Dr. Kay Durairaj: well, hello, hello, guys. You're listening to beauty bites with Dr K secrets of a plastic surgeon. And it's time for a really interesting podcast. I know you guys have heard the buzzword exosomes. Exosomes are everywhere in esthetics, in your DERM office, your plastic surgery office, and we have two really amazing experts today. We're going to talk about all the red flags and all the safety issues you should be aware of with exosomes that are on the market. So I want to welcome Erin Crowley and Dr Mike heckay, and we are going to talk in detail. Erin is a global leader in regenerative Biotherapeutics. She's co chair of the exosm Exact oversight Bureau and CO manager of the Crowley center for Regenerative Biotherapeutics. So she has more than 15 years of experience in the corporate world, engineering and regulatory compliance, and she's bringing those gold standards into esthetics. This year, she's really worked on pioneering a new era of purity, functionality, transparency, and really looking at what makes a gold standard for an exosome in terms of exosome quality. So she's at the helm of this exosome exact oversight Bureau, which we're going to hear more about. And Dr Mike Heke started his career in pharma researching with Bayer, and he has been a stem cell researcher since the year 2000 and did stem cell work in heart failure. He was also scientific coordinator for many large scale EU projects. He founded the German stem cell network, and he joined Rockefeller University to lead his department of stem cell biology. He was appointed deputy to the president of Stanford University, managing Bing's presidential laboratory. And he also is currently at the Crowley center for Regenerative Biotherapeutics, and they focus on kind of bringing stem cell science safely and effectively into regenerative medicine. So with that huge intro, you guys know you're listening to some experts. Welcome, welcome Aaron and Mike. Thank you so much. Well, I want to dive right in and talk a little bit about what is an exosome? Aaron, maybe you can explain to me in layperson's terms. Since many people have heard the word exome, but probably couldn't define it, tell me how we should think of what is an exosome.
Erin Crowley: So exosomes come from lots of different sources, and an exosome is a little nano bubble, 30 to 150 nanometers. Super, super tiny. They're secretions of stem cells. Stem cells also secrete hyaluronic acid, collagen type four. Axosomes are another secretion, and inside these axosomes are incredible rich ingredients, all the things we love for our skin and hair, intimate tissues, you name it, they're great so collagen inducing, so from functional proteins, growth factors, ceramides. But what makes an exosome so totally different than a growth factor or a bio stimulator is that this little nano bubble, it travels to damaged tissue, and it's captured. And when it's captured, it delivers all of those rich ingredients I talked about, that basically restore the cell. But also happens, and I'm not a biologist background, so what I've learned is it also carries micro RNA, and that micro RNA sends a message, and the cell decodes it, and just like a computer, it reboots. So when you use age zero exosomes, which are from Wharton's jelly, from the human umbilical cord, where all the stem cells come from, to build the baby, the most regenerating stem cell that exists, that message is total rejuvenation, and based on your cell source. So if it was from fat stem cells or adipose or bone marrow or plants, the cargo inside is different, and the signal itself sends to your cells are different, so you'd have a different reaction or response or deliverable. So not all exosomes are created equal. Wharton's jelly has been scientifically proven to be the best, most rejuvenating source. And then you need to make sure that your manufacturing processes make sure that that exosome is still bioactive at the end of day. So we can get more into that, but that's kind of a little tidbit. So exosomes have ingredients, and they have a recipe to totally restore your skin, your hair, and 1000s of other areas of research are being done on the human body right now that are all really exciting.
Dr. Kay Durairaj: I think that's a great explanation. And Mike, do you have anything to add, like at the scientific level, about the micro RNAs and I. Um, do you feel one one side question too? I would love to compare and contrast polynucleotides to exosomes, which are two entirely different animals, but they're both out there on the market. They're both competing for our attention.
