Caitlin Van Mol: This episode contains descriptions of violence. Listener discretion is advised. This episode is also the first international interview I've done for this show, which is really cool, but also means I couldn't send a microphone out. So just want to say I did my best with the audio here. Okay,
Peter: here's the show, because he certainly didn't want to be charged with a murder
Caitlin Van Mol: in 2008 Peter Brandt was living on Whitby Island, which is just north of Seattle, Washington,
Peter: and the only in and out was by ferry. I was a commercial real estate investor, managing apartments and acquiring properties. I had purchased a home that was in need of completing a Boeing and Microsoft couple had worked over the years on weekends, fixing up this house, and it didn't have any interior finishes. It had plumbing but no electrical. It had a roof and it had landscaping, and nobody could get financing for it, but with my expertise and my real estate license and so on, the bank agreed that I was capable of managing the project, and they loaned me the money with
Caitlin Van Mol: financing secured, Peter needed to find someone to actually do the work. While I was
Peter: preparing to find a builder or contractor to assist me on the project, Brent Decker was working with a local friend of mine on replacing a floor the bedroom. And as I was there, he was doing the work, we kind of hit it off. And at some point, you know, he he realized that I had a house that I was going to fix up, and so he wanted to see it. And I took him over there, and he had all kinds of ideas. And he turned out to be quite dynamic. He showed me a portfolio that was had custom homes that he had done in in California, and they were really tasteful. He put me on the phone one time when he was talking to this guy who you know, and he he was a reference, and he said, you know, this guy is, is really, really good. He's done a lot of work for me. He's like a master builder. He can design without a plan and build it right then and there. I mean, custom cabinetry and sound systems. He was a renaissance man. What did he look like? You know, he looked a little a little bit skittish at time 10, he was a motor mouth. I mean, he he would, he could talk on any subject. I said to myself, This guy's a cross between Michelangelo and Da Vinci.
Caitlin Van Mol: Once they got electricity working, Peter moved in and lived there full time while work was still being completed on the house.
Peter: And not only that, it turned out, in conversation with him that he had worked as a chef at one time. So he said, Man, I love working for you, with you so much, I'm going to bless you with my cooking. And it really was fantastic. You know, it was certainly a bonus having them around, you know, it wasn't something that you expect from your contractor.
Caitlin Van Mol: Yeah, I wouldn't expect to be fed dinner,
Peter: but it was taking them some time to, you know, because he was coming from, I'm going to say, you know, maybe 50 miles away, including a ferry trip. And if there was traffic, which, you know, there usually was, then it would really limit the amount of time that he had to work, you know. And so finally, you know, I said, you know, wouldn't it make sense? How about if you stayed here a couple nights a week so we could get more production done? And he said, some reason he was going to have to to move. But he told me, you know, it'd be, it'd be better if I just lived here and you know, there, there'd be no commute at any time. We just get her, get her done. And I said, Okay, that's that works for me.
Caitlin Van Mol: So Brent moved in to finish the job, but letting Brent this far into Peter's life would change everything. This is lived to tell the podcast where I talk to some of the bravest people who have been through the most horrifying things and lived to tell the tale. I'm Caitlin Van Mol I just want to ask about what your relationship with him is. Are you friends? Do you guys hang outside of the house?
