Speaker0: Now edgar i have a question for you most rational people try to avoid storms at any cost, you ever think to yourself hey maybe let's not go after the storm or better yet maybe let's go in the opposite direction of that storm not really because i i'm probably not a very rational person i think to do this so welcome myth fits.
Speaker1: It's time for MythBits. I'm Keri Byron.
Speaker0: And I'm Tori Bellacci. Welcome back, Keri. Good to see you. It's been a while.
Speaker1: Well, not that long. It's been like a whole week.
Speaker0: So listen to this. I just went to a friend's going away party. He's leaving California. And then another good friend of ours is moving out of California. Everybody's leaving the state. And in fact, my brother, he just moved his whole family to Texas. and so I get this call the other day from my parents and they're like okay you know we don't want to freak you out but we just got a call from your brother there's this huge storm going through Texas and they all had to move out of a room with any window so he basically just gathered up his whole family and moved down into the basement until the storm passed and I'm just like yeah like Like we have earthquakes here in California, but there's so few and far in between that to me, a tornado or storm, I'll take earthquakes all day.
Speaker1: Oh, yeah. I always when I'm talking to people that come from from the Midwest and Tornado Alley, like they're always like, oh, my God, it's so scary. You guys live out there with earthquakes, but they happen all the time and it's like a little shake. And I'm like, I like it might wake me up. And I've had one really, really big earthquake like 1989. Mind you, that was terrifying. But I've had one in my lifetime, whereas tornadoes seem to be happening all the freaking time. I was actually just recently in Oklahoma City and I was I was hanging out with this guy, Val Caster. We were filming something and he's he's a storm tracker and a meteorologist.
Speaker0: And OK, I watch those guys and I just think to myself, what is are you insane? Like, why are you doing that? You're literally heading towards disaster like that. What what happened to you? What happened that you're driving towards disaster?
Speaker1: Tori. What?
Speaker0: You're looking at me?
Speaker1: I know you.
Speaker0: I'm not that crazy. I do stupid stuff, but I'm not that. I'm not like a death wish. I don't have a death wish, Carrie.
Speaker1: Dory, I've seen you jump off buildings, be locked in a coffin with snakes. I've seen you try to jump a wagon with a beach cruiser. I've seen you buried alive. I've seen you do so many insane things. there's no way you can tell me that you wouldn't have been a storm chaser before you were a family man
Speaker0: Maybe i don't know it's just it's so unpredictable but you know like we tested we tested a lot of uh storm and weather related myths do you remember we were testing um do metal cleats attract lightning more than plastic cleats and i remember we went out to this facility It was like the electric company's facility. And they have this giant, like lightning creator. It would create these giant lightning bolts so that they could test their equipment out. So if, you know, if their transformers gets hit by lightning, will it explode? And so they let us come and bring our dummy, our ballistic gel golfers into this facility. And I remember it was like the coolest thing because it's, they would just charge it up. and then a huge bolt of lightning would shoot out of this huge probe.
Speaker1: I love all the places that we got access to. I mean, we got to go to NASA. We got to go to IndyCar. But like this this was local. This was so crazy. You could actually see those giant lightning bolts indoors. And we did a couple myths there. We did like the kite for Ben Franklin to see if lightning could hit the kite and then charge up the key. Like, I mean, what a cool experience to be able to go into a facility like that. Like, there's no way without being on Mythbusters, I would have known that even existed. We're so lucky. I mean, when you're a little kid, you're scared of thunder and lightning. But like when you actually see it, it is terrifying up close.
Speaker0: Yeah. You know, it's a good buddy of mine actually got hit by lightning when he was a kid. He's got this crazy story. Yeah, it's like it like blew his shoe off or like he was running through a graveyard. I forget the like the details, but he got hit by lightning and it is the most insane story. I almost wish we can get him. You know what? I'm going to call him right now. I know this is.
Speaker1: Dude, you're going to call him.
Speaker0: Well, I just want to see. I just want to. Yeah. It's such a good story that I feel like I'm going to screw it up. I'm not going to have all the details. And you're going to love this story.
Speaker1: Let's see. Yes, please. Please. This is crazy.
