Caitlin Van Mol: Hey, everyone, just want to quickly announce up top that I have a new Patreon page. What's a Patreon page? You ask? It's a place where you can sign up and select a subscription tier and get access to ad free episodes, extended video content, community chat and bonus episodes. So go subscribe@patreon.com slash, live to tell, and you'll get immediate access to content over there. That's patreon.com/live to tell. The link is in the show notes, and here's the episode. Just kidding. It's a disclaimer first. Hey, everyone. Just want to pop in and say that my guest for today's episode, Paul has a book that we reference throughout the interview. It's called friendly fire, a fractured memoir. I will link to it in the show notes. Also, the names of Paul's two college roommates, Mark and Keith, have been changed. Also, Paul doesn't mention the name of his college in his book, so I'm going to respect that in this episode, I was sort of part of this crew, this trifecta of US college kids. We were probably like most college kids. We liked to play video games. We liked each other's company. We liked humor, stand up comedy, you know, I was a happy go lucky musician trying to, you know, become a writer in undergrad. So once we moved out of like, the freshman dorms, Mark had some credits from high school, so he was eligible to have basically an on campus apartment, and so we lived there for the remaining three years of university. And it was, you know, a very spacious, four bedroom apartment we owed a kind of a rotating fourth member by 2017 they were all in their junior year at a small private college in Minnesota. You had obviously known Mark for four years, and what did you know about his relationship with guns? Yeah, I mean, to me, it was never really something we talked about. It was sort of on the periphery. He
Paul: didn't hunt or anything. I think maybe his family did, but I knew that he liked to go to ranges. It has never really came up too seriously. And me and Keith, you know, the other roommate, him and I were both very, you know, postmodern hippie. You know, him and I are very, we don't have any interest in that. In senior year, I kind of knew he owned some and we had friends who had houses off campus, and I just kind of assumed they were stored in those types of places. Friday, April 7, 2017
Caitlin Van Mol: Paul and Mark were in their apartment wrapping up their weeks.
Paul: It was Friday. It was in the evening, well after school, maybe like 530 ish, I'm sort of wrapping up some homework. And so the plan was we were gonna go out to, like a local Gastro Pub and, you know, drink a few paps blue ribbons, and get a burger. And so Mark goes to his room to sort of prepare for that, basically, take a nap or something. And I'm just gonna, you know, diddle on this paper a little more. And I realized that I needed a book to sort of cite something. So I got up, and then I stopped, and I think I noticed, like a guitar pick or a battery on the ground. And so I'm like, oh, you know Mark having the darn apartment dirty again. So I stopped and turned and picked it up. And in that moment, I was blasted back and forced into, like, this cluster of wooden dining room chairs we had in the living room. I'm like, Oh, shoot. You know, there's like a hurricane, or like a earthquake in Minnesota, you know, like, my first thought was just like natural disaster, or, like, you know, bombing, you know, there a new nuclear bomb went off. Mark comes out of his room, and he's got a gun, his hands over his mouth a cast.
Caitlin Van Mol: This is live to tell the podcast where I talk to some of the bravest people who have been through the most horrifying things and lived to tell the tale. I'm Caitlin van mol Paul had no idea what just happened. Then he comes running over to me and and I
Paul: don't think I totally like put it together yet, but I'm very much already in that state where, like, my psyche has been completely fractured, like only a bits and pieces of me were in that moment, and like, parts of me were essentially like, hovering above it. You know, it was very bizarre. I think shock is like a complete understatement. By that point, I'm basically like, okay, something is like, obviously wrong, and I feel like liquid on my head. I. And so I'm like, Oh, I'm sweating or something, who knows. But I'm completely like, you know, it's like, someone hit, like, the reset button, and I'm like, booting up, you know? And none of my limbs are really working. I'm kind of dragging myself to the bathroom mirror because I'm like, Okay, I just need to see what happened, you know? And he's giving me orders and things like that, but I'm not really listening to him at this point. So I look in the mirror, and sure enough, like, There's blood on my forehead. And I basically had really long hair at the time, so I, like, parted my bangs to the side, expecting to see a hole, you know. Because at this point, I'm like, okay, he's he's holding a gun. He shot me, you know. And there's no hole, you know, in my forehead. So I'm like, okay, that's, you know, step one. I'm not gonna just like, die in the next 30 seconds. So I lean over a little bit. I kind of tilting my head here and there I see this, like, I don't know, two inch depth hole in the top of my head. And so what happened was, I was, I was leaning over, and the bullet that he fired went through his wall, my my roommate, Keith's wall, and then hit me in the top of the head. And so in theory, that should have went straight through, you know, out my chin, essentially, you know, and killed me. And so what happened was it basically fractured my skull inward. And so shards of bone went into my brain, and then the bullet itself ricocheted out and then, like, was on the carpet, which then he later
