Caitlin Van Mol: Hey, everyone, just want to quickly announce up top that I have a new Patreon page at patreon.com/lived to tell for $2 a month, you get ad free episodes and access to a private community. For $4 a month, you get all of that, plus extended video of my guests and a newsletter. Everyone loves a newsletter, and for six hours a month, you get all that plus, plus, plus a bonus episode, a whole extra episode, just for $6 a month, please subscribe. Thanks. This episode contains descriptions of domestic violence. If you or someone you know needs help. You can call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 807 99 safe or 800-799-7233 or visit the hotline.org there's also some salty language in this episode, so take care while listening.
Christy: I'm really competitive, really competitive, and it was one of those things that people told me I couldn't do. If you tell me I can't do something, this is like telling me to go do it twice because I'm going to
Caitlin Van Mol: Christy Martin grew up in a very small town, Mullins, West Virginia, in a coal mining family. Her dad was a miner, her uncles were miners, and her brother was a miner. Christie was studying to be a teacher in college, but when she entered and won a tough man boxing competition. In 1987 she was hooked. She fought when she could in her area, and in 1990 a promoter wanted her to work with a trainer in Tennessee.
Christy: I thought, What the heck I'm about to graduate from college. I'll go down there and cut up for six months then come back and get a job and for life, it was really just, I'm gonna just have fun and relax before I have to start my life. You know, apart from being a grown
Caitlin Van Mol: up, yeah, yeah. I don't know if boxing is my idea of relaxing, but, well,
Christy: yeah, you know, I never thought of it. It was gonna be my career, because I had never seen any other female fighter do it, and, you know, walk into the gym and it was clear that he did not want to train a female fighter.
Caitlin Van Mol: The trainer, Jim Martin, was against women in boxing, but saw Christie's raw talent and agreed to train her. Christie moved to Bristol, Tennessee, and she didn't know anyone but Jim. He didn't seem to have any friends, either. So they started having dinner together at the end of training every day, just to have some company.
Christy: And it was kind of how sometimes, you know, when you get, like, enamored by that coach or that teacher or that somebody that, wow, they have all this knowledge that I want, I want to soak up all that knowledge. And it was a little like that. It just happened,
Caitlin Van Mol: their relationship went from professional to romantic, but, like, barely romantic, and it certainly was not a healthy relationship.
Christy: Yeah, well, so this is a little bit how crazy this whole situation and relationship was. He actually told me, before I married him, that if ever I left, he would kill me. I'm 21 years old. 22 years old. I, you know, laugh, yeah,
Caitlin Van Mol: jokes were different back then,
Christy: but, but as time went on, and I've often thought like, when was that moment where I knew he was going to there wasn't a joke anymore,
Caitlin Van Mol: this is live to tell the podcast where I talk to some of the bravest people who have been through the most horrifying things and lived to tell the tale. I'm Caitlin van mol. Other than the threats, there were several other hurdles for this to be a love story. First, Jim was 25 years older than Christie, older even than her dad. Second, and probably a bigger hurdle, Christie was gay.
Christy: In my mind, it wasn't like I was married to Jim Martin. I was married to boxing, and that's what I did. You know, we do boxing all the time, yeah, and it was okay, well, my focus on boxing and just get better and work harder and try to be successful with that. And and it made it like had an escape, I guess. Even though he was controlling everything, it was still okay. This is what I'm gonna do.
Caitlin Van Mol: Christy and Jim got engaged in 1992 as part of his proposal, he told her that her family would disown her if they found out she was gay, which they already knew but they didn't know. No, you know, it was just unspoken of in their family. Jim and Christy were married the day after this proposal. I know you were encouraged by your mom to be with him. How did you take that? Because you were enamored with his, like, knowledge of boxing, but he was also, you know, 25 years older than
Christy: you than my dad. Yeah, he's older than my dad.
Caitlin Van Mol: But was that weird to have your mom be like, be with this guy instead of just be with a guy? I
Christy: think it would have been any guy. It just happened to be Jim at that time, and so she pushed forward to be Jim. And it could have been any mol, I think, but Jim, also, he was, you know, he was such a narcissist, and, and he played my mother, they played each other. They they would join forces to to work against me, and, and it worked for both of them. Did not work so well for me, but it worked for both
Caitlin Van Mol: of them. Was that tough to have your mom kind of conspire against you, like that?
Christy: I Yes. And you know, my mom just passed in February. I know I'm sorry she had cancer, and so, you know, we knew it was inevitable, but like, I try really, really hard to, I don't know if you could say, make things right, patch things up, you know something? Yeah, no, it never happened. I'm sorry. And it's hard. You know, as far as it's tough when somebody's gone, then you're like, we can't try anymore. You can't fix it. But I try to remind myself that, you know, it did put a fourth in effort.
