Explore Manipur with Elita
We're giving away a copy of Rajat Ubhaykar's book - Truck De India, a hitchhiker's guide to Hindustan, to one lucky listener!
All you have to do is listen to Rajat's episode - Around India on trucks (https://audioboom.com/posts/7258364-tms-specials-around-india-on-trucks-and-highways-with-rajat-ubhaykar) and answer two simple questions and send them to our email - firstname.lastname@example.org before Nov 10, 2019.
1. From which city did Rajat start his first leg of travel on trucks?
2. Name any one driver with whom Rajat hitches a ride, who finds mention in the episode.
Winners of #GetFeatured on The Musafir Stories!
Congrats!! We will reach out to you on very soon to schedule a recording session!
This week, The Musafir Stories speaks to the Nomadic Thunker, Elita, as she takes us to a lesser explore gem of North East India, Manipur!
Today's destination: Manipur
Nearest Airport: Bir Tikendrajit International Airport (IMF)
Nearest Railway Station: Dimapur Railway Station
Prerequisites - Government issued Photo ID will be required at checkposts. Please be sure to check the ground situation before planning your travel as there might be closures.
Packing - Pack some warm clothes if you're traveling during the winter months.
Time of the year - January
Length of the itinerary: 4 days
- Elita covers Manipur as a part of her 49 day North east itinerary. Please be sure to check the ground situation before planning your travel.
- Elita starts off her journey from Imphal where she flies into. It can be quite economical to hail a shared taxi from the airport to the city.
- The first point of interest after settling down in Imphal is the Ima Keithel Women's Market, one of the biggest women-run market in the world! The market is a must see while in Imphal and is a great opportunity to pick up some local souvenirs.
- Having spent some time interacting with women traders and getting a first hand experience of their warmth and hospitality, Elita heads back to the rest for the day.
- The plan for Day 2 is to travel to the border town of Moreh, which borders Myanmar's Tamu. The town is the eastern most frontier of India, opening up to the South East Asian market.
- The journey involved taking a shared taxi to Moreh, and some interesting experiences passing through army checkposts. The market is a minor trading hub for nearby villages and a lot of traders sell their produce here. One can walk about to the sister town of Tamu in Myanmar with the necessary ID documents.
- Elita spends some time interacting with the local traders and buying some edibles. Once spending some time here, Elita heads back to Imphal in the same shared cab.
- The Day 3 itinerary is planned for a visit to the Loktak lake, the largest freshwater lake in Northeast India and is famous for the phumdis/vegetation floating over it. The lake is located at Moirang in Manipur state, India.
- The lake is also the location of the Keibul Lamjao National Park, famous for the Sangai deer or the brown antlered deer, found here in large numbers.
- After spending some time watching the natural marvel of the Loktak lake, Elita heads to the INA martyr memorial. The INA Martyr's Memorial complex is a war memorial at Moirang, India, dedicated to the soldiers of the Indian National Army and some haunting stories of the freedom struggle and World War 2.
- Day 4 was a reserve day which Elita uses to check out the war memorial in Imphal. Travleres can also check out the Kangla fort/palace, Thalon Caves, Govindajee temple, RKCS art gallery if they have time on hand!
Link to the blogpost-
Link to the blog: Nomadic Thunker (https://nomadicthunker.com)
Link to #BeYouForYou expressive writing workshops
Social media: Instagram https://www.instagram.com/nomadicthunker/?hl=en
Image Credit: Thank you Grasskode! http://grasskode.xyz/
Follow the Musafir stories on
Twitter : https://twitter.com/musafirstories?lang=en
itunes - https://apple.co/2LPtTA3
Google podcasts - http://bit.ly/2toY7lj
website - http://bit.ly/2xFZqOV
Saavn - https://bit.ly/2J5rIqi
Spotify - https://spoti.fi/2HLPSVi
pocketcasts - https://bit.ly/2xu3Ewg
castbox - https://bit.ly/2sqBDQi
Overcast - https://bit.ly/2LN9wnf
Stitcher Radio - https://bit.ly/2JiBbhw
audioBoom - https://bit.ly/2oZZowS
TuneIn - https://bit.ly/2xyQH4a
RadioPublic - https://bit.ly/2snY9u0
iHeartradio - https://ihr.fm/2xvOG8R
Deezer - https://bit.ly/2L7GmOo