Unknown: threw in the garbage, marked him upon finding it. What kind of gun was it? It was a Smith and Wesson nine millimeter. So at this point he's basically like, oh, you know, lay down. He pulls out like a first aid kit for when he was, like, solo hiking in California, you know, always prepared his any he's just kind of pats me with some, you know, some gauze and what have you. And he's like, You should probably shower. And I later found out that that's like, the last thing I should have done, but I sure enough, I did at the time, Paul was so out of it, he just did what he was told. And then during that shower, he's hiding these excess amounts of guns that we later found out about through the police and reports of police photography. You know, a hunting 22 rifle, another handgun, I think, a Glock, an AR 15, which I famously taught mark how to play guitar when I had known him through those four years. And so he put the AR 15 in the guitar case, and then, of course, all the, all the paraphernalia, the bits and bobs that come with it, that I don't know what they are, but, you know, all the ammo and things like that. So he's doing this, and I'm kind of showering, then I go lay back in bed, and then stuff really starts to hurt, you know, like these really strange bone pangs and, like, heat pangs and things like that. And, you know, I can, I can see bits of my skull and all this crazy stuff. And, you know, and the police photography is very gruesome at this point, because there's like, bloody hand prints leading to the bathroom mirror and in my bedroom and on the sheets, there's just, you know, kind of a creepy amount of blood, knowing where it was coming from, you know, yeah. So then I kind of drift into a some sort of state where I'm not again. I'm not even necessarily super conscious at this point.
Caitlin Van Mol: Then there was a knock at the apartment door.
Unknown: It was a public safety officer, because the bull that tripped the fire alarm,
Paul: he shot through the wall that had the fire the fire alarm attached to it. But I'm in my room. He's back. He hid all his guns. He shut my door in public safety stands in our doorway to the whole apartment. It's like kind of half kitchen, half living room area. So it's this woman says, you know, oh, your fire alarms going off, you know, why? And Mark kind of just goes, Oh, I was smoking an e cig, you know, he's sort of trying to lie his way out of this. And she goes, I smell something burnt, you know, that's assumingly, that's like the gunpowder, or, you know, something like that. And he goes, Yeah, burnt a pizza. And she goes, Oh, there's blood everywhere. Oh, my roommate had a bloody nose. I've had bloody noses before. It isn't like cool. How much blood was there visible to her? There was a pretty odd shaped like wisp of blood on the linoleum that she that was what she pointed out. To my knowledge, you didn't see this stuff on the walls, I don't think, because I don't think she just looked around very much like she obviously missed the hole, the hole in the wall in our living room. But yeah, so the wisp that was there very much could have been a nose, absolutely okay. And then the one that kind of baffles me is that she actually saw the holster of his Smith and musson on the love seat. And she goes, Well, what's the deal with that? You know? And he goes, Oh yeah, the gun's off campus, like it's in my car, and like my car is at a buddy's place. And she just kind of says, Okay. And basically. Leaves the room at that point. But like, you know, there the accumulation of things I think probably should have had her explore more. I don't know if it was like as because there's obviously like, there are student public safety officers and then there are like, outside public safety officers. I never got confirmation if she was maybe just like a student one. And if that was the case, then I obviously my empathy would would kick in there and be like, maybe she just didn't know how to handle the situation if she was sort of starting to piece things together. Yeah, I think it's hard to police your peers at that age, especially 100% it's so strange. So the public safety officer left, and at this point, Mark does make a phone call for help, but not 911. Mark called My roommate, Keith, and him and his girlfriend then were summoned to the apartment under the pretense that he said, You know, I just shot Paul. So they get in, and I hear them enter the room, and they're basically, you know, questioning him, kind of freaking out, flustered, and I make my way to their voices, sort