Caitlin Van Mol: The Economics of being a boxer just starting out aren't great. Most boxers at Christie's level had jobs to support themselves and trained when they weren't at work. But Jim wouldn't let Christy have a job.
Christy: There was plenty of time to at least work a part time job or something, just so you have some money coming in.
Caitlin Van Mol: Why do you why was he so opposed? I think he
Christy: didn't want anyone else to talk to me and that maybe they would say, this isn't this. This guy's crazy. This what situation you're in isn't right? Yeah, and he never had a job. He never had a job first, when we were first together, he basically was just taking money from my dad. My dad's a coal mine, a hard working man. Thank God I made enough money to pay it back to boil, but I did. I couldn't pay it
Caitlin Van Mol: back. He wouldn't let Christy have a job, but he would set up fights for her, just not the kind you'd think. He told Kristy. He arranged for her to spar with some men, but instead of going to a boxing gym. He took her to their hotel rooms. She knew these quote, unquote sparring sessions weren't about boxing. It
Christy: was like being a prostitute. That's how I felt. I think it was acceptable to Jim, because Jim, like, was a sexual deviant. And so not only is this guy getting some kind of whacked out sexual fantasy pleasure, I'm not sure the gym was in the world.
Caitlin Van Mol: How many times did that happen?
Christy: Maybe like five or six times.
Caitlin Van Mol: But things started to pick up for Christie in the actual boxing ring, and through the early 90s, Christie's star was on the rise. She went undefeated from 1990 to 1998 and was the first woman to sign with the legendary boxing promoter Dawn King. King put her on the undercard of Mike Tyson versus Frank Bruno in 1996 the undercard fights are kind of like the openers of a concert. Christie fought Deirdre gogarty, who broke Christie's nose in the second round. Christie continued the fight with blood streaming down her face. Their performance during this fight is credited as a turning point in legitimizing women's boxing. But this success did make Christie and Jim's relationship better.
Christy: Jim was nice when we were in front of people. Jim was nice when. When it benefited Jim, but when it was just the two of us, he would most of the time be telling me how whatever possibly happened. It wasn't because of me or my work. It was because of what he had done, or it really wasn't, you know, he told somebody to say that. They really weren't gonna say, you know, they liked my shoes, you know, some stupid but he was all, I told him to say that,
Caitlin Van Mol: were there any happy times?
Christy: I mean, you won a big fight, all the team's happy, everybody's high fiving. And good job that was happy. Was there ever like, happy? Because I'm married to this man? Probably not. Yeah. I mean, it was always like, this probably wasn't a good decision.
Caitlin Van Mol: And other threats of murder aside, did you think you could do it without him
Christy: after a while, and after signing with Don King and fighting on those Tyson cards and really learning how to box, I would often ask him, Can we get me another trainer? Because I want to, you know, he got me to this level, but I wanted to get to this level, and that would set him off. I think I could have done it without him, but I needed him to teach me what he had taught me, but to continue to grow. I needed not they couldn't know about myself. I needed someone else. I needed another coach just to teach me more about conditioning, about mental relaxation in the ring, just all the bigger things that you have to you learn through experience, but if somebody can teach you a little bit or talk to you about it beforehand, it certainly would help.
Caitlin Van Mol: Yeah, just more variety of skills for you to use that Jim didn't know. But that would mean giving up some control over Christie's career, and that would not fly with Jim. How much control over your life did you have while you were married?
Christy: I mean, he told me what to wear, who to talk to, what to eat. There was really nothing that I made a choice on my own.
Caitlin Van Mol: Did Jim ever sabotage your career, whether intentionally or unintentionally?
Christy: I wonder about that a lot, because after my contract with Don King was over, and I took some fights, and I clearly won and and I got losses. I mean, I won the fight, there's no question. I went and fought in Boise, Idaho, and I clearly won the fight, and they gave to a girl, and one of like, one of the judges, it was a 10 round fight, and one of the judges had seven rounds. Even you can't have seven rounds. Even you don't even supposed to have an even round, but you do sometimes, but seven so I did often wonder, yeah, how those those things happen
Caitlin Van Mol: at the end. What was your guess?
Christy: I think as long as I was boxing, he had control of me, but and if I would lose, then that would make him think that I would think I needed him more. I needed him to train me harder. I needed to work harder.