Michael Heke: Um, so basically, Aaron already, you know, captured a perfect overview and analysis. What it is. I think the important parts are really that not all exosomes are created equally. So virtually all cells secrete exosomes, but it's therefore very important to source your exosomes properly. So for instance, tumor cells, or cancer cells also secrete exosomes, but they have a whole different task that supported supporting tumor growth. So that's certainly something you don't want to touch. So what you want to use as a cellular origin for your stem for your exosomes, are stem cells, because they are considered the building blocks of life, and among those, stem cells, like MSCs, mesenchymal stem cells, they are often sourced from either bone marrow or adipose tissue, which requires adult donors, or from perinatal tissues, which is placenta, umbilical cord, umbilical cord, blood and amniotic fluid. So the adult tissues are really not optimal, because even if you have a healthy 20 year old that donates bone marrow or adipose tissue, they have been subjected to 20 plus years of environmental hazards, which is chemicals, toxins, but also aging, disease, you know, bad food and it's anything but but optimal. So you want to use perinatal tissues instead. And even among the periodontal tissues, there are differences among those four that I mentioned. The Wharton's cherry of the umbilical cord is the one considered the most best suited one, because it contains a large amount of mesenchymal stem cells, and they are even protected from maternal contamination, such as maternal DNA, or let's say, vaccine residues, so all of that has no ability to get into the Wharton's jelly mesenchymal stem cells. So they are the most pristine and also the youngest stem cells that you can get your hands on. And that's where those age zero characteristics come in as the most important feature of our exosomes. H zero just means, before we are born, we have the capacity for total regeneration and repair, which means, in the process of development, the baby in utero, if anything goes wrong, it will be fixed, can be completely replaced by functional tissue, and it will normally and therefore, it's important to utilize those stem cells that have the ability to affect these protection protective mechanisms. And these are the mesenchymal stem cells that actually have been produced before the baby was born. Interestingly, as soon as we are born, we lose that capacity for total regeneration and repair. We obviously have the ability to regenerate, but even it's not perfect anymore, and then with age, it further diminishes. So when we harvest those MSCs from the umbilical cord and culture them properly, that's also very important, then we retain these H zero characteristics, and that enables us to actually achieve rejuvenation, because, as I said, those are the youngest stem cells that you can have when they secrete those exosomes. They contain all the micro RNAs and functional proteins and lipids, so all the building blocks and the genetic of any cells to reboot or reprogram itself to a younger self, to return to a more youthful state, and to fix itself. So if you're asking about poly nucleotides or any kind of growth fact or any other factor to compare that with exosomes, it's just not the same. I mean, all these individual factors, poly nucleotides, also vitamins, of course, amino acids, all of them are very important and relevant, and they play a role in this process of regeneration and repair. But they are just one factor, so any given factor is just like a palliative mean only if you have a bioactive exosome that fuses with a target cell, as Aaron explained it, and deliver all their cargo. It enables the cell to do whatever it needs to do to actually return to a fully functional and more youthful state.
Dr. Kay Durairaj: Got it Do we need to be worried about getting HLA surface antigens or when we are harvesting exosomes from any source that's not our own or not autologous, Should we be worried that we're getting surface antigens and markers of another individual in our system? No,
Unknown: we don't have to be worried about. And that's why MSCs are the primary source for also the exosomes that we want to use also in stem cell therapy. We also resort to MSCs because they are immune, immune privileged. That means that don't take key they don't contain the surface markers that would enable your body to recognize they are foreign. And there's a reason with because if you, if you grow a baby in your tummy as a woman, this is considered, scientifically, an elevator between the mom and the dad. So it is something foreign, and it would be crazy if the mom's body would reject it as something foreign. So that's where protective mechanisms come from, and the immune privilege. So MSC is derived from perinatal tissues immune privilege, so they cannot be recognized as something foreign by your body, therefore they cannot lead to any rejection. Instead, they're actually used to treat graft versus host disease when you have other transplants, and
Dr. Kay Durairaj: I think that's so important. I think people don't realize that enough, because when they are getting exomes derived from other people's donated fat, donated platelets or other cellular tissues, there are foreign antigens of that individual on the surface, potentially of all those exomes and
Unknown: unlikely, but if you get it from adult donors, it's a little bit it's optimal, for sure, because over the course of those 20 plus years as a as an adult donor, you might even accrue some mutations in your in your genetics, and they got to be More transferred in all into all your bodily cells, so the cells, even the MSCs, are far from optimal for use as a transplant or as a melogenic to treat it.
Dr. Kay Durairaj: Now, what motivated you guys to kind of do this study where you looked at the impact of lyophilizing or taking a liquid and making it into a dry powder with the excess grains.