Peter: Well, we would mainly just to get supplies and everything. I I generally wouldn't, wouldn't socialize with him, you know, because I had to keep. A as best I could, a business relationship. So we didn't hang out all the time together, but we might take a trip, you know, about 45 minute trip to a Home Depot, get supplies, you know, run some errands and and then
Caitlin Van Mol: drive back to the friendly, but not friends,
Peter: yeah, that would be a good description. And then in the evenings, he would do art and play his artwork. And it seemed like he was he'd stay up a good part of the night. And you know, I thought, God, that's kind of weird. I hear movement around at night. Well, I can't really sleep that well. And you know, I hope I'm not disturbing you. And then another thing was when the Mormons would proselytize in the area, and when they would come to the door, he would engage them with questions that they would have to go to Salt Lake City administrators to answer. And like, what? Like, you know, what is the Mormon Church's perspective on anything, you know, abortion and this and that, and then he was a good debater. So eventually, like, three or four of them were coming at a time, you know, because they were really serious about answering every question he had, and he loved it. And by the end, you know, there, I think the one day, there was five people. And he said, he told them before they came, he said, Look, I've been listening to you now for several months. And he he'd gone to a potluck dinner at the Mormon church with them. And you know, they were friendly towards each other, but they came and, you know, for the final time, and he said, I I'm gonna perform a concert for you, because, you know, you're always, you know, telling me your philosophies and, you know, the religious parts of it. And so he got on his guitar, he had an amp set up in the living room, and he actually played a concert for him. And it was just surreal. I'm going, this is just weird.
Caitlin Van Mol: What kind of music did he play? It was,
Peter: it was some kind of rock and roll, you know. I mean, it was really heavy, you know, probably nearing on heavy metal electric guitar.
Caitlin Van Mol: Yes, famously, the Mormons favorite heavy metal
Peter: can you imagine the picture? I mean, I actually went outside at some point, because it was just like, this is over the top for me.
Caitlin Van Mol: But once the work was complete, Brent didn't seem to be in a hurry to move on.
Peter: The project was already complete, and I was trying to point him towards, okay, now you know it's time, you know it's time for you to move on. The project's done. He had fallen in love with my H I had an HD video camera that he really liked, and he liked working with me, and he wanted to shoot vignettes of Whidbey Island to sell to people that wanted to retire there so they could actually feel what the island was like and the beauty and so on. And he was really good at it, but I didn't want him living there anymore. So I, you know, I had told him, you know, okay, you need to start looking. I didn't want to push it too hard, but, you know, I was in the process of saying, Okay, it's time
Caitlin Van Mol: to move along. Was he paying rent at all?
Peter: He didn't pay rent. Hmm,
Caitlin Van Mol: was that ever discussed?
Peter: No, I didn't. I don't know whether he would have agreed to that, but my you know, when you're working with a bank, you don't want to be slow on on the project. So I wanted to be able to show progress and not not have them question. You know, the viability of the project, by
Caitlin Van Mol: June 11, 2008 Brent had really worn out his welcome.
Peter: He had been a woman on the bus on the island, and he told me that day, man, I met this gal, and I think she's pretty cool. She's quite special. Then I think a day or so later, he said, Hey, would you mind if my gal came over and, you know, so she could see the project? I said, No, that'd be fine. So she lived in Seattle, which was about an hour away, and and, you know, well, would it be okay if she spent the night? Okay? You know, I met her, and she was very nice, and everything was cool. She stayed the night, and in the morning, I'm hearing Stern, almost arguing, I guess that you would call it, and to the point where I said, Excuse me, but you can't raise your voice here. In my house, so one of you is going to have to step out. Well, she agreed to step out, and while she was outside, I told her, I said, I think that you better go, and I would suggest that you don't come back here. This guy's being a little over aggressive with you, and I don't want that to happen in my house. And I said, I'm on my I'm going to be on my way soon here to go to my real estate office, which is right near the ferry dock, so I'll be glad to drop you out there. She said, Okay. And then I went back in the house, and there he was, and he said, she's probably going to ask you for a ride to the ferry dock. And, you know, I didn't acknowledge that she had done that. Instead, she got her things and got in my car and we went on the way to the ferry, and along the way, I got a phone call from him on my cell phone, and he said, Peter, your HD video camera is missing, and we both were using it. And so, you know, essentially, you know, I'm acknowledging that. You know, both of us know that it was there this morning, so you need to check her belongings. I first explained to her, you know, what was going on, and she she agreed to be checked, and I didn't come up with anything. So I said, took her to the ferry and dropped her off, and she got on the ferry, and off she went. The next thing was that I, instead of going to my real estate office, as I had intended, I felt as if I needed to settle the camera situation with Brent back at the house. So I drive back, I go walk in the door, and he goes, would you Did you find anything? I said, No. I said, she said she didn't have it. You say you don't know where it is. And I said, I'm going to do what people do when they're in a situation like that, is, I'm just going to have the police investigate it,
Caitlin Van Mol: bringing up, going to the police. Snapped something in Brent when
Peter: I said that, all of a sudden, I was hit multiple, multiple times with about a three foot piece of hardwood. In fact, it was coming at me so fast, over my head and my shoulders and my body that I couldn't even put together what was happening. It just was a moment that you know, what is this? Why? And I passed out, and I don't know how long I was out, but when I came to I thought, this is a very dangerous moment. What am I going to do? I have got to be as creative as I've ever been in my life, and I'm going to have to extricate myself with this. So I thought, well, I'll just run next door to a neighbor.
Caitlin Van Mol: Where are you in the house? At this point, we're in an on an
Peter: upper floor, and there's a stairway nearby, and we tussle going down a staircase to the kitchen, and I can't seem to get out of his grip. And when he gets me to the kitchen, he puts me in a position on my back, where I'm next to the set of drawers that had a cutlery drawer, and he pulls out a two pronged Turkey fork, and he's just about ready to drive it through my heart. He's got it over his head. And I said, Is there any reason why somebody needs to die here? I said, we both have sons. I'd certainly want to see my son. I'm sure you'd want to see yours too. I said, I will I forgive you and I will help you in any way I can. That was my light bulb moment. I thought, you know, when I was thinking about how to handle this, I thought, I'll forgive him.
Caitlin Van Mol: What made you say that I
Peter: I knew that there was a good possibility that I was going to be killed, because I there was no way that he could have predicted that I would live with how hard he was hitting me. I mean, I had head injuries. I could feel where I'd been hit on the shoulders. I had to do something unusual, and I was afraid to be physically violent. Because, even if, if I could have, because I, in my mind, I pictured being in a courtroom, and it's my word against his, and he's dead, and how do I explain that to somebody? I just wanted to resolve this without physical you know, any more? Physical conflict. And so when I told him I forgave him, his eyes went from the look of the devil. Have you ever seen that in someone where they just look like the devil has temporarily got a hold of him? That's what he looked like. And when I said, I forgive you, he melted, and late later, he told me. He said, If you hadn't forgiven me, I would have killed you, because no one in my life has ever forgiven me. Turned out, you know, I found out later that, I think by about age 12, he was living on the street is he felt the need to go on his own at that age, so he was apparently street wise and and could certainly take care of himself.
Caitlin Van Mol: But street smarts can only take you so far after you've attacked your employer and now have to deal with a mess of blood all over the house.
Peter: He sit back, and he goes, this is a heinous crime. You looked around and said, We gotta, we've gotta get out of here. And I said, Well, you know, I've got somebody that's, you know, that's coming over, and I'm not sure exactly when. And he said, Hey, if anybody walks in this house or knocks at the door there, they will be killed, and I'm going to bury him under the patio deck. I'm like, Whoa, let's get out of here to them, because I really don't want anybody else to have to go through this. Yeah, he took me up to the upstairs bathroom, and He nursed my wounds. He he had a first aid kit. He cleaned, you know, head injuries with alcohol and wrapped my head. It's like, God, one minute you're, you know, you're this evil person, and the next minute you're, you're nursing my wound. It was kind of hard to wrap my head around that
Caitlin Van Mol: Peter was doing his best to be cooperative. Brent was being nice now, but obviously could become violent any second while in the bathroom, Brent put zip ties around Peter's ankles and wrists,
Peter: and he said, I'm going to take all my tools and all my belongings and I'm going to put him in your van. And then he said, we're going to go on the run. I'm going to hand you off somebody in California. It's like some bikers or so, and then I'll go into Mexico, and then I'll have them hand me off to him, and then we'll be on the run in Mexico together. And I'm like, holy shit. How's this gonna work? Yeah, I don't know what to expect.
Caitlin Van Mol: It took Brent about an hour to pack everything and load it into the van.
Peter: Eventually, he takes me out to the van, and there's the van is, you know, is full of tools and his belongings, but there's a shape in the middle of the cargo area that is about the size of my body. I thought, Oh no, so I had to, I lay on my back and he's going to drive the highway access to avoid the ferry because he's afraid I might scream or yell when we're on the ferry. So we, we our first stop is at a bank where he demands my debit card and my pen, and he takes $500
Caitlin Van Mol: then Brent started driving south, out of Washington and into California.
Peter: We started. We drove all night, and I was familiar with highway 101, which is fairly desolate, and I kind of played, I knew personally that I could open the van even if it was locked from the inside. Then I thought, you know, middle of the night, and I'm going to jump out of the van, and then, you know what, if he catches up with me, and then certainly I'll be finished if he catches me. So I thought, Okay, I'll just go with the flow here, and I'm hoping that he's speeding, you know, so that we maybe we could be stopped by a police why it's
Caitlin Van Mol: going through your mind? Because this is hours and hours. I
Peter: am incredibly relaxed. I'm almost in a state of, I would call it Nirvana, you know, I just was relaxed. I wasn't gonna worry, you know, it's gonna, you know, there will be a positive outcome. And I realized that anybody else that might be in this position might be screaming, crying, yelling, you know, and probably end up doing something stupid that will end up having, you know, having you ended, yeah, so I don't know where that came from, but people. Have told me in the past that, you know, there could be a fire, they say, and you would be the calmest person in the room.
Caitlin Van Mol: Peter started formulating a plan to get himself out of this situation.
Peter: My next strategy was to feign near death. I was moaning and grown, and it turned out to be quite effective. He stopped at a gas station and he bought vitamins and he brought me water. And again, that was that catch 22 thing where here's this guy that's been your perpetrator is now aiding you in some way, very confusing, but he says, I know a nurse along this highway, and he said, I want to have her check your condition, because he was afraid, you know, I was going to die based On my my behavior, right? And so he says, Okay, we're here. I'm gonna run in there and I'll be right back out. And when he came out, he said, she won't see you for ethical reasons. So she says, Just get him to a hospital. So he said, we're gonna go to Sacramento, and I'm gonna drop off all my gear. I'm gonna leave it with a mini storage and then we'll go straight to the hospital after
Caitlin Van Mol: that. And shockingly, that's exactly what they did.
Peter: And I think within 15 or 20 minutes, we were at UC Davis, California. He stops next to the hospital parking lot. He's driving, you know, my van. He's got my cell phone, he's got my wallet. He says, I'm going to be monitoring my warrant, so don't turn me in, but I'm going to let you go. You give me a 15 minute head start, and after 15 minutes, you can go into the hospital. And then he hands me all my belongings, and he disappears.
Caitlin Van Mol: Peter didn't know anything about a warrant out for Brent, and that was really the least of his worries at the moment.
Peter: So after 15 minutes, I thought I better, better last the full 15 minutes here, and after 15 minutes, I got up, locked the van up, and I stood outside the hospital, and I called my son. I said, Michael, this is your dad. I'm I'm here in California. I've been kidnapped on the overnight, and I've just been released in a hospital. He's like, what? So I said, but I need to, you know, go get medical care. I just want to let you know, and I'll be in bone touch with you. So I go into the hospital, and it's so busy that their patients stacked up in the hallways. It's crawling with police.
Caitlin Van Mol: When Peter told police the story. They told him he needed to report the crime in Washington.