Caitlin Van Mol: Did you ever try to really leave him
Christy: in my mind? You know? I would go through my mind and say, okay, my birthday is coming up. For my birthday present, I'm gonna leave him, you know. And then it's so my birthday is in June. June would come and go, and I would be there. And then it'll be like, okay, Christmas is coming. I'm gonna leave him. Christmas will come and go.
Caitlin Van Mol: Christie had some bad losses in the mid 2000s and she was approaching 40. She was still training, but the big fight offers just weren't coming in. Then one day, Jim brought home a bag of cocaine
Christy: at that that time, you know, in my mind, I was, I was done with boxing. And so if I'm done with boxing, he knows I'm gonna leave. It's just, you know, matter of time, yeah, and so then that's when cocaine came in to play. He helped me get addicted to cocaine. He said he was my supplier. I mean, clearly I was the one that bent over and did line after line. He made it easy though. Well, I mean, when I first started with a coke I was going to, I was still training, and I would just use on, like, Saturday and Sunday, and then it was Saturday, Sunday, Monday, then it was this, every day, 24/7 up for days, and that was his biggest way to control me, because at this point my boxing career was over, so he had lost control. Now he needed to introduce something else. And. Some other way to get control and keep control, and he did that through the cocaine
Caitlin Van Mol: Jim not only controlled her supply, but Christie found out he had planted cameras around their house. Did the surveillance stuff start as he felt he was losing control, because your boxing career was declining, or was that kind of an always thing?
Christy: I honestly don't know. I think it was kind of toward the end when I discovered
Caitlin Van Mol: this. Yeah, how did, how did you find out
Christy: some crazy stuff kept happening. I, you know, would have a conversation in the house when it would be just me, and he would know something that I said. And then sometimes, you know, maybe some conversation I would have, or I talked to somebody on the phone, and then he would make reference to it. You know, there were too many things happening that that made me, whoa, something's not right. Then I found the camera, and I was like, you gotta be, you know, you gotta be shooting me. I can't, you know, can't believe this. And I don't know why I couldn't believe it.
Caitlin Van Mol: Yeah, did you confront him about it? Oh, yeah, what did he say?
Christy: He he doesn't know. It wasn't that. It wasn't true. Oh, my, it's right. Here I have it. You
Caitlin Van Mol: know, who else's camera is this? Right? I didn't put this here, right, right? And you just didn't.
Christy: I don't know. I don't know how I got there. Okay? So that you know, sometimes it's like, I know the truth and you know the truth. So really, what are we going to sit here and argue about?
Caitlin Van Mol: Like, if you can't even come through this conversation in a re in reality, then I just don't know how to engage with
Christy: you. And he, I think he lied so much that he not only convinced himself that the lies that he told were true, but he forgot what was true, because he just would lie.
Caitlin Van Mol: After about four years of using cocaine just about every day, in late November of 2010 Christie decided she was just done, done with cocaine, and most importantly, done with Jim.
Christy: I walked through the house, I saw myself, and this isn't who you are. So it took me a couple days, but I told him, I'm leaving. He said, and if you leave me, I'll kill you. And I said, look them straight in his eyes. And said, Do what you have to do, Jim. And at that point I know he was gonna kill me, I drove away knowing that he was gonna kill me.
Caitlin Van Mol: And why at that point was that not troubling?
Christy: What are you gonna do? I mean, what are you gonna do this? This is, this is what is tough, because obviously I'm not gonna tell someone else. This is how they should handle any situation they need to go immediately and find somebody to take care of them, find them, find safety. I need this. I'm so much like so many other victims. You know, you don't know who's no one can believe you, because they can't understand what is happening to you. If you're unless you're getting the crap beat out of you, and you can go show Bruce. Look, if he would beat me up, and I could have gone to my dad and said, Look, this is what he's doing to me. None of this would have happened,
Caitlin Van Mol: yeah, but it's just like 1000 little things,
Christy: and you can't explain emotional to someone that has never had it or seen it, you can't explain that. So So I left, and then I actually went and met Sherry.
Caitlin Van Mol: Sherry was Christie's high school girlfriend. They had recently reconnected over Facebook and decided to meet in St Augustine, Florida, where Sherry was already visiting friends,
Christy: spent the night with her, and I, you know, I told her everything, because I really knew it was going to kill me. So I might, I want somebody to know my story.
Caitlin Van Mol: But he had followed you. He had followed
Christy: me. He had called my phone. He had said he was so close he could touch me. And of course, I didn't, you know, I didn't know it was follow me. You know, he wanted me to know that he was watching me. He was gonna, he was gonna kill me. Then I actually went back, and everything was, you know, I was in the house. He was in the house.