of one step at a time, and they're like, stunned to see me, like walking around. Obviously, I probably look, you know, like a psychopath. And this is basically where there was all this time devoted to convincing mark to call and sort of own this. And his first instinct was to say, let's go to the hardware store and, like, patch the holes, you know, and paint over them, and then, like, in between, sort of saying, let's do that, he was sort of saying, like, Oh, I'm gonna be scrubbing toilets for the rest of my life. Like he kind of had this inclination that he was, like, going to get in like, deep, deep trouble. I'm assuming that meant he thought he was, like, going to jail. And then meanwhile, I'm like, Oh, I have a haircut tomorrow, and like, maybe she can just, like, cut around the hole I, you know, I'm not there mentally at all, though I'm beginning to like realize these big truths, like this is the last time we're all gonna see each other again. Like things like that were starting to sort of come into focus. So that was a very uncanny moment, very surreal moment, while Paul realized their relationships would all be changed forever. It was just starting to sink in how injured he actually was. I was like, it was very weird, because I thought I was going to die, obviously. And I was like, Well, I'd rather that happen than me be half of like myself, you know? I mean, like, it's a weird thing I have where I'm like, Well, if something gets, like, mildly scuffed, I'll just get a new one that was running. Like, that was a thought, for sure. Yeah, I'm you can't really do that with your life, yeah, I know. And that and so, like, that was just where I was at. My Psyche was, like, totally not a human person thinking it was very much someone who just had, like, severe trauma, not even like emotional trauma, like brain trauma. It was like someone hit restart, but then, like, also put it in a blender, you know, and shook everything up. Yeah. Did you ever think to call 911 that like didn't even really cross my mind. I was again so the like I felt like such a bystander, watching them interact with each other and such like part of me was like, ethereally above myself, and that bystander mode, like, prevented me from basically thinking I could interact with them in any significant way, like I legitimately felt like I wasn't there. And then Keith's girlfriend, she she goes into Keith's room and notices the bullet holes, and, you know, really starts to sob. You can hear her, you know, with the her that she shuts the door and kind of takes a minute to sort of take all that in, and then Keith kind of goes on to persuade mark to finally do it. And I think after arguing for a while, he realized that he was outnumbered and that it was the situation was being stretched a little too thin. I think he kind of gave in. Mark finally called for help two hours after he shot Paul. Yeah. I mean, he essentially was being selfish. You know, he was like, I'm going to be scrubbing toilets. Was something he said a lot. Basically, he was trying to find ways for me to agree to help him get out of it. You know, who's to say if he really knew the severity of it? But I legitimately think he was concerned more about his own life than than mine. At the time, I think that was his only hold up. And when Mark did call for help.
Caitlin Van Mol: He didn't just dial 911
Paul: he called public safety. Do you remember if he had to look up that number? He probably did, because I don't know it. Yeah, yeah, 911 I know that one. We know that one's pretty, pretty, yeah. So then they kind of, you know, but, and then once this happens, it's sort of the wheel is spinning. You know, the corrections are happening. Though, he is asked by one of the cops, like, Why'd it take two hours? And he, you know, he by now, though he's in like, totally accountability mode. He's like, Yeah, I just, I was afraid, you know, he just, he answers very truthfully. While all this is happening, Paul's phone rang. So my girlfriend called me while the cops were there at my in my apartment, and I basically, she's like, well, what are we doing tonight, you know? And I was like, oh, you know, Mark just shot me, you know, I was like, the first one to break that news to her, which is very crazy feeling to be to say the words, first of all, like, yeah, it's a weird thing to say, and to actually, like, mean, it, Paul was loaded into an ambulance and taken to the hospital. So, you know, they basically cut my clothes off because we don't know if there was, you know, how many shots there were, that was still a question. We didn't know if the bullet was still, like in my head, because I had this large, like hematoma behind me from falling into those chairs. And so I'm basically, like, in trauma mode. You know, they gave me CAT scans and things like that, and that's when I definitively find out that the bullet bounced off my head. And then all the doctors were first, they were surprised I was talking, and then they were they were telling me, like, by the way, like bullets bounce off of you. You know, they're like, we've just never seen this before.
Caitlin Van Mol: Hilarious. Can you, like, fix it?