Peter: And they extend a hospital spokesperson, and they come up to me and they say, hey. They said, can we get you a, you know, book a hotel room for you? And I said, No, I don't want to be here any longer than I need to, you know? I want to have my medical assistance, and then I want to go home. Drive home. I said, Okay, so I was in there probably at 1pm and at 10, just up around 10 of 10pm I was released. I had staples put in my head, you know, they they took some X rays and did a bunch of things.
Caitlin Van Mol: Peter didn't want to stay in the hospital a single second longer than was necessary, so he left and tried to find something to eat.
Peter: And I found an Italian restaurant. Man, that sounds really great. So I parked there and saunter into the restaurant, but I was still in my my victim clothes. You know, I had blood spattered clothing. Yeah, I know I now was going on the second day without shaving,
Caitlin Van Mol: and I'm sure there's blood in your hair. And,
Peter: yeah, and they're just locking the front door. It's, it's closing time. And the guy looks up at me, and he goes, My God, what in the world happened to you? And I said, Well, I'm the victim of a kidnapping, you know. And I shared the story with him, and he said, Well, it's your lucky day. Dinner's on us, and we're going to stay open for you. Oh, thank you very much.
Caitlin Van Mol: After dinner, Peter went to a mall parking lot for the night,
Peter: and I locked myself in the cargo compartment of the van under a bright series of street lights, and I sat. My alarm for 5am well,
Caitlin Van Mol: why? Why didn't you stay at a hotel?
Peter: Because I want, I want, you know, I wanted to be with my kinfolk. Yeah,
Caitlin Van Mol: you know, I don't know. Just instead of sleeping in your car, I
Peter: wasn't really in the mood to be exploring for anything other than an Italian restaurant.
Caitlin Van Mol: The next morning, Peter woke up and started driving home.
Peter: I call my former wife, and she's a great communicator and really very responsive in emergent situations. And you know, she says, Look, you need to find a place where you can buy some clothes, and then you need, before you get to Seattle, you need to stop at a truck stop, take a shower, change into new clothes, so you don't brighten your sun. And I'm so excited to be, you know, headed towards home,
Caitlin Van Mol: but before he could get to a truck stop and get himself cleaned up, he got pulled over by a police officer.
Peter: He says, Sir, do you know how fast you were driving? And I said, No, sir, I'm sorry. I'm just, you know, recovering from a kidnapping, and I wasn't really paying attention my speedway. Well, you were 30 miles an hour over the speed limit. And he said, But hold on a second. And he ran back to his squad car, you know, he rang my ran my ID, and he came back, back to the car. He goes, get out of here. Go report this, you know, go to your home area and, you know, report this. And that was the end of that. So it's just like, Get out of here. Kid, you know,
Caitlin Van Mol: right? Yeah, I'm sure he saw the state of you, and was like, I don't want to be,
Peter: yeah, because I was afraid. I was afraid they were, you know, they wouldn't believe the story. You know that they did. He did.
Caitlin Van Mol: So Peter kept driving and stopped at a truck stop to take a quick shower, then drove the rest of the way to his ex wife's house. How did you feel being back surrounded by people that you knew and trusted?
Peter: Oh, it's great. I mean, it's what you it's what you need. I mean, you can imagine, you sort of lose a little sense of, you know, the hope for mankind. You know when something like this happens? I mean, the worst. You know that you can observe the
Caitlin Van Mol: next morning, Peter went to the sheriff's office to report the kidnapping. Again,
Peter: it's a Saturday morning, and there's hardly anybody at the counter, and when I finally aroused somebody, the guy says, Oh, I'm sorry. We can't take a report. The sheriff is home, and he's asked not to be disturbed. So I can't, I can't contact him. So I suggest that you would. There's another precinct where there's one sergeant station about 10 miles from here. So I suggest you go there, and what I'm like, okay, buddy. Now it's been a couple of days, and this is a federal crime, and I can't talk to your sheriff,
Caitlin Van Mol: so Peter drove to the other station to try again.