Caitlin Van Mol: So she had gone back to the house, and Jim hadn't done anything to her. She left again for a commentating gig, and while she was away, Jim called Christie's mom, outing her as gay, and sent her private photos of Christie. Meanwhile, during her drive home, Christie called a couple people in her life to say goodbye. Okay, that's how sure she was about her inevitable murder.
Christy: Well, I told Sherry I was, I have this terrible headache, but I have to go back. She said, memorize my phone number before you go
Caitlin Van Mol: back. Why did you have to go back? I
Christy: wasn't gonna run the rest of my life. And I go in. You know he's he's still there. He's actually still been at the gym. He said I had somebody else taking care of the gym tonight. Okay, I'm gonna go lay down. My head's killing me, my stomach's hurting. I'm gonna lay down for just a little bit, and I'm gonna go to the gym and work out. I'm getting back in shape. I'm on a fight.
Caitlin Van Mol: Yes, she did say earlier her boxing career was over, but she was getting clean from the Coke, and she was leaving Jim, it was a whole new leaf turning, and that meant maybe her career wasn't as done as she thought.
Christy: So he came into the room and said he had something to show me, and I thought he had a boxing contract, because this is what we had been talking about, that I need to get back in the ring, whatever. What he had to show me was a knife, and he stabbed me repeatedly, puncturing my lung, cut my calf muscle almost from my leg. And then we get on the floor, and he starts beating my head against the dresser. And it was like, boom, that's when the switch split. And I was like, motherfucker, you cannot kill me. And I meant it. I mean I meant it. He couldn't kill me. He stopped beating me. He had cut his own hand when he was stabbing me, and he went to take care of his own wound and left me laying there.
Caitlin Van Mol: She begged him to get her help. My
Christy: lung was gurgling, and I'm like, don't let me die. Give me help. And I tried everything. You know, I'm like, but my mom and dad had a stillborn child, so they've already lost one child, please, you know, don't put them through it. I tried everything. Pleaded in every way.
Caitlin Van Mol: Is he saying anything back? He's
Christy: just looking at me, and he walks in and out, in and out. Finally, you know, he came. He stood at my feet.
Caitlin Van Mol: He now had Christie's pink revolver in his hand.
Christy: I guess I wasn't dying. So he stood at my feet with my my gun, and I told him, You don't have the balls to shoot me. And he shot me. Missed my heart by three inches, and he wiped off the gun, he wiped off the knife, he put everything beside me, and went and got in the shower. When he got in the shower, I'm like my eyes to God's eyes. I say I were looking through this little register in the ceiling and say, God, please let me get out. Let me get out of here. And it was immediately they heard the shower water turn on, and I knew it's my time. This
Caitlin Van Mol: was her opportunity to get out of the house and get some help.
Christy: Every time I would raise up, blood would squirt out of all these holes. And so it was scared me. I would lay back down. But this time, I took a t shirt, and I was pressing on the on the gunshot wound, which was actually shot me through the same one of the same stab wounds. And I picked up the gun and I picked up my car keys go out the front door and get to the car had their own keys. Oh, shit. What am I gonna do? So I went to the middle of the road, and first car goes by me on the hill. Can this guy go by me? The next car might know where they're letting them buy he was my angel, Rick Cole, and he picked me up. I gave him the handed in the gun, and just said, Please don't let me die. He took me to the Apopka hospital, and I would tell him, I'm sorry, sir, I'm bleeding all over the back of your car. Actually, I just talked to him recently. He's like, Yeah, I traded that car after that there was blood all over the backseat.
Caitlin Van Mol: How do you sell a bloody car? Yeah,
Christy: so I get to the hospital, and I'm begging them, you know, don't let me die. Don't let me die. They actually life flighted me down to Orlando, to the trauma trauma hospital, and, you know, stitched me up, put me back together. He sat me four times to start with, and then he had pistol whipped me. So my ear, I guess that was during the pistol whipping part. My ear was actually ripped off. My ripped from my head that stitched that back on. I had cuts on my face, and this they had stitched me different places on my shoulders, and then he cut my calf muscle, which was just it looked like it was gonna fall off, and they put it all back together. The doctor was afraid I wasn't gonna be able to walk.
Caitlin Van Mol: Yeah. How did you walk out from the house?
Christy: I did. I think God carried me.
Caitlin Van Mol: Was it the cut from the top down or from the bottom up?
Christy: I. He cut from the top down,
Caitlin Van Mol: yeah, and it was just kind of like flopping away,
Christy: barely hanging on. I mean, really, literally, barely hanging on the whole thing. You know, he had a sharp knife. While I was laying down, I could hear him sharpen that knife, but he did that often, so I didn't think anything about it. But the good thing was, you stayed with someone with a sharp knife. It doesn't really hurt. Had it been dull, it would have probably been much more painful.
