Walled City of Jaipur with Arv
#Jaipur #Rajasthan #city #walkingtour #markets #bazaars #streets #forts #gates #palace #jewellery #foods #handicrafts #shoes #temples #hawamahal #joharibazaar #citypalace
#GetFeatured on the Musafir Stories!
a. An #Indian destination or experience you would like to talk about (preferably not already covered on the podcast)
b. A #summary of your experience/highlights
c. Links to blogs/posts about your experience (optional)
#InternationalPodcastDay #India #travel #podcast
This week, The Musafir Stories speaks to Arvind from the blog Jaipur thru my lens, an expert on Jaipur and its gems!
Today's destination: A walking tour around the Walled city of Jaipur!
Nearest Airport: Jaipur International Airport, JAI
Nearest Railway Station: Jaipur Junction railway station, JP
Prerequisites - Walking shoes, sun glasses, sun screen, energy bars and water to keep you hydrated!
Packing - Pack light, perhaps a backpack while you head out on this walking tour!
Time of the year - December to February is a good time to walk around the city as summers can be hottt!
Length of the itinerary: 2 - 2.5 hours
- Are talks about the benefits of self-guided walks vs group walking tours and what makes sense.
- We start off the self guided tour of walled city of Jaipur, starting from New gate or Naya gate, the newest of the 9 gates in Jaipur.
- Walking through the New gate, the first stop is at Bapu Bazaar, famous for fabric, women's shoes or mojaris/jootis, bed linen, clothes and handicrafts.
- The next gate we pass through is the Sanganeri Gate en-route to Johari Bazaar - one of the oldest and most popular markets of Jaipur.
- Johari bazaar is popular for its jewellery - gold, silver, stones and all kinds of handicrafts. The Johari bazaar also has some buildings that have retained the old architecture that is unique to Rajasthan and Jaipur.
- Are also talks about the other famous by-lanes of Johari bazaar like Haldion ka raasta, Ghee-walon ka raasta, Moti singh Bhamiyon ka raasta among others as well as a flavour of the local sweets - Ghevar and Fini!
- Close to Johari Bazaar is Badi Chauper, a large square that is also very close to Hawa Mahal - another iconic monument of Jaipur.
- Other places of interest near Badi Chauper is the Flower market that can be quite interesting for foreign travellers.
- The next point of interest is the Hawa Mahal, one of the more popular palaces of Jaipur. The facade is brilliant but hidden behind is a whole complex, that is filled with stories and Rajas and Ranis.
- Other points one passes by after walking around Hawa Mahal includes an old administrative building, Sirehdyodi bazaar, which leads to the Sirehdyodi Gate.
- Another gate in the vicinity is the Nakkarkhana gate, an internal gate used for protection.
- Jaleb chowk is another square where armies used to gather, but this is mostly empty now.
- As one passes through Jaleb chowk, one can either head towards the City palace or Govind Devji temple, one of the very popular and older temples of Jaipur.
- The walk can either end at this point, or trailers can choose to visit some of the more popular monuments like City Palace or Jantar Mantar depending on time and interest.
Link to the blogpost: https://jaipurthrumylens.com/2019/06/20/self-guided-jaipur-heritage-walking-tour/
Link to the blog: Jaipur Thru my lens (https://jaipurthrumylens.com)
Photo credits Mitchell Ng Liang an from Unsplash
Follow the Musafir stories on
Twitter : https://twitter.com/musafirstories?lang=en
itunes - https://apple.co/2LPtTA3
Google podcasts - http://bit.ly/2toY7lj
website - http://bit.ly/2xFZqOV
Saavn - https://bit.ly/2J5rIqi
Spotify - https://spoti.fi/2HLPSVi
pocketcasts - https://bit.ly/2xu3Ewg
castbox - https://bit.ly/2sqBDQi
Overcast - https://bit.ly/2LN9wnf
Stitcher Radio - https://bit.ly/2JiBbhw
audioBoom - https://bit.ly/2oZZowS
TuneIn - https://bit.ly/2xyQH4a
RadioPublic - https://bit.ly/2snY9u0
iHeartradio - https://ihr.fm/2xvOG8R
Deezer - https://bit.ly/2L7GmOo