Unknown: So the Crowley center for Regenerative Biotherapeutics is a venture building company. So we invest in technologies, advanced technologies. My father, Michael Crowley, has been commercializing advanced technologies from government labs since 1986 so this is what what we do. And so anytime we go to look and invest in a new technology, we do significant vetting of the industry. And you know, we were already in the stem cell space because that was a byproduct of a cancer diagnostic product that we have. So we're a Wharton's jelly technology company. And as an auditor, I started going in and understanding what were the exosomes in the cosmetic space? Because exosomes are growing esthetically, and to open a new brand to supply esthetics to a distributor in Dubai. And so I spent about six months, and I went through every company in the exosome esthetic space, and I saw some significant gaps. First, these products are not medical grade. They're not having a certificate conforming with infectious disease testing. There's no donor history on any of these doctors are receiving exosomes, with no reports from any USA CLIA labs that would indicate that this is medical grade, so no sterility, testing, endotoxin, bio burden, mycoplasma, nothing was done to indicate that the stem cells that they got these exosomes were medical grade, are safe. Then we also looked and we said, what else is happening in the industry, we saw that most of the companies were actually growing their stem cells in what's called passages, but they were doing it many times, 1500 times. So they're copying their stem cells to produce more exosomes, and they're making copies upon copies upon copies. And what happens is, when you expand these stem cells, they can differentiate, they can mutate, and the axosomes they produce are no longer good. They change. And so the international Stem Cell Research Society would say, Never even use stem cells that have been grown more than four passages. So that's what we do at regenera, our stem cell company, but we were refining is that a lot of these exosomes were coming from companies that grow their stem cells 1500 copies. Well, that doesn't look good. So from there, we took it a little bit further and said, what else is happening, and what's very different from the medical space of regenerative medicine, stem cells and exosomes versus the esthetics, is the esthetics. All of the products I audited as a professional auditor were all they offlined. They were freeze dried. Why? Why would you freeze dry? A perfectly good ExIm there's only one reason. You want shelf stability. You want this to last on the shelf of a doctor's office. You want it to be able to easily transport without the cost of cold storage. Much well, in a lot of the studies, when these exosome companies did their own studies that they had exosomes, a lot of their data is prior to the lyophilization process, the freeze drying process. They're not showing you the final data of what does that bottle look like after the product's been freeze dried. Why this is important is an exosome is, is, you know, a biological liquid in a sense, right? And to make it understandable, I love freeze dried strawberries. They're crunchy, delicious. Put them on my salad, but I can't just add some dilutant, and suddenly they're plump and red. Again, the strawberry, and that's what, yeah, like they're plump, they're vibrant. I mean, they've changed through that freeze drying process, right? Nutrients have changed. They are changed. And when you lyophilize an exome, you change them. You rip the water out of the exosome. The exosome is a bi lipid membrane on the outside, and there's lots of goodies on the inside. If you freeze dry, you are removing all the liquid, and you are breaking the membrane open, which spills out the cargo, spills out all those goodies. So gas, topically, you could have some effect of growth factors on your face. But if that exosome is not fully intact, it's not complete, and it tries to be captured by the cell, it can't signal you're not getting an exosome effect. It's broken. It's inactive. So we've seen this, and we've done an audit. I started doing this audit in 2023 and then it took us about a year, and we hired the world's leading researcher in exosomes, Dr Carla mazio from she's been at Boston University, MIT. She does some, you know, collaborative work at Harvard. She did her first PhD in exosomes back in 2004 when everyone else said exosomes were trash, and she came on full time on our team, and we hired her essentially, like, let's look at this whole industry, and let's look at all the tools that you have today to start analyzing blind studies at Harvard University in Boston. What's in all these products? FDA is not checking. No one's checking. And I'm an auditor, and that's kind of what I've designed, you know, to do. And I just said, consumers deserve to know. They deserve to know, are they getting a bioactive, exosome that they're paying for, or are they getting an inactive product, yet spending 1000s of dollars on something that is not an exosome and so that's exactly what we did. We hired Dr Mazzeo. Over the last year, she's been researching and using the Nano site 300 technology to see, are these particles and all of these other bottles, are they then the 30 to 150 nanometer size, to say yes, it's an exosome size, or is it a different particle? And then after you determine that yes, it's the correct size, it's 30 to 150 nanometers, you have to check that these exosomes are intact. And that's when we use the transmission electron microscope at Harvard. And so a lot of this work is in the process of publications been submitted because we believe consumers have the right to know, and we really want doctors to be educated about this very advanced new technology and help them understand how they can help their patient. But it's not by having inactive products.
