Today on the show Jodi interviews Parijate Deshpande, author of Pregnancy Brain (2018). Here are some highlights:
- Jodi and Pariajt talked about how Parijat came to write a book, beginning with a NICU nurse planting the seed after Parijat’s son was born. (He turns 7 next week!) After three people, who don’t know one another, all said the same thing in a 48-hour time span, Parijat took the hint and decided to write a book.
- Parijat noted that the mindset struggles during the writing process were her least favorite part of the process, and holding her finished book in her hands for the first time was the best. All writers, professional or not, face imposter syndrome at some point during the writing process.
- Parijat encouraged listeners to be intentional with book marketing. Jodi and Parijat talked about how strategic Parijat was in getting advance reviews. Parijat knew she wanted the backing of the medical community to help get Pregnancy Brain in the hands of people who most need the book, so she was strategic and intentional about making that happen. She also noted that she wishes she would have started marketing sooner!
- Parijat shared a piece of advice for other author-entrepreneurs: Identify your champions (or superfans, as Pat Flynn would call them!), reach out to them, and ask. Figure out how far your reach extends to spread the word. One of the best moments in her book journey happened when someone she doesn’t know reached out to say they loved Pregnancy Brain, speaking to the grassroots effort she employed.
- Now that Pregnancy Brain has been in the world for more than a year, Parijat says her marketing efforts are to go bigger and bolder, for a wider reach.
- Parijat shared that she’s reading Oprah’s latest book, The Path Made Clear. (This book is easy to read in small pockets of time, which is perfect for an entrepreneur and mother of two small children!)
Listen here or on your favorite podcast player, and let me know what you think!
Find Parijat here: