do not miss a visit to the Dal lake, the namesake of the one in Kashmir. It has a unique feel to it nestled in the Deodhar trees in th backdrop of mountains!
- Finally, Shikhar spent his final part of the journey volunteering with the Lha charitable trust, teaching conversational english to Tibetan refugees.
Must visit - Jimmy's Cafe for some amazing waffles, Shiva's cafe for some hot coffee by the calming waterfalls, Tibetan kitchen for some mouth-watering momos!
More about the Guest:
Instagram - @upandmeandering Tripoto profile - https://www.tripoto.com/profile/shikharlohia6049496