Dr. Kay Durairaj: And in looking at this, you guys did electron microscopy studies talk a little bit about what that showed when we looked at what an actual nanosome looks like when it's been treated after lyophilization or rehydrated. Mike, you want to take it
Unknown: here. That is one way to actually check if you have a bioactive and functional exosome. So the thing is, as Aaron pointed out, when you freeze dry an exosome you destroy the bubble, the bio, auto by lipid layer, and then all of the all of what you have left, actually exosome degree. And there might be some some growth factors left, because proteins can be stable under freeze drying. They might have some effect, but it's only palliative, so superficial and temporary. I always like that too. Moisturizer, if you have dry skin and put a dry riser on, as long as you use the moisturizer, it looks supple and nice, but leave it away, and you're back to your dry skin. Right? An exosome can actually fix the skin that it's no longer dry. But in order to do so, it has to be intact, intact, functional. So you cannot destroy this, this bubble, otherwise you lose, for instance, all the RNAs, which provide the genetic instructions for the cell to, you know, fix itself. And this that you were talking about red flags, the prevalent problem in the field is that people get hooked on the word exosome, and they don't care where it comes from. And then you have, of course, you have, like, all those bad sheep, black sheep, and do the wireless claims like, one of the things is you have to be careful. You see it all over. Place when they claim or advertise, they have hundreds of growth factors in their exosomes. That is simply not true. It's very unscientific, and it's just a testament to their ignorance. There are roughly 50 growth factors in existence at all, and our proteomic studies, for instance, confirmed the presence of 46 of them, at least the remaining might be present, but under the threshold of detection. So all these claims are really a problem. The free all of the leading companies in the sector, freeze drying, the exosomes for the benefit of easy shipping and 10 shelf life, what you're ending up with is exosomal debris, and not exosomes. They can function as they should and could. And worse, I have a slide on this where 5 billion exosomes feast right result in 20 milligrams of some kind of powder that they then dilute with some secret liquid. And I did the math so 5 billion exosomes by roughly three microgram and when you have 20 milligrams in there, it means that 99.98% of the content is actually not even exosomal debris. There's something else with stabilizers, fillers, etc, and that's also a red flag to me, because that's something you don't want to put on your skin, you know, or into your body. You don't want to have legalizers or these chemicals. So, so we take great pride in our product that consider HDMI in scaling, and that's it. And if you look at I never inject that stuff into your body, right? Mike, like you would never want to inject the lay offline. No way. Don't do that.
Dr. Kay Durairaj: Yes, thanks. Thanks for saying that outright, because so many people out there don't do it. I see people doing IV exosomes, and it makes me want to cringe, like, yeah, you will just die of anaphylactic shock and Sep bacterial sepsis, and God, God knows what's going through your bloodstream, too. We did this
Unknown: electromicroscopy study to actually really check diligently, and we, by now, have checked 10 competitors, like the, you know, the more dominant ones in the market, and all of the lyophilized exosome products out there do not contain single exosome No,
Dr. Kay Durairaj: all you checked like 1817, or 18 different brands, right?