Caitlin Van Mol: That's the positive. We'll be right back. So while you're in the hospital, who is there for you.
Christy: Well, Sherry. Sherry was there my mom, my mom and dad and my brother and my sister in law came down.
Caitlin Van Mol: Who was the one to tell your parents what happened?
Christy: I called there from the hospital, but I don't know if I called before they some people, I guess ESPN and ABC News. I mean, it went out pretty fast. Oh, wow. Yeah, I know some of my friends were like, Oh, shit. You know, people were trying to call me. Of course, the police. Have my phone ever seen that on national news?
Caitlin Van Mol: A huge part of the news about your attack was she left him for another woman and something you had been hiding your whole life was now out there. How did that feel? Well,
Unknown: it didn't have to, I, I didn't have to, like, creep out, you know.
Christy: So, you know, I didn't have to tell people gradually, one on one, everybody knew. So that was a positive.
Caitlin Van Mol: Less work for you absolutely,
Christy: you know, I just, I said, from the hospital, you know what? At this point, people can get on the on the train or off. It doesn't matter. Just mattered less. This is who I am, like me or not, doesn't really matter.
Caitlin Van Mol: Was there? What was the reaction from like, the boxing community?
Christy: It's so funny because your man convinced me that the boxing community would would turn their back and would hate me, and it's been absolutely the opposite. I'm still in the boxing world, if they had turned their back on me, I would have been gone.
Caitlin Van Mol: How? I mean, I guess, how throughout your career, How nervous were you about that secret coming out?
Christy: I would tell him often that, you know, he wanted me to say really negative, nasty things to opponents that were gay. I would tell him, somebody's gonna come from my past, and this isn't smart, this isn't a smart approach. But he would insist that I say pretty nasty things, and if I didn't, then you know what? People don't understand. They could be pissed off that I said these things, but you choose your battles. Do I want to just say this battle with this person for a minute? Or do you want to go back and have to listen to him? Beat me down, beat me down. Beat me down. And I want to get ready for the fight. I don't want to go argue with him because I didn't call this person a die. Is I just again? You pick or choose your battles.
Caitlin Van Mol: Yeah, do you regret anything you said?
Christy: Yeah, of course, I'm not really a nasty person. Yeah, I love shit talk though. I mean, I love the whole press conference banter back and forth. But, you know, someone's sexuality was simply, is really off limits. You know, you know some things you don't talk about.
Caitlin Van Mol: After a six day search, Jim Martin was found in a neighbor's shed and arrested. When did you find out that he was arrested?
Christy: I was in the hospital and saw it on the news. I think either we saw, I don't remember if the police came and told us, or if we saw it on the news?
Caitlin Van Mol: Remember, too much information is being shared with you via the news, yeah, instead of from an officer of some kind?
Christy: Yeah, and he could have, I can't, I don't, I just don't.
Caitlin Van Mol: Remember, before you knew he was caught, were you afraid at all that he would try to hurt you.
Christy: So they had me in a locked in on unit at the hospital where no one could get to me. So that made me feel comfortable, but I felt also that he might try something this could never tell.
Caitlin Van Mol: While she was in the hospital, Christie found out her home was being foreclosed on. This was shocking to her, because, to her knowledge, the house was paid off.
Christy: He basically scammed or schemed. I don't know which we should say, one of my friends that worked at the bank and mortgaged a house that was paid for, I always would say to him, Look. I can work at Walmart and pay my utilities. My house was paid for. I don't have to worry. But didn't work out like that. Well, the good thing is, my dad got here and they got everything, all my stuff out.
Caitlin Van Mol: Did you ever ask to see any of like the financial stuff at all?
Christy: Well, the crazy thing was, like, I did most of the financial stuff, but he was doing backdoor deals with everybody, until the end, when cocaine was crazy. I mean, I was doing was coke 24/7 you know, I didn't, every 10s of 1000s of dollars go places and I didn't see it, but I think part of that was, like backdoor stuff. Was money he was getting that I didn't know anything about what like, what like. I think, you know, I made X amount of dollars for my fights, and then he got a side deal from, you know, whoever was the promoter at the time, I would go to different places to make appearances, and I would get x, and he would get y, and I never knew about y, and I argued with him all the time about, you know, investing the money at that particular time, buying houses anytime is good to buy real Estate. But at that time, stuff was cheap and and it was always he would go buy a new car, new motorcycle, a new Rolex. Was
Caitlin Van Mol: it? Did you guys ever work out? I mean, I'm assuming not, but like, work out an arrangement of, like, if my purse is this much, then you get this much, or was it just all, What's mine is yours?