Paul: And one woman thought I tried to kill myself. She's like, she was like, very angry with me. Oh, well, that's not. I was like, now's not really a good time. I was like, I swear I didn't do this. Once doctors assessed Paul's situation, they told him, to no one's surprise, he would have to have surgery. When I heard that, like surgery was the only option, you know, I was like, I was a little scared by that. For sure, surgery is, like, definitely a big fear of mine. I was just like, Okay, well, this happened. Now these other secession of events need, need to happen like this to get fixed. You know, yeah, and fixed is obviously a loose word, because nothing was necessarily fixed. That was a craniotomy. So they removed parts of my skull, fixed what they had to fix, and then put my skull back together. Paul's girlfriend, Anna, had called his family, and they all gathered at the hospital, including his dad. From the book, I know you didn't have a great relationship with your dad, yeah, absolutely. So what was it like having him there, yeah, like, like you said it, there was obviously a lot of, like, friction in our in my childhood, between me and him, and more, mostly with my mom and my sisters, like, with me, it was more he was just sort of absent. And kind of could be cruel sometimes, but, you know, not to a point where, like, it raised any alarms, but, you know, just normal, like, kind of absent, bad dad stuff. I mean, they got divorced when I was 16, him being there, I knew made, made it so that this was, like an event, you know, and I was at the center of that. Were they? I mean, how did everyone get along? They, they, they tried to get along. He doesn't have a good sense of, like, personhood. So, like, obviously, I just got out of brain surgery, and like, it wasn't on his mind to, like, mute his phone or anything. So like, his phone kept going off, like, and he's probably got hard of hearing a little bit as all like, older men get, it was just blaring when it would go off. And like my sister, being a nurse would be like dad. And what are you doing? You know, shut that off. The now is like the worst time as far as stimulus is concerned for Paul. So there was that, there was the lack of like awareness, you know, whereas he would post like pictures of me, you know, with my head all bandaged up to his Facebook friends, like with my kids today, which because, like, to him, it's, he's not usually with his kids, you know. And so, like, he meant it to get attention, obviously, but that was his way of sort of showing affection, as if, like an alien, you know, it's the old, the old joke where it's like aliens would observe something and then they try to recreate it, yeah, that's kind of how he was with parenting, you know. And he's like, how many staples Do you think you have? I'm like, I don't know, man. And I'm like, nine. And he's like, Oh, you have 19. And guess what? Like, that was my jersey number when I played baseball. And this is, like, everything always, like, has to go back, you know, cool dad, yeah. So it was just, you know, it was just stuff like that, yeah. And again, like we're on much, much better terms now, like, especially lately, he actually it talks to all of us now, like he actually goes to events now, like he's invited to stuff. Like we're we're all relatively cordial. Do you think you would be in this place with your dad if you hadn't got shot? Um, I think where we are now is is totally based off of him and my mom's relationship. Well, like, I don't think what happened he still doesn't get what happened to me. He thinks it was not as traumatic as it really was. He does not understand how severe it was. He doesn't know how severe the injury was. He doesn't know the sort of emotional stuff. I still, to this day, go through that sort of thing. After eight days in the hospital, Paul was released to go home. My mom had just bought a new house with her partner, who is not she. He broke up with her now because of me, basically, he was like, I just can't deal with your life. So now she's with someone she has known for a very long time, and he's very awesome. But at the time, it was this other guy, yeah, so they bought a house together, and so I had, like, barely been there, barely seen it, and now I have to, like, live there for X amount of months. She just completely took care of me, and I was essentially a child. I say coming home from the hospital is basically, like the hour after you get a cavity filled, but it's like times 10 and it's all the time. I basically had all the staple stuff for a severe TBI. A TBI is a traumatic brain injury, so, like, cognitively, that was what we were saying. You know, it's it's the memory, it's the problems thinking clearly, focusing for long periods of time, like I can do little bursts, especially early on, it was very little bursts, sensory, sensory perception over simulation. As far as like physical attributes, my balance and coordination were really poor, and still are I got like the TBI plus PTSD thing is all like the rage personality changes, you know, anger Paul had been shot just six weeks shy of graduation, and all of the end of college events Were starting up. The school was like, wrapping up its stuff. And I'm like, I can see it from afar, but I can't be there. You know? That was really, really tough, especially being an English major. There was like, the award ceremony night, the celebration for all English majors, combined with the FOMO of missing out on the end of the memories of the end of school with, like the people you've known for four years who now didn't even know what happened to you. Like that was troubling, too in its own right. Like I was just gone, I just dropped off the face of the earth to them, but you didn't even tell your professors. So, yeah, allegedly, one of my professors found out through the Star Tribune, like the newspaper, you know, two weeks after they flubbed a lot of the handling of it, they talked down the severity of it a lot, and they just said, like, a student was injured from a firearm, like, going off it. Basically it was, like, a Facebook post and, like, that was it. But, like, okay, so I understand they want to protect themselves publicly, yeah, but to not even be like, dear professors of this kid that would fell, that fell to my girlfriend and my mom, they had to reach out to them all. They didn't understand, like they still didn't get the severity, like it was so hard to convince people that it was bad brain surgery. I don't know what else I need to tell you. I know they got to that point they're like, No, I don't think you understand. He cannot come back to class. He cannot write your paper. He's not going to do with the homework assigned like there's this is not happening. So how did you graduate? My mom and girlfriend, Anna, convinced that all to basically take incomplete stuff, slash, wave it, you know. And because I had A's in all the classes anyway, prior to that, they're like, Okay, yeah, you can graduate. And so I did end up walking may 20. So I got shot April 7, and walked for graduation on May 20.