Unknown: Yeah, and no exosomes. I'd be furious if I was a consumer and paid all that money and had nothing in my product that was an exosome, yet labeled an exosome. And
Dr. Kay Durairaj: then so you guys are also testing other things, besides just the picture of the electron microscopy, you're also looking at biogenesis markers to show if there's like, actual active RNAs present. Mike, do you
Unknown: want to take, kind of the proteomics analysis, a little bit, kind of the some of the work we've done recently with a company called Creative, creative Bio Labs. Bio Labs, yeah, that was also for us, because, again, when, when you talk about claims, we also proposed a generic list of cargo, what an exosome typically consists of, and all the things that are typically present and what they are relevant for and good for. But we wanted to check our own exosomes for, you know, actual presence of all these. So we did some rather elaborate, or we're still in the process of doing more but elaborate proteomic study, also lipidomics, metallomics and RNA profiling. So we were keen to identify all the proteins that we hope were present, and we confirmed, or we wanted to know, how many growth factors are present in our exosomes. And I mentioned that we have, like, at least 4650 known growth factors present. We have over 250 cytokines that we identified, and all the relevant RNAs. And this, of course, gives ourselves confidence. I mean, we were confident in our product, but we wanted to substantiate our confidence, also to actually provide this kind of information to our customers, and make sure that we go beyond wild claims to just promote a product. I think everybody should deserves actually the product that they are paying for and that they deserve. Actually, the promise can be delivered of excellent therapy and therapeutics, both the regenerative medicine market as well as in cosmetics and esthetics,
Dr. Kay Durairaj: is. There a precise approach where we can direct which micro RNAs are getting encapsulated and delivered. Since we can get a, you know, 50 different growth factors, a bunch of cytokines, I'm assuming that we would like to have directed therapies where we want specific MRA fragments, specific growth factors. And is there a danger in just throwing the kitchen sink that you know Wharton's jelly works in the baby, in the fetus, to go to the cells that need it specific messaging. But do those do, those deliveries of so many growth factors and products overwhelm the skin, or is it misdirection? Is the skin getting messaging? Then belong? That belongs to neural tissue and muscular tissue and nerve tissue. That's
Unknown: a fantastic question. Um, so the good news is there's no, no danger of any sort. It's, it's, at worst is like, you know, you take too many vitamins, then you know, whatever the body cannot use will just go through. And you can, you can imagine that the same, that's the same for exosomes. So exosome therapy and technology is still early on, relatively early on, I wouldn't rule it out that down the road, you might want to manipulate them in a certain way to actually be more prone to do this, or more prone to do that, especially when it comes to treating certain diseases. I also am acutely aware of the pharma industry being very interested in creating hybrid exosomes, where they use exosomes as a carrier for certain small molecules that they develop certain medications and so on. And that all makes sense. That is, that is a little bit on the road, I would argue for right now, the exosomes that we are providing, for instance, they contain, like most of what you might be interested in, and we see them as a universal tool. So we have seen them to be successfully used treating hair, respiration conditions, skin rejuvenation, Scar prevention and reversal. We have seen them applied towards the treatment of certainly the cerebral palsy, MS and many, many things more traumatic brain injury, and it's always the same pain. It's always the same exosome and can treat a variety of conditions and what I personally feel like, it also makes sense, because within each cell of our body, we have roughly 20,000 genes that are expressed to certain levels that make cell function in a certain way. You know, it's extremely complex. I gave up a long time ago to really get to the bottom of it, because biology is just so complex that you cannot figure it out in minute detail, therefore a more holistic approach, like using the perfect exosome, if you excuse me, using that term, using the perfect exosome that provides everything an individual Cell might need to fix itself is for me, already like a major milestone. Whether we go ahead like, you know, personalize them in certain ways, I wouldn't rule it out, but it might also not be necessary find out there, Aaron,
Dr. Kay Durairaj: I have a question for you. So as an esthetic provider, then what should I be asking my exosome company for proof of in terms of purification, purity, sourcing, reliability between batches. Are there some things that you want us to ask when we're going up to the
Unknown: Yeah, absolutely. Thank you for asking. Yeah. Let's keep it simple, safety, quality, bioactivity, that's what we want to know. So from a safety perspective, do you have a certificate of conformity from a US Lab that there was all the infectious diseases and sterility done? We always ship that report with every mile, whether it's our cosmetic topical or it's our regenerol company. So safety first, last and always make sure there's a certificate conformity for all the infectious diseases and sterility that was done on the stem cells. Two, make sure the stem cells are of quality, so that they were grown in that low passage. They should not be grown more than four passages, otherwise they mutate. So safety, then quality is really making sure that they're good, good stem cell source. And then the last is, how do you ensure that they're bioactive? Well, don't get a my offline one, right? You want a product that comes with a nano site, 300 that you have exosome particles. And. Transmission electro microscope that shows your exosomes intact. This is legitimate exosome sourcing. If you don't have safety, quality and bioactivity, and that's confirmed by your distributor or your sales person or manufacturer, then it's basically buying fool's gold. Wow.
Dr. Kay Durairaj: And then tell me some brands that you think do have the safety, quality and bioactivity.