Christy: So I tried that, I tried that, and His thing was, okay, fine. I'll take my 30% and then I'll still have half of what you have because I'm your husband. I like, Okay, so that's not gonna work, but you don't try. I tried. I made it. I really, really tried. I made poor decisions because I gave in to to the fights. And I should have, I should have just stood my ground, but I didn't. So you know, this is where I am today,
Caitlin Van Mol: and it's also like you spend all this mental energy on training that your life can't be 100% fights, so something's gotta go. You can't be fighting in every which way, in every aspect of your life.
Christy: You get to the point of, you know, you pick and choose your battles. But I should have stood my ground, but I didn't.
Caitlin Van Mol: Christie was in the hospital for over a week when she left the hospital. Where do you think she went? First? Somewhere to rest, of course not, she went to the gym. Why were you so eager to go to the boxing gym right after you got out of the hospital, I would go to
Christy: bed because I that's just where I felt the safest. That's where I wanted to be. That's where I wanted to show people that, no, he did not kill me. He did not win this fight, and I'm going to win this fight. So I went back to the gym. I still had, I don't even know, hundreds of stitches in my leg, and the bullet was still in my back, well, because it went in my chest, and then I was laying on the floor, so it didn't go all the way through me, but you could feel it like right there, yeah, under my skin,
Caitlin Van Mol: so you went back to the box, saying, Jim, when did you become determined to fight again? Oh, from the
Christy: hospital. I called Miguel Diaz and asked him if he would train me. And he's, of course,
Caitlin Van Mol: Christie agreed to a fight against Dakota stone for March 12, 2011, just three months after the attack. To me, this sounds just like absolutely unfathomable, if not only for the your shot, your lung collapsed, but to have your calf almost sliced off, how reasonable was it actually to be back in a professional fight in three months?
Christy: Probably wasn't very reasonable. When I went back to the gym and started to spar, I my rib got broken in sparring, yeah, and pretty certain that that rib was broken from the gun shop, and then when I got hit in it just like broke completely.
Caitlin Van Mol: Was anyone saying, This is too soon?
Christy: Well, no, because I'm around boxing, people that are like, Oh, we can make a lot of money off you getting right back in the ring.
Caitlin Van Mol: Her broken or re broken rib. Didn't allow her to fight in March,
Christy: it healed, and then I fought in in June, so it was still pretty quick, like six months after being shot. Yeah, I fought, and then I broke my hand in that fight, pretty severely.
Caitlin Van Mol: Three, there were 50 seconds to go in the last round to give Christie her 50th win. She had dropped Dakota stone in the fourth round, so she knew she was winning, but she landed a punch that broke her hand, and the referee saw her briefly turn away. He stopped the fight, which meant Christie lost.
Christy: Oh, when I when my hand was broken, that was ridiculous. I mean, I told the doctor afterwards, I this is crazy. He said, Yeah, but Christie, you spoke at a ringside physician conference, like a couple years ago, and you say, we as ringside physicians have to protect fighters from themselves. I said, Yes, motherfucker, but I wasn't talking about me. Come on, man. 50 seconds from getting my 50th win, I just got shot and stabbed, and you want to start this fight because I have a broken hand? Ridiculous, ridiculous. All I had to do was finish on my feet. 50 more seconds,
Caitlin Van Mol: Christie had to have surgery on her hand, and
Christy: when they put me to sleep to fix my hand, I had a stroke. So was like, geez. I said, God, I know you've only put on us so much as we can take, but you think I'm a lot stronger than I am?
Caitlin Van Mol: That's my mom always had to build character. Just be like, I'm all set. I'm good on character, yeah. What do you think caused this stroke? Was it the cocaine, just like wear and tear from boxing, like being
Christy: hit? You know, boxing blames the hospital. Hospital blames boxing. Was it stress? Was it cocaine? Was it punches behind the head. Was it? God just telling me Christie's enough? I don't know.
Caitlin Van Mol: Sherry was still in Christie's life and helped her get back on her feet after this setback. How important was it for you to have Sherry help you?
Christy: Oh, before the stroke, we had decided we were sleeping, then I had the stroke, and she stayed and took care of me. So we continued to try, but this wasn't gonna work. Yeah, so I appreciate probably more than she'll ever know the fact that she's stayed beside me two times. No do the shooting and stabbing. And so she stayed with me then. And then, after the stroke, when we both were done, she stayed and and tried to help me get her, you know, get back on my feet. And part of it was probably mental and emotional, but like, I couldn't see. I have double vision still today. No, I woke up, I couldn't walk, I couldn't talk. There was a lot of issues, and I didn't have insurance, so it wasn't like I could go have therapy, so I was just trying to do it on my own, get back up.