Caitlin Van Mol: Meanwhile, Mark did not walk with this class. The university's current weapons policy says people who have a valid permit to carry a firearm and to comply with all legal requirements associated with such permit may keep the firearm in a trunk or glove compartment of their locked motor vehicle. It also states violation of this policy may result in discipline or other sanctions up to and including immediate termination of employment, expulsion from the university, trespass from campus.
Paul: They expelled Marx that he did. Not walk with us on graduation. Like, that's a good start, you know. And then that summer, they then, by some means, reversed that decision, whether that was Mark coming to them with a lawyer. His family was very wealthy, so they have some sort of leeway, right? And I don't know, like, I'm assuming they just sent him a diploma, right? Because he didn't like walk, but that was quite a slap in the face from from both entities, both from Mark, because that's not the behavior of somebody who, like, cares about my feelings or accept repercussions for his actions. Yeah, that's someone who's trying to, like, get on with their life, however, whatever means they can do it right, like defending themselves. And then from the school's perspective, I thought, okay, so you're morally okay with a student shooting another student. That just that's what that means, you know. So that was, like I said, that was a slap in the face. I mean, as far as accountability goes, literally nothing changed for them, Mark, I can't know his interior life, nothing, nothing in his exterior life changed, but I couldn't speak to any regret he might have or guilt he might feel. Paul did sue mark, which then got kicked to his parents, homeowners insurance. Yeah, we sued mark, but technically, we sued like the second largest insurance company in the world, like it's like a billion dollar insurance company and and so Mark's parents were also divorced, which is something we kind of bonded over when we were getting to know each other. But so what that meant for us, though, in this situation, they both had a policy from the same company, so the pool of damages was like double, basically, well potential damages. That was just a good thing for my lawyer to sort of have in mind. It didn't necessarily work out that way, because, as Paul learned, suing a huge company isn't a walk in the park, it's hell, because they'll send their goons after you. They'll just have private investigators watch you when. You never know when really so you're incentivized not to get better. Basically, you're incentivized to hide, to disappear. Yeah, you have to try it, to try in secret, basically, you know, getting a job was scary because I had to, like, put myself out there and be interviewed and brag about myself, but knowing in the back of my mind that there's this other entity who could get these transcripts and use that against me, which they did. Would they use just even the fact that you had a job against you absolutely anything, even if it's like they would spin anything and everything to their benefit, you could do no right? So you're better off just trying to disappear, which is what I tried to do. Effectively, the insurance company also sent Paul to a battery of cognitive tests and assessments by doctors that worked for the company I had to do, I had to treat it like a full time job to like, be tested and humiliated. And it was, you know, nine hours of them doing various mental cognitive tests and vocational tests and and you'd speak to their counselor. I'm doing air quotes, rehabilitation specialists you know, who would Gage you, and they're all hired by insurance companies trying to disprove that anything is wrong with you. And then in these actual tests, I didn't hide anything. I was very honest. I never, obviously never told why. During the actual tests, I tried my hardest. I just did them poorly. I was, I was cognitively disabled. I have an invisible disability, you know, like, everything you say to any medical professional is scrutinized. First, they make you sign a waiver saying that they you realize they're not there to treat you. So they're off to a good start there. They're like, you know, you realize I'm here just to basically say you're wrong, and you have to sign acknowledge, yeah, I realize you're not here to give me advice. And so, you know, we have our people. I do that with legitimate companies who do that. And so I got actual data, yeah. And so then if it ever went to a jury, then they would have these two data sets, you know, and one would say he had a severe TBI, he's got PTSD and this and that, and this and that, and one would say he had a mild TBI, and he's had PTSD his whole life, because his parents got divorced. During this process, Paul had to give a deposition, being in Paul's position where his life was involuntarily changed completely might make anyone angry, but feeling increased anger and personality changes are also very common effects of a traumatic brain injury, and I threw up during my deposition without. That was partly stress. I think the anxiety of it all, you know, my voice did the thing where I was in a different register in the deposition, is it kind of like testifying, where, like, one lawyer goes and then the other lawyer is, like, you're lying, or whatever. Mine could step in if he had to, but it was mostly the other guy. He mine. Mine said he wanted to do something unique, where he wanted me to get angry, and he didn't tell me that ahead of time. He didn't prepare me for that, and I did. I chewed the other one out. I basically yelled at him multiple times, and he's like, See, my client has a TBI. He's got PTSD. One symptom is rage, and he's yelling at you right now, like he did that as a superpower for me, typically, they don't want you to get angry. But mine was like, See, he's affected.
Unknown: We're gonna be right back.
