Possibility vs Power & Pity in Volunteerism with Breauna Dorelus
....the organisations' and volunteer responsibility in creating social change.
All to often volunteerism can include acts of paternalism, misuse of power, unhealthy volunteer/client dynamics, and, at times, powerlessness to actually affect change. In this episode I talk to Breaune Dorelus, Founder and Chief Cause Consultant at Connecting the Cause, a consultancy dedicated to dismantling harmful volunteer practices implemented by non-profits and volunteers towards Black and brown communities.
- What's great about volunteering and community service, but also what can cause harm
- Examples of specific harmful practices that go on which Breauna seeks to address by working with volunteers and leaders
- What volunteering responsibly looks and feels like
- How organisations can lead volunteer programmes that are working in partnership with the community, rather than to them
- Top tips for volunteers wanting to do the internal work so they can volunteer responsibly and with the best interests of the community in mind
Breauna believes in community inclusion in all aspects of the volunteer process, and has dedicated her work to ensuring that service is centred around helping and not harming. Starting her 10+ year stint in the non-profit sector as an AmeriCorps member, she has continuously held positions in leading volunteers, creating programming, and spearheading community initiatives.
Find out more about Breauna and Connecting the Cause here:
Connect with Breauna on Instagram: @connectingthecause
Visit the Connecting the Cause Website: www.connectingthecause.com
Subscribe here to the podcast to receive weekly email updates of the latest episode.