Unknown: So I know the analysis so far, you have to start with who manufactures stem cells? Yes, there's only three Wharton's jelly stem cell manufacturers in the United States left today, and one of them only sells to research companies. The other is only in clinical trial. We're the only commercial Wharton jelly medical grade stem cell manufacturer in the United States. There are some in Costa Rica, Panama. There used to be the main Wuhan Institute in China. But at this point, we are the only commercially available. So if you ask me, what product would you put on your pinpoint, bleeding face, I would say only age zero. I can't recommend another product fully from a full auditing perspective. Now we have some more. The only products we tested where the layoff lies. We wanted to get the heavy hitters, bad hitters, out first. Now there is a company out of Pennsylvania. It's that exosl bio company, right? Exosl bio, they at least have a quality report. They show what they test for. I don't know how many passages they do, but they do come from a perinatal source, they do provide a certificate of quality. But other than that, we've done extensive auditing, and the data is not there for safety for 99% of the companies out there. That's just a fact.
Dr. Kay Durairaj: Yeah, and for consumers listening just the buyer beware that these products are cosmeceuticals, which means they're no one looks at the ingredients, the safety profile they're applied. Designed for topical skin use only, not for injection microneedling only, not subcutaneous injections and IV deliveries and all of that. And that includes for hair, skin, body, everything. Because I don't think patients realize that too,
Unknown: right? And I'm just concerned where we started the exact oversight so exact stands for exosomes, auditing compliance and testing members organization and to help maintain the future of exosomes. Exosomes has an incredibly bright future. The work we're seeing in delaying of Alzheimer's, cardiac children's cerebral palsy, every area of the body and the opportunity to regenerate. This is the future of medicine, and we cannot afford for exosm companies in here to ride a hype and destroy the name, destroy quality. So we can't get started on that path. I don't want to happen in the stem cell world. 20 years ago with Bucha and COVID, be right. We have an opportunity for incredible future, and the things that Mike and I have seen with patients is really so sci fi, and if it wasn't real, it would just think that you're dreaming. But we've seen amazing results that everyone will want someday, and the only way we're gonna get that is if we protect the name exosm.
Dr. Kay Durairaj: Can you walk us through one of your hero products for Facial Esthetics, and what's how it works? What kind of results we can expect?
Unknown: Yeah, having to thanks for asking. Before we got in the industry, we wanted to do a clinical trial and understand dose that's important to us, and we didn't see major clinical trials working on dose. So we did 100 patient trial and divided into three groups, post micro needling, three microning sessions month apart, and they got 5 billion exosomes, 50 or 100 and we thought, Great, 100. We hope that wins. We're the world's biggest manufacturer of exomes. We can do a huge dose reality, 5 billion is fantastic. Dose you apply it topically after microneedling or laser, reduces redness, improves skin texture, glow, fine lines, wrinkles, you know, all the things that we're really looking for. I love taking our exosomes, and every day after exfoliating on the shower, I love to spritz them on with an oxygen mister. It feels so good. I would always use an oxygen mister because it comes on cold. So if you're doing a microneedling treatment or laser, it feels great. And instead of just dropping the excess guns on that are in Saline once and rubbing it in, you get many applications, because that fine mister. I love that. We've got a bunch of hair studies going on right now. Hair is a complex field. We've got all different ages, diseases that are immune health conditions. But, you know, I would say, start using exosomes. Drop them on every few days, right away. If you feel like you're having some thinning hair, it's great for scalp conditioning. And then we're in the front. Process of launching an intimate tissue product, really, really setting indications of, how do you improve vaginal atrophy? I turned 40 in just, I think, eight days. So the perimenopause conversation is, is big for me right now. And I as an engineer, if I start getting scared of something, I really want to work on it. So the product we're working on right now with them, you know, postpartum and perimenopause, menopause is our next gen and, like, what else we got, a lot of stuff in our parent company, clinical trial on cardiac you know, do you name it? Post hydrogel? Yeah, the hydrogel, yeah, and preventing scar formation or like, really, like, yeah, Scar prevention and also scar reversal to some degree, decade old scars that got microneedled and then treated with exosomes, and you see major improvement, which is interesting, because the reversal of scar tissue was always A dogma are considered not to be possible at all. It's just not true, and it just goes to show what the potential of true exosomes really are. I mean, they can really they have the capacity for total regeneration and repair, and can affect a replacement of scar tissue with more functional tissue. Again, that's really remarkable. And then we also working on a skincare line, but we are doing that very carefully, because we find that the ingredients and the quality and the sourcing of those formulations has to match the quality standards of the exosomes. So you don't just like use the random generic you know, cream or something, and