James Johnston is CEO and cofounder of Piclo, an exciting company working to globally change the way we use energy today. James and his team have developed a way to make our energy grids more flexible and sustainable with a cutting edge energy DSO marketplace.
- Importance of understanding of the problem before working towards a solution
- Applying flexibility to utilise energy in a more efficient way
- How to build a team and how people form a company’s identity
- The power of ‘pivoting’ towards new ideas and adapting from failure
- How different investors are best suited for different stages of development
[01:35] Who is James Johnston?
[02:05] Starting with a solution rather than a problem
[03:45] Applying flexibility to make effective use of energy sources
[05:00] Developing a market place to buy and sell flexibility services
[06:25] James’ personal journey and gaining inspiration from Bob Metcalfe
[08:25] Building a team with cofounders Andy and Alice
[11:00] Learning from your failures and developing new business plans
[14:25] How different investors are beneficial at different stages of development
[17:45] Having a global mission
[19:45] Methods of tracking progress