Paul: Paul's family was extremely supportive, but the changes in his mood and the fact that they didn't seem to be improving, worried them it's human nature to want to help somebody in recovery. But then there comes a point where they think that you should be fine by that point, and then maybe you're actually not fine. It was really tough when, like, I looked somewhat normal, but then all the case was going on. I was really deep into, like, my PTSD and my personality was really altering. In my mind. I had a lot of these spirals based off of, like, I'd be overstimulated, that I'd be thinking about the case. And then, you know, my my fuse was short, all these, like, these big swirling things were spiraling inside me, but I looked fine on the outside, right. And so when, then, then, when my parents would be like, well, how come you haven't made that breakthrough yet? This. That was what really struck me. And I was like, Man, this really stinks. That's when I realized how isolating a TBI is. You just feel marooned on like brain injury Island. The best thing to do in that situation would be like to communicate it right at the same time it's inhibiting your communication skills. So like and TBI is are tricky, because in theory, like, I could be struggling, oh, I will be struggling with this forever, and it could get way worse at any time. And that's kind of the scary thing about this, is like, we just never know when it will break one way or the other, you know. And thankfully, in the aggregate, till now, it's been breaking, you know, positively, but you know, at a 20 year mark, it could just all fall apart. And you know, you can do as much as you can to mitigate that, but it's just the fact of the matter, how what is it like having an invisible disability, and how do you feel about that word? Yeah, I didn't even own it for a long time because I was really struggled with it. I was, like, patting myself down. Like, do I deserve to say this and like, obviously, I, I came to the conclusion that I do because, like, it curbs the extent of my work and play. It curbs my, you know, interior life. It limits and it alters the way i i can move through the world. And so like, Yes, I, I am disabled, and the invisible disability is especially strange because the awareness for it's just not quite there. And so like in when I did work, my strange behaviors, you know, the kind imp, the kind co workers would call me quiet, and the unkind ones would kind of say, like, oh man, you must have been drunk crazy last night, and like, because I, you know, didn't really know how to say it. I didn't want to say it as well, because I was, it was very much just a recent event. I just kind of went along with it, you know. And so this one guy just thought I was always high and drinking, and it's a party animal, when, in reality, I just had the TBI, and I was just a strange person because of my TBI, yeah. And so like, I've since then, I've been trying to raise some awareness for it. Just because they're unseen. It's like, yeah, yeah. I think if people, like, were aware of it, and that's why I when I say I'm a writer, I always say I'm a disabled writer, I just feel like I kind of have to be that spokesperson for it, yeah, because it's, I mean, just talking with you, like, in in two hours, but short conversation, like, I don't know you, obviously. And like, obviously, you seem fine. Yeah, yeah. And my word retrieval has been on point right now. Like, when I talk to my wife on walks or something, there'll come times where I'll be like, Gosh darn it, what is that darn word? And it'll take me till like, three hours later, and I'll finally come up with it. So, like, that's something I've noticed lately. And then, of course, like there's not a whole lot of stimulus happening right now. There's nothing going on there. Of course, if I was in public right now, like a coffee shop, I would probably be over. I might have to wear, like, some some glasses and headphones, but I'm okay in my basement. When he was ready, Paul started therapy to process what. Happened. He tried talk therapy at first, but then he became a guy who was interested in sexual purity. And so, like, I'm like, Okay, we're gonna cross him off and go someplace else. So my mom works in mental health as well, and so she's like, I know somebody who can do EMDR if you're interested. And like I said before I minored in psychology, so I knew what EMDR was. We've talked a lot on the show about EMDR. EMDR stands for eye movement desensitization and reprocessing. Early forms of this therapy had you follow a light with your eyes going left to right while going through each aspect of the trauma. And by this time, we've realized that it's any bilateral simulation. So you can do it tapping on your thighs. You can do it mine. I did holding like nunchuck controllers, you know, and it would vibrate in each hand. And so we transitioned to that. And I think that starting with one and transitioning to the other, I think was really helpful for me, because, like, I got the best of both, really, and, yeah, I would recommend EMDR, if you're up for it. The warning I got was, if talk therapy is taking a truck from Minnesota to Florida working out your trauma, EMDR is taking a private jet. You know, you're really, are sort of total recalling it, if it works. You're legitimately visualizing it and being coached through it as if it were happening. And your brain will just do what it wants to do, like a little Plinko board. It'll land where it wants to land. Your brain wants to solve problems, and Embr is formulated to solve problems, but in the same way that it's more direct, yeah. I mean, you have to be ready for that. It, yeah, isn't it more intense? It's, it's very intense. You're out, you're out of commission for the rest of the day. I I drank a pot of coffee after one of them, and like, fell asleep watching stand up comedy. It just drains you. But, I mean, for