mix in some exosomes that just wouldn't do them justice. So that's something we are working on on a more scientific level. And I think that when you when you ask what to watch out for, what red flags to avoid, you should really vet the provider of your exosols. Many do. They manufacture stem cells themselves, because if they don't, they have no control over where those exosomes really come from, what the quality is, etc. So that would be a red flag, and we are deeply rooted in regenerative medicine. But I'm not saying it only because of that fact that I would always argue, no matter who you choose as a provider for your exosomes, if they are not dabbling in regenerative medicine, they are not doing their exosomes just and they are not providing the real deal. Because all the exosomes we actually provide, also for the cosmetics and esthetics market, are medical grade to the highest bankers, because we feel it's important and it's just right. And as Aaron pointed out, when you get your face microneedled, it's basically a very big open wound, and don't want to put anything on there. That's not medical grade. So in this context, even though Cosmetics is highly unregulated, I think they should both have the same standards of quality and safety
Dr. Kay Durairaj: in terms of stem cells, then, Mike, are you? Can you say a few words on that? Because that is also everywhere, and also there's so many charlatans promoting fake science. I wanted to maybe bring people some of your key ideas on stem cells in terms of treatment options. Absolutely.
Unknown: Yeah, there are bad actors everywhere and similar problem. Sometimes you get offered stem cell treatments with the virus claims that treat any disease. And in theory, that's That's true. I mean, you can actually address any kind of conditional disease with the right kind of stem cell, and then it's just about figuring out the route of application, the right dosing, the frequency, and so on. And each person, each patient, might have an individual response to it. So that is not as trivial. There is the potential that you can treat virtually every disease, but it is, again, very complex, and we don't yet have any established benchmarks, but stem cell therapy works, and that's, again, where we come from. We originally created the stem cells to stem cell therapy, and then we realized basically those exosomes in the day when I started stem cell therapy, we thought we inject stem cell and they replace tissue. That was not the case. Instead, they threw what's called Paracrine signaling. And how will they do that? They actually affect any benefits through secretion of exosomes. Exosomes are actually containing everything you need, and they're secreted from the from the stem cells and go to the target cells. And there are the means by which the stem cells operate. So they are experts in cell cell signaling and communication. And you go, that's the next. Evolutionary step of stem cell therapy for exosomes only. I think it's really exciting for people who might be listening though that are looking for stem cell treatment, is that as of July 1, it looks like Florida's passing the bill for stem cells treatment for wounds, pain and orthopedic use, you have already passed a law and, um, there's at least one other so this is kind of state by state rolling and you're in Florida, put in these quality manufacturing regulatory standards, right? They, they implemented it into the standard. So, um, as of July, 1, for the first time ever in the state of Florida, Jonathan market king, they can market, or the feta thick and market. So that's a big win, win for our industry.
Dr. Kay Durairaj: That's amazing. Well, you guys, in summary, I wanted to ask you a couple quick personal questions. If you had to focus on one of the hallmarks of aging, is there one track that you think is going to lead us to lead us to the cancer, telomere, mitochondria, DNA repair, Mike or Aaron, either one.
Unknown: Personally, I cannot claim this to be very scientific, because right now, it's more conviction based on bearings and what I've seen, but I do have a hunch that exosomes, certain ways might be, comes some fountain of you. Yeah, we have seen actual reversal of age. H, you know, issues like hair restoration was the most obvious one, where a person in their mid 40s got thinning hair, we microneedled and put some exosomes on it was our patient zero. Was the husband of our CMO, and after just one treatment, four weeks later, the hair was visibly denser. But not only that, it was also darker. He had dark hair, and keeping his age was salt and pepper, but the patch that was treated was overall darker, and similarly, our Chairman, Aaron's Father, he is in his mid 70s. Now, he had a big bald spot on top of his head. And we treated that micro needling plus exosomes. And after two treatments, he was initially a little bit underworld because he saw some baby hair growing in the middle of the patch, but he was hoping for a little more. But truth be told, he also had a ball spot for some 30 years, I think. And then when check those photographs, we realized that the bald spot got much smaller. It was half the size, basically. So it just goes to show that we actually reverse time indeed, because that's how a bald spot grows, right? It's thinning at first small ball catch, and then it grows larger and larger. And treating it with exosomes, it went the same way in reverse. So talking about rejuvenation, overuse, buzz word, my sense, like we see that we can return we can turn back the clock. We can reverse aging. So if you're asking about the potential pixel for you know, a fountain of you, yes, sir, I would think that we'll get there if we figure out how dosage frequencies and so on, and boot up applications, I think we will see remarkable things.
