#36 – How InStyle’s Editor in Chief Laura Brown champions "badass women" with a reach of 30+ million
Laura Brown is the Editor in Chief of InStyle magazine.
Laura spent eleven years at Harper’s Bazaar, rising to the role of Executive Editor before moving in 2016 to head up one of the world’s most successful fashion media brands. At InStyle Laura is responsible for the print magazine (which reaches 1.8 million readers every month), 13 international editions and digital across all platforms as well as the voice, content, strategy and brand extensions that reach 30+ million women across the world. This multifaceted role leads Laura to liken her job description to more of a producer than an editor.
Since her appointment, Laura has championed “Badass women” leading to a refresh of InStyle’s print and digital franchises and giving a relatable voice to a new group of fashion, beauty and celebrity influencers and thought leaders.
In addition to all the above, Laura also leads the development of live events such as the annual InStyle Awards, Badass Women, and innovative video series including PeopleTV’s “Dirty Laundry”.
Laura’s determination, self assurance and openness are infectious and this podcast episode is bursting with her advice on how to get where you want to be, no matter your industry. This includes:
- Doing things with energy rather than passivity
- Finding a voice through social media and using it as a tool for learning Storytelling over content creation
- Not forcing things – and why taking no for an answer isn’t a bad thing
- How to build personal equity through doing good work and being good to people
It’s also the perfect listen for anyone looking to break into fashion’s notoriously competitive industry, full of practical advice for people who are struggling to find an access point, including:
- The top 3 skills needed to become an editor
- How to stand out from the crowd in order to win internships, facetime, and get your foot in the door
- The timeline of planning a magazine edition
If today’s episode leaves you wanting more you’ll find Laura on Twitter and Instagram: https://instagram.com/laurabrown99 and https://twitter.com/laurabrown99
Thanks to our patrons for this episode:
- Anna Caroline who coaches leaders in Berlin: http://truthcircles.com
- Megan Quinn who supports Code2014: http://www.code2040.org
- Alexandra Cosma: http://alexandracosma.com
- Emma Harris
If you want to help us create The Role Models Podcast in the future, become a patron and chip-in $1, $3, $5, or $10 per episode. Read more about the different tiers and rewards on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/rolemodels