me, though, it really did soften the blow of the antagonistic memories. It codes them neutrally. You know, instead of being like, I'm trauma, it rewrites their code so that you're just living alongside them. In the same way, me being a writer, I became the dominant voice in writing the story, and so like now my voice, I got to kind of do the same thing sandbox my way through it. Writing about the self really opens up these, like valves, and you and like, your brain wants to solve problems. And if you just let it solve problems, you'll, you know, you'll find that it wants to give you those, like eureka moments. And mine did both, in both things, like, I'd be in therapy and we'd have, like, a little mini writing workshop, and I'd go home and quick write what I learned about myself. You know what I mean? Yeah, I think of talking about it and writing about it, I think it was just like a feelings exorcism, absolutely, and that's, that's, it's totally worth it. Like, I do my some of my best thinking on paper. I've gotten better at speaking it ever since my injury, of course, but like, I still probably do my best thinking on the page to this day, a huge part of Paul's support system through this was his girlfriend, Anna. I mean, you were already together, but this is, like, such a huge thing to go through at such a young age as a couple. I mean, like, even your mom's boyfriend couldn't, right, right? They broke up from it. I think it was a lot of hers being That's just her personality and her character. She was willing to take the roles on for whatever reason, you know, more power to her. She delayed her own successes coming out of school, she took the first job that offered her money so that she would have a flexible schedule to be able to be there in the summer with me, and then, you know, from then on, she's worked her way up, and now she's very established career at, like, a worldwide company, and we're very proud of her. But like, she did not do that. She she put herself in on hiatus to, like, make sure I was okay. And I just think whatever it is that is, it's in her blood to do that. We became this really uniquely designed machine that always lands, you know, facing up, or something like that, like no matter how it falls. The old cliche is we were forced to grow up, you know, and more like it was, where we became aware of how cruel the world was very quickly, in a very uniquely cruel way. There were obviously moments where, like, the rage got the better of me, and then those in those moments were the ones where I would maybe explicitly blame mark me being mad is just another way of him being in our relationship, and we have to just both move on from that. And so like that, that kind of flipped the switch for me to sort of start to building that. Start building the buffer. Of like, Okay, you something's happening. Take it easy. You know, maybe communicate it, if you can. She was her. She was very strong character, basically, obviously, in the in the book, she's my girlfriend, and now we're married, yeah. How long have you been married? We got married in October. So, oh, wow. There. Crap. Thank you so much. It was very good. Everything was perfect. Like, I didn't think that would happen, but it was like the event was to a tee. Though Paul was doing well in EMDR, and had a great support system. There was still the huge weight of the lawsuit on his shoulders. Neither party wanted to take it all the way to trial, but the insurance company just wasn't budgeting. It was, I mean, it was very traumatizing. And I often say this, and I stand by it, the four years post shooting were worse than the shooting, absolutely 100% part of the case was that he admitted he was guilty. So, like, we were beyond that, and so we actually couldn't use any of the evidence of him lying or anything like that. It wasn't admissible, stuff. The jury would have been too skewed in my favor. So we weren't allowed to use like he hid the guns, he took two hours, et cetera, et cetera, because he admitted that part. But isn't that the story? Yeah, I know what they could so they one thing was permissible in that whole spiel. I think it was the fact that it did take too long, but we weren't allowed to say why. Because the judge ruled that if he had gotten me help sooner, I might not have as severe headaches. Yeah, because, like, obviously, I learned this later. Your brain's obviously not supposed to be exposed to oxygen. But, yeah, it was crazy. They even did like a $50,000 mock trial to see, like, how much money they would allot me. So they spent so much money on trying to give me as little money as possible, which is very funny. Do you think I mean, this is speculation? Did they spend just as much money fighting you as they gave you. If I could just do a quick math, the insurance company contracted the lawyer. He's had to have been fairly expensive, and then they paid for all, like the examinations, and then they paid for the mock trial. But that lawyer had to be expensive, so yeah, they probably paid him. What I mean, couple 100 grand, right? So it's probably like, I don't know, 250 $300,000 total for them. Yeah, it's a lot of, it's a lot of dough to just, they could have just, you know, settled it a year in when it was kind of like when we sent the demand letter. They could have just been like, well, we can't do all that, but we can do this and then this, they could have just saved time and money, but I was a claim number, and they fought that claim. You know, I'm sure there's an element of, like, maybe they'll just go away. But with something as dramatic and traumatic as this, they're not gonna go away. We tried to mediate it three times, three or four times, and like, they're given like, a number that they can go to that day. And so like, we knew, like, the first three times, like that their number was not going to be high enough, but I still had to sit there for like, three hours. And like, the mediator, the