Dr. Kay Durairaj: Oh, that's so exciting. My goodness, if I worked at age zero, I'd have that on all over we do. And Aaron, what's your usual bioacting regimen for yourself at home? Do you have a supplement stack that you take, or what do you do in this day? Super healthy. Yeah,
Unknown: no. So I'm like Mike. I'm a age zero, exosome girl all the way. I've never done Botox. I do micro needling, RF, laser. But I want to see what the world looks like for me without filler. I want to be that first person who is only using exosomes. I'm 39 I want to see what I look like at 2075 I want to be the person that has exosomes all day, every day, missing them in we'll be inhaling them the nasal spray, right? These are the products of the future, and I'm very lucky that I get to live in the world where we see that. So
Dr. Kay Durairaj: how about orally? Is there an oral supplement, exosome that repairs the GI tract yet?
Unknown: No, that's actually something that's being worked on. Is timing the capsule to release at the right point. Yeah, so cool, yeah. So suppositories. I mean, we're talking about any way you can get an exosome in. Is of interest to our company, right? Because we like to study all of it. We like to see what's happening with the body. And we're so lucky to have incredible doctors and researchers around the world coming to us and saying, hey, I want to study this. And as the world's largest producer of exomes, we say, Absolutely, let's do it. So, Dr, k, if there's anything you want to study, oh my gosh, I have a little algorithm. I have an email ready for you. Got the product,
Dr. Kay Durairaj: we can bring it together. I would really like to try it and do some really good studies myself. You guys take anything for your own health, like NAD Are you taking magnesium? Are you taking, hopefully, vitamin D, etc. We've got a
Unknown: lot of the doctors that do a lot of combination work with NAD and stem cells and exosomes. So, you know, they feel like it's a great combo.
Dr. Kay Durairaj: Yeah, announcing, well, I have just really enjoyed this last hour. It's flown by. But the knowledge that we're giving to the esthetic community and the people out there at large is so valuable, because there is so much hype out there. And I think having a committee to really look at these standards is really critical for like you said, we want exosomes to reach point they become medical therapies that will never happen if the FDA shuts it down for Bosnia and some other zones, you know. So you guys, where can people find you if they want to stay in touch with Aaron and with Mike?
Unknown: Great question. We just got approved by forefront dermatology, so you can find us there at any of their offices. We are easy to purchase directly from in the United States. We've got sales reps all over, but you can just reach out order online. And then we're in Dubai, Pakistan, Lebanon, Qatar. We're growing all over the place. Every day, new people are finding us and saying, Oh, at last, we found a company that checks all the boxes.
Dr. Kay Durairaj: I love that. And then you're going to stay at the helm of the xsM exact oversight Bureau is really a mission that I think people who want to market their exemption voluntarily submit their data to you and like show that they're so great. Hopefully, that's hopefully, that's the news. Newest standards. Do you want to give out your Instagram handles or company websites?
Unknown: Yeah, so where you can find us is R, E, S, I, L, I, E, L, L, E, resilient, and we're growing, and we're excited to be new players in this esthetics industry. So thank you so much for for having us. What a pleasure exosomes.
Dr. Kay Durairaj: Yeah, and Dr Mike, thank you for your insights. You are a world class stem cell researcher at this hour of having your attention, so
Unknown: we're lucky to have Mike is a game changer for us all. Thanks to you and your wonderful questions. Yes, thank
Dr. Kay Durairaj: you so much. We'll do it again soon. That's it for now. Guys, don't forget to find me on my instagram. It's Beauty by Dr, k, d, r, k, a, y, doing amazing things for different faces. We know we have an injector teaching platform. It's called Modern esthetic theory and artistry. Definitely going to talk about these. I just know these and all the standards and for our injectors out there, don't forget to come visit me, fairvin la, and that's it for now, guys, stay beautiful. You.