Caitlin Van Mol: But insurance, no, is I? There's no, like, boxers insurance.
Christy: Well, yeah, it was $50,000 they fixed my hand. That's it, you know, they fixed my hand, and I had the stroke, drug surgery. So the good thing was, hospital got a little nervous, I think. And, yeah, the bills went away.
Caitlin Van Mol: But, but yeah, insurance not covering like mental health services? No, yeah, no, so the hospital bill went away. But even after getting shot, stabbed, a broken hand and a stroke, Christy was determined to get her 50th win.
Christy: The doctor told me, do not get hit in the head again. But I was set in my mind that I want to get 50 wins. I want to get a win without Jim Martin, because that's important to me. And I'm going to pick this person that I already beat and that I know can't really fight, and I'm going to beat her so I'll get my 50 wins. Bad decision. Bad decision. I didn't train you shouldn't fight after having a stroke, so I did and and I lost to somebody that doesn't not in my class,
Caitlin Van Mol: someone knew about the stroke and still let you fight. I'm grown.
Christy: I'm grown a lot of people, you know, people close to me, new but I'm grown. What are you gonna do? Maybe I want to make my own decisions.
Caitlin Van Mol: Yeah, has anyone ever looked out for your best interest? I don't know.
Christy: Yeah. Good question. That's a really good question.
Caitlin Van Mol: It just seems like, yeah, you are grown. You can make your own decisions for yourself, but like, at some point someone's got to be like, Look.
Christy: I mean, like, right now, Lisa, trust Lee. Says, telling me I can't do the
Caitlin Van Mol: I can't do boxing. Lisa is her wife,
Christy: and you know, all these people are making really good money to come back and and have celebrity boxing matches. And you know what the truth is, she's right because I don't have the, I don't have the energy to train like you have to, but if I did have the energy to train and to really get back in shape, I Oh, it would be hard to tell me that I keep
Caitlin Van Mol: but she did have one more fight, not in a boxing ring, but in a court of law. How did you react when he pled not guilty? We're not surprised. What was his defense?
Christy: He had no defense. I mean, that was the whole thing. He had no defense. He I think he said, I don't think or no self I was in the courtroom, so I don't remember if it was he tried to say was self defense. It's a little
Caitlin Van Mol: tricky to believe self defense when your only wound was self inflicted and the other person is stabbed a bunch of times and shot. Yeah? What was testifying like? Empowering?
Christy: Yeah. And it was, it was good. It was good to be there in front of him and look him in his eyes and tell him when I answer questions, you know, answering to him, let him see that I'm strong, and he wanted to screw me up there for a little while, but I'm
Caitlin Van Mol: back on track. Did he react to anything you said? He didn't,
Christy: I don't know if they had him drugged, because he's really arrogant and so for him not to make any expression, because there's no way that some of the things I said and didn't push buttons enough to make a reaction.
Caitlin Van Mol: Jim Martin was found guilty and sentenced to 25 years in person. He was 67 years old at the time, and would be 92 when he got out. Did you give a victim impact statement for his sentencing? End it. How did that feel to be able to just speak freely?
Christy: I was speaking and his counsel objected. And then the judge told me I had to be finished. And I told the judge, hold on a second, because I'm not done. I mean, this man tried to kill me, and I should get to say what I want to Yeah. And so hold on judge. And I finished, and I walked right to him and said, mother fucker, I hope you burn in hell. And my attorneys were like, she's crazy, but I think deep inside, they loved it.
Caitlin Van Mol: Now that Jim was in prison and Christie's boxing career wasn't coming back, she needed to figure out what to do with herself. She had gone to college to become a teacher, so that's what she fell back on.
Christy: So one thing really was cool, I am I taught school in Charlotte for a little while after being shot and stabbed. And, you know, my name is really back to Christie Salters, so I go into school and and no one knows Christy Martin, they just know Christy Salters and I made relationships with people Christie, Christie Salters never telling them about the domestic violence, never tell them about boxing, never telling them anything. And it was pretty cool. You know, I felt like, wow, these people like me, because me not, not because what? Anything else, they don't even know that person. So it was I needed that at that time of my life.
Caitlin Van Mol: She also reconnected with Lisa Halloween. Christie had fought and won against Lisa in her last fight, promoted by John King in 2001 How did you reconnect with her?