mediator would say, like, well, this is what they're thinking. You might have already been depressed, is what they're thinking, you know. And then, like, we'd go back and be like, well, he shot me in the head. And he'd go over there for an hour and be like, well, you know, Mark shot him in the head. What do you think about that? And then they'd have to, and he's, like, he was, he came back and said, These guys suck. He's like, these guys are crappy people. I hate working with them. And he tried his best, you know, he but yeah, we ended up not mediating. Of course. We just, like, a month before the trial, they just kind of gave in. And how did you cover the costs? In the meantime, I had to pay them for the most part, like therapy and stuff, and like my little visits to, like, neuroscience centers and things like that. And I have no money, of course, but you know, my mom's helping me here, and there was the whole like hospital thing, was like 80 grand, something like that. And we got them to maybe waive some of that too. My mom called them and she was like, He's, like, has no money. He's a college student. Like, I don't know what you want him to do. And basically, like, they're like, they understood that there would be a settlement, and they're like, we'll wait for that. And of course, I knew at some point the trial, it could have, they could have said, you're gonna get
Unknown: 100 grand, and I'm like, oh shit, I'm screwed. Like, I would have been screwed if that happened. Luckily, the suit didn't go to trial, and the company settled with Paul. The money, of course, was a huge relief, but so was having this off his back. I think the case solving itself played a huge part in me being able to sort of compartmentalize easier
Paul: because a lot of closure happened that day. Absolutely like having that lingering paranoia solved a lot of issues. It didn't solve every issue, of course, but I mean, a lot of my stress went away that day. And I think it was visible to my family too, like they kind of could see it. But I really felt like, by that point, nothing could, like intimidate me anymore. That was a huge thing I thought of. I really felt like I am now, like the sole proprietor of like my future. You know what I mean to put it like in that met. Stupid metaphor. I this was a full time job for me. I had to earn this by very strange means, but I did earn it. And in fact, it is measly. If I itemize everything, anybody, any sane person, would run the other way. If I had to say, like, Okay, you have to go through all this and then this is the check you get written. You could rip it and run. I know that heartbeat, but you know, of course, it still is money. It still helped a lot, and it was like a huge relief, absolutely.
Caitlin Van Mol: But winning the lawsuit wouldn't undo the fact that Paul is permanently changed by what happened. So Mark didn't really face any repercussions in the end, right? And you didn't want to press charges, right? What would justice look like for him? Specifically, that's interesting.
Paul: It's, that's kind of, it's, it's hard to answer. So my take on it was, I didn't want to be responsible, as you mentioned, for any punishment, right? So I expected the big wheel of the law would turn and sort of carry out its business and wherever it landed with Mark, you know, so be it. I didn't want any part of that. And so, because nothing happened, I am okay with that. I'm okay that the one, of course, the expulsion, I wish would have stayed. He could have taken those credits and gone elsewhere, but he didn't, you know, yeah, that's, that's where I'm at with that. And then, of course, I wish the school, then also sort of had some sort of accountability, whether that be some sort of financial thing, offset, offsetting thing, or, or even, like, you know, I didn't even get a formal apology. I shook the President's hand on graduation, and I don't think they knew who I was. Yeah, that's the main thing, that justice is strange. I think a lot of personal injury victims think Justice is the check. And I think I can agree with that. Like it kind of is, and then my book is also kind of justice, because then again, I got to be the dominant voice over everything, and, like, I got to recode it, but also come out and and be like, you know, this is what happened. I, you know, lived not to, not to, like, name drop here, but I live to tell it, you know. Thank you for the plug. I love that stuff in movies. Do you have any idea what Mark is doing these days back then, in like 2018 I did look and it turned out we were actually living within like 10 minutes of each other, and he was, at the time, think, doing like, working for like a startup, like a Midwestern startup, and that's kind of in line with what he was going to school for. So basically, he was busy trying to entrepreneur and but since then, I haven't looked and then, obviously, with with the accumulation of therapy and in time and writing, he just no longer kind of has that real estate in my head. And we were talking about justice earlier. And I think sometimes that absence of thought is can be a form of justice for for me, for him, you know, a collective moving on for the betterment of all of our lives that are always be, like, tangentially related to this thread, but like now they're sort of off shooting. I'm trying, you know, I can't speak to if he's trying to do better now, but I refuse to sort of care, I guess, about what he's doing, and I think that is like a forgiveness and a justice at the same time.
Caitlin Van Mol: This is live to tell, I'm Caitlin van mol, you can follow the show on Instagram and Tiktok at lived to tell podcast, and you can follow me at Caitlin van mol. Please rate review and subscribe to the show. It really helps. You can also join me over on Patreon, where we have a community chat, extended videos and bonus episodes. That's patreon.com/lived to tell I'll see you in two weeks. You.