Peter: So I drive up to this little precinct, you know, which is essentially a hole in the wall, and there's this crusty old sergeant sitting there, you know, after about 10 seconds, you know, he looks up, what can I do to help you? Well, I wanted to report a kidnapping, and he said, of who I said, of me. So he listened to my story, you know, about three minutes of a story, and he goes, You know what? I don't believe you.
Caitlin Van Mol: Oh my gosh.
Peter: I said, Why don't you, why don't you jump in your little squad car and follow me out to the house, and I'll show you the DNA evidence of the crime. How about that? So he follows me to my house, and we get there, he pulls out a little Brownie camera, you know, like it looked like it was about 25 years old, you know, no focus or anything. You know, he's taking pictures of a crime scene. He looks at me very apologetically, and he says, I believe you now, and I'm very sorry that i He said, We got people that report the craziest things, and this had some of the markings So, but it was Saturday. By that time, he says, I can't get a detective out here for until Tuesday. So he says, take this form and fill out a report and bring that, you know, hand it over to the detective when you meet on Tuesdays.
Caitlin Van Mol: Does crime just not happen there on weekends? Like, why is no one working?
Peter: The light isn't on, you know? I mean, in other words, if it happened in Seattle, you know, I was told that, you know, there would have been all kinds of advocacy, but, but there. Sure it's like, you know, Sorry, we're closed.
Caitlin Van Mol: So finally, on a weekday, Peter was able to meet with a detective.
Peter: On Tuesday, I get a call from the detective, and he goes, you want to meet at your house? Or I said, How about if we meet at a coffee shop? And so, you know, 20 minutes later, we're sitting over a cup of coffee, and I tell him the story, and he goes, I got one answer for this. What's that? F, B, I. They go, really? They happen to have an office in Everett, Washington, which was just across the Puget Sound. So they were just there. Oh, and it was a moment where you were just proud to be an American, because they were collecting DNA. And he said, he said, Do you know how lucky you are? Normally, when we investigate a kidnapping, we're we're sifting through evidence. There's no person to talk to Yeah, that person was dead, and he said, This is a movie. You've got to make sure this makes it to the movie screen.
Caitlin Van Mol: If this was a movie, the investigation probably would be wrapped up in a neat little bow in a few days. But in reality, it took nearly two and a half years to catch Brent. Even though the FBI was actively looking for him, Peter didn't feel safe with him still out there.
Peter: The last thing he told me is, you know, if you report me, I'll be monitoring my warrants, and if, if you report me, I'll either kill you, or have you killed? You understand that. So during that time, here I am on this island, and anytime somebody would knock on the door, or I'd receive a phone call, you know, where there wasn't anybody on the other end of the line, I would just sweat. You know, it just made me very anxious. Later, I realized I was diagnosed as having PTSD from the incident.
Caitlin Van Mol: When did you first start experiencing symptoms?
Peter: Well, right away. I mean, I had been working in a real estate office on my own account. I was investing in multifamily properties. I was managing my portfolio. And when I would go into that office, you know, I'm just, I just, I'm sitting there in the office, and I'm just thinking, what's it all about Alfie? It's like, what's important? I mean, the only things that are important are human relationships and doing the right thing. And, you know, living your life with honor and all the rest is just cake decoration, right? I was so anxious I couldn't sit in that real estate office and pretend like I cared about the work, because it didn't really matter. Coincidentally, the world downturn was happening. Yeah, this is 2008 Yeah, at the same time. So fortunately, I've been able to sell my properties when they were at the peak of the market, so I had funds to live on, and I could live throughout the entire economic counter. Otherwise I would have had a double whammy. I would have been dealing with my PTSD and trying to figure out how to work. It took two and a half years to catch this guy. The FBI finally caught him in the act.
