#32 – ABC News’ Rebecca Jarvis – “What’s the worst advice you’ve ever received?”
Rebecca Jarvis is the ABC News chief Business, Technology & Economics correspondent; the host and managing editor of the podcast No Limits with Rebecca Jarvis; and the host and managing editor of Real Biz with Rebecca Jarvis.
After studying economics in college, Rebecca began her journalism career writing for Crain’s Chicago Business and Business 2.0 alongside gruelling hours working in investment banking and foreign currency trading. This early experience on the trading floor proved invaluable in giving Rebecca the confidence and know-how needed to later launch her broadcast journalism career through which Rebecca has interviewed some of the world’s most successful people including Warren Buffett, Richard Branson, Sheryl Sandberg, Diane von Furstenberg and Arianna Huffington.
Rebecca was also the first person at ABC News to launch a podcast, something she had to convince her bosses was the right move and build from the ground up. Through No Limits, Rebecca works hard to demystify success by interviewing bold and influential women about the decisions, trade offs, and realities they’ve had to face up to in order to get where they are today.
In this jam-packed episode Rebecca talks candidly about the lessons she’s personally learned during her career so far, as well as those she’s picked up through her extensive interviews with other women.
Topics touched on include:
- Effective ways to ask for career advice
- Defining personal success and how that changes over time
- Finding the “side door” instead of following the same path as everyone else
- Ways to influence your bosses and get the chances/breaks you deserve
- The top 3 skills for being a great journalist
- Simple life hacks to make long term goals achievable
- Why finding out the worst advice someone ever received is often more telling than the best advice
- Why we all have a “greatest hits failure” – and it isn’t something to feel ashamed about
And if today’s episode leaves you curious you can catch up with Rebecca by following Rebecca:
On Twitter: https://twitter.com/rebeccajarvis
On Instagram: https://instagram.com/rebeccajarvis
And listen to the No Limits podcast: http://abcradio.com/podcasts/no-limits/
Thanks to our patrons for this episode:
- Anna Caroline who coaches leaders in Berlin: http://truthcircles.com
- Megan Quinn who supports Code2014: http://www.code2040.org
- Caoimhe Keogan: http://twitter.com/caoimhekeogan
- Alexandra Cosma: http://alexandracosma.com
- Emma Harris
If you want to help us create The Role Models Podcast in the future, become a patron and chip-in $1, $3, $5, or $10 per episode. Read more about the different tiers and rewards on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/rolemodels