Celebrating the festive season and new year by giving away a copy of 'Globetrotting for Love and other stories from Sakhalin island' by Ajay Kamalakaran. Just answer the question in the form and stand a chance to win Ajay's book!
This week, The Musafir Stories speaks to Ajay Kamalakaran, an independent journalist and novelist as he takes us to the Far East corner of the world, Sakhalin island!!
Today's destination: Sakhalin island
Nearest Airport: Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk Airport
Nearest Railway Station: Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk Station
Prerequisites - Please check travel documents required
Packing - Pack for the cold!
Time of the year - Summer is ideal for Indian travellers although winter has its own charm!
Length of the itinerary: NA
- Ajay talks about the hidden gem of Sakhalin island, that lies at the confluence of the north and the east, where Russia meets Japan!
- Learn more about the history of the Sakhalin island, its native people, and the connection to the Japanese and Koreans.
- We talk about the geographical orientation, demography and the seasons of Sakhalin. Ajay explains the favourite pass-times of Sakhalin, how he got there and life in Sakhalin, the non-Americanized version.
- The oil connection of Sakhalin and preferred status for Indian citizens in terms of visas is also discussed.
- Ajay talks more about his book - Globetrotting for love and other stories from Sakhalin island and what inspired the book.
Link to the 'Globetrotting for love and other stories from Sakhalin island:
Link to the Ajay's latest book, A Week in the Life of Svitlana:
This episode is brought to you by Cambly - Cambly is the only app in India that provides on demand native English speaking tutors over video to teach English one on one.
- For those who are interested in improving their fluency/communication skills, they can subscribe to Cambly's monthly or quarterly plans and practice consistently every week.
- It is especially useful for those who want to better prepare for interviews, presentations and become a confident speaker. All sessions focus on what you want to improve on.
- It can be accessed on the website www.cambly.com
or by downloading the Cambly app from the Playstore or AppStore.
- The Musafir Stories listeners can get a 32% discount on the quarterly plan by using the code "tms32"
Follow the Musafir stories on