Caitlin Van Mol: Brent was arrested in California for failing to register as a sex offender. According to court reports, Brent had committed three armed robberies and attempted to escape from prison before he entered his 20s. After Brent was released from prison for the robberies. He raped and strangled his wife. His wife survived the ordeal, and Brent returned to prison upon his release. This time, Brent needed to register as a sex offender, which he did not when he was arrested after kidnapping Peter. It had been his third time failing to register. Brent pled guilty to the kidnapping.
Peter: You know, eventually they say, you know, he's, he's admitted to this thing, and he's, he's willing to cop a plea. And, you know, I asked him, I said, I don't really want to go to a hearing. I don't want I don't have anything to do with them. I don't want to see him. They said, Well, we've got to deal with him. He'll serve 14 and a half years. And I said, Okay, let's go ahead and do that, and I don't want to attend the proceeding. And they said, Okay, that's fine.
Caitlin Van Mol: Why didn't you want to go?
Peter: I just didn't need, you know, I'd already experienced the crime. There just was no need to be there other than maybe for some kind of ego gratification. But I didn't need that, right? So why go? I think the guy was about maybe 38 years old, and they, you know, they, the judge said, you know, by the time he's released from prison, he'll be, you know, an aging man, and all the piss and vinegar will probably be out of them.
Caitlin Van Mol: Brent Decker is still in federal prison, but Peter still had to live with the consequences of what happened to him, which included the need for a new job.
Peter: You know, the state asked me, What can we do for you? Okay, I need to be connected, reconnected with a vocation where I can do something that's doesn't make me anxious, and one of the first places they referred me to was Starbucks was offering a position. And I'm going, when I go at a Starbucks and I see people ordering, you know, double double latte with cornstarch whip, I'm like, There's no way I can keep up with all those descriptions. I said I'd last there about one day. The good thing about it was I got there was a counselor there with the state that was really understanding the situation. What they gave me was understanding and communication with the seriousness of what had happened and how to, you know, build back and and that really helped. Because, you know, even from people that I knew, you know, some people were like, Why can't you just get over this, you know, like, somehow you can just, you know, unplug a circuit, and then, you know, the whole thing goes away. There has to be some grieving period.
Caitlin Van Mol: Yeah, you have to kind of come to terms with this whole new life.
Peter: Yeah. So one that was really helpful, the state had recommended, you know, that I there was a job fair that I should go to, and I meet this lady who was, she said she represented the Mormon church and that they had an employment agency. And she says you don't need to be religious to be part of our service. And she says it's a worldwide network, and we have a global curriculum. They had a classroom computers, and that every they would meet every single weekday, and there would be a couple people from the agency there. And so that that structure really helped me in a time where, you know, I was struggling to find, you know how to
Unknown: cope. What did you do for work? I had an associate
Peter: that was a also a property owner, and so I, I was involved in managing some of the properties, and then I also did some work at Home Depot and Macy's as a cashier. Okay, you know it was, it wasn't, it didn't fulfill who I was, but it was, you know, a routine. And you know, I could go through the motions
Caitlin Van Mol: while his routine was really helpful for Peter to manage his PTSD, something would come along that would completely disrupt that
Peter: love. Ultimately, I met a woman that was Filipino and is very understanding and has a lot of empathy, and we turned out to be a great match. So I, I ended up retiring at age 63 you know, we had decided to marry, and then I was able to leave the US and put all this behind me today.
Caitlin Van Mol: Peter happily lives in the Philippines with his wife, and
Peter: then I got involved with Zumba, of all things. Oh, I was told, you know, you really, you really enjoy this. If you like music and you want to dance, you're gonna love this. Okay, I'll give it a try. The Zumba takes place in the local malls, and it's actually entertainment at the mall. Oh, so I'm dancing. I'm dancing, like with 100 Filipino women, and then there's me.
Caitlin Van Mol: This is live to tell. I'm Caitlin Van Mol you can follow the show on Instagram and Tiktok at live to tell podcast. If you enjoy today's episode, please rate, review and subscribe. It really helps the show. I'll see you in two weeks. You.