Solveiga Pakštaitė of Mimica - Freshness Inidicator To Reduce Food Waste
Solveiga Pakštaitė is the Founder and Director Mimica. Solveiga is the inventor of Mimica Touch, a biologically accurate food spoilage indicator that reduces food waste and improved food safety. The product has a granted patent and has been awarded prizes - most recently she was named MIT Technology Review's Inventor of the Year.
Highlights of this episode:
- Inclusive design, working with a blind charity and being inspired by an old banana
- Benefits of an accelerator programme
- Winning awards and grant fundings
- Making the first hire
- Why food waste is such a big problem
- Educating companies on how food waste affects sales and customer loyalty
- Asking why a problem is not yet being solved
- Finding out the budget the market can bear for a scaled technology
[01:45] How did it all start?
[03:30] Making the first prototype
[05:10] Being an entrepreneur
[06:00] Joining an accelerator
[07:00] How big is the problem of food waste?
[08:00] Working with a scientist to develop a solution.
[11:00] Importance of innovating
[11:40] Challenge of making a mass market product
[16:50] Advise for people who are trying to create a business model and solve an engineering problem
[19:00] Mimica in 10 year time
Mimica Lab: https://www.mimicalab.com/
Solveiga Pakštaitė on Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/solveigap/