Christy: She just called me after being, you know, after everything happened, and checking, checking up on me.
Caitlin Van Mol: Did you guys like, know? I mean, I know you fought her, but were you friendly at all for before,
Christy: not really like she came and sparred with me a couple times, but I didn't, I didn't stay in touch with her, you know, on a even a casual basis. Yeah, she called me and then she came to one of my fight promotions in Charlotte.
Caitlin Van Mol: This is now 2017 and Christie had added promoter to her boxing repertoire,
Christy: just to kind of hang out and check out one of the fights that was promoted,
Caitlin Van Mol: just to hang out.
Christy: Well, I don't know. She must have a plan.
Caitlin Van Mol: When did you guys get together?
Christy: So we got together right away, and then we got married in 2017
Caitlin Van Mol: Well, how long were you dating? Mol,
Christy: not mol. It was quick. I told her, is it like a shotgun
Caitlin Van Mol: with it? Did you have any Well, I guess not, since you got married so fast. But did you have any problems like trusting her, given your last relationship, even though it's night and day, because you actually liked her?
Christy: Yeah? Me. To me, trust is a big thing with everybody. You know, I don't trust, I don't trust hardly anybody, yeah, so it's a big issue, yeah, for sure, trust. And, you know, I was, I was just out there having fun thinking I was a teenager, and then boom, here she came so
Caitlin Van Mol: but whether or not her parents really accepted her sexuality is still unspoken.
Christy: Think my dad's okay. He loves Lisa, except and understand, are probably two different things. So how is your mom? She's, I guess, I don't know. She never really like I said, except isn't even a right word, probably. And then understand, I don't even know. I don't know how to say how she felt.
Caitlin Van Mol: Yeah. Jim Martin died on November 26 2024 How did it feel when you heard that news?
Christy: You know, I've had so much happening. Sometimes I'm not sure that put any thought to it, to it or or let myself have any feeling or emotion to his death.
Caitlin Van Mol: Haven't really dealt with that yet. Does that almost feel like freedom, the ability to just not be terribly affected, or are you just kicking the can down the road?
Christy: Yeah, I don't know. I don't know that that I'll ever feel free from his ties.
Caitlin Van Mol: How do you still feel those today?
Christy: I certainly hear his voice sometimes with, you know, bringing negative stuff like, my stuff is good, I sometimes hear this negative take on things or something negative, yeah, but, you know, that's just one of the things I have to deal with, still, still trying to defeat, you know,
Caitlin Van Mol: like he's become the self critical part of you. Probably in 2021 Netflix released a documentary about Christie called untold deal with the
Christy: devil. Yeah, I look at the messages a lot of support from it, that it was helping other people, giving them inspiration, and giving them knowledge about domestic violence and how to get out and to get away. Not less, same things happen to them. And then also parents dealing with their children's sexuality. Had a lot of parents contact me about about their children. That made me feel that made me feel really good, good.
Caitlin Van Mol: Christy also has a biopic coming out Friday, November 7. That's this Friday. If you are listening to this the week this episode is released.
Christy: I mean, to be the movie in city. Sweeney playing me is really cool, really I told her, you know, she's gonna be connected to me for life, because we're gonna make a difference for a long time. Yeah, people are gonna be surprised about Cindy sweetie's performance. She got down and dirty and became me
Caitlin Van Mol: today. Christie is a public speaker, and she and her wife Lisa, are still in the boxing world, just
Christy: if anybody you know like trying to book speakers, and we're all out there. Christy martin.net, we're having fun. We both love boxing. We just bought a land for training center here in Central Florida, which we're gonna do box, real boxing, but we're also going to do punching for Parkinson's. When I was in North Carolina, the domestic violence shelters, they would at least bring the kids that were in the shelter to the boxing gym, which was, I felt like, was positive for the kids, yeah. And then sometimes the mothers that were in the shelters would come and bang the bags. And boxing is a good it's a good outlet, and it's, I tell everybody that boxing is not going to teach you how to fight, and that's not what using boxing for domestic violence struggle is what it does, is it helps your self confidence, and confidence is what we need. So through boxing. Or any physical exercise, I think, but boxing is my sport, so I think it just builds your self confidence, it builds your self esteem, and now you believe in yourself.
Caitlin Van Mol: Then Caitlin, this is live to tell I'm Caitlin van mol. You can follow the show on Instagram and Tiktok at live to tell podcast, and you can follow me at Caitlin van mol, please rate review and subscribe to the show. It really helps. You can also join me over on Patreon, where we have a community chat, extended videos and bonus episodes. That's patreon.com/lived to tell I'll see you in two weeks. You.