Speaker0: Walshy, what's up? Dude, what are you doing right now? I know this. We're recording a podcast. And I was wondering if you would quickly come on and just tell the story of when you got hit by lightning. Of course. All right. Let's go. Oh, Walshie. Thank you for coming on. This is Carrie. Carrie, this is Mike Walsh. He's a good friend of mine.
Speaker2: Hi, Carrie.
Speaker1: Wow, you don't look like you've been strapped by lightning.
Speaker2: You don't see the bottom half of me.
Speaker1: Oh, God. Oh, God. I want to know everything. Where were you? How did it feel? Oh, my God. I've never met anybody who's like... been just hit by lightning. This is crazy.
Speaker2: So I was 14, sophomore in high school. And my buddies and I used to go every every week we'd go to the Holy Cross football game. This is in Worcester, Massachusetts. And we'd walk there. And our walking path took us through this really long cemetery called hope cemetery so great game great day beautifully blue sunny skies and we're coming back and we're in the middle of the cemetery and it goes from like blue skies to pitch black and there's nowhere to go and my cousin and i and the rest of our friends but my cousin and i grew up next to each other in worcester and we always used to play in lightning storm i mean just like storms we used to love storms um so anyhow we're in the middle of the cemetery it starts hailing and we see lightning hit a tree and the tree just starts smoking but you know we're it's a very long cemetery so we just start running uh toward you know toward home which was we're still probably two miles from home but we start running in that direction and uh and we see the lightning hit a tree and my buddy Chuck, we called him Scott and I just start sprinting. There are 10 of us, um, all good buddies. And. I don't know if it was the lightning hitting me or after I was hit or just before I was hit, but I remember seeing like a shelf of light because it was pitch black at this point, where it was like 10 foot tall and it was all bright. And the next thing I knew, I'm on the ground. My sock was on fire. I could smell smoke. What? Oh, my God, dude.
Speaker0: That's so insane.
Speaker1: Your sock is on fire? and just running through a graveyard
Speaker2: Yeah it's crazy so i'm i'm on the ground and my buddy chuck is on the ground next to me i forgot which one said it first i think i think he said walsh i think i've been hit by lightning and i was like yeah me too and we caught up but everything was super disorienting like the brains my our brains just weren't working so i started running in the wrong direction. Sock is still on.
Speaker0: That's what happened to you. Now it all makes sense, Mike.
Speaker2: Still recovering. So my sock's on fire and I think I like kind of dusted it out and I'm running in the wrong direction and my friends turned me around. And I remember saying, hey, well, someone grabbed my leg and because I couldn't feel anything below my knee. So I thought and my leg was blown off.
Speaker0: Oh, my God.
Speaker2: Yeah, and whoever it was, one of my buddies is like, you have your leg, you're running. So you're good. You didn't like not touch your leg.
Speaker1: You didn't mean touch it to make sure you had feeling. You meant you thought that you left your leg behind and somebody needed to pick it up and bring it.
Speaker2: Exactly, yeah.
Speaker1: Oh, my God.
Speaker2: It was just, I couldn't feel anything below my knee.
Speaker0: Did it knock your shoe off?
Speaker2: It was hanging off. So it was, I had a pair of Chuck Taylors. In fact, uh, my friend Chuck's mom, uh, Called i guess because i don't even think there was email at the time and and called the ceo converse and told the story and we got free chuck free leather high top chuck taylor's because we couldn't afford oh that's awesome it was a huge win but yeah but my cut my canvas chucks were like hanging off so i had braces at the time so i think it hit it was it was um cut all along the side about three quarters or so but along the eyelets so the eyelets might have saved me otherwise it might have hit me in the face with my brace yeah dude yeah so we're running we're running and yeah i'm running on something that i can't feel with my foot my my sneaker flopping along and we run straight out and chuck and i somehow we're still kind of like ahead of the rest of the pack and we run into this house no knocking first house we see of course they're horrified and um this is still in Worcester and and they're like what's going on what's going on and we've been hit by lightning so we're sitting we someone calls an ambulance I guess my cousin had my home phone number um he calls my parents and we're we still can't process like we still can't hold a train of thought at all. And I remember we're sitting on there, Chuck and I next to each other, they're carpeted steps waiting for an ambulance or my parents to show up where we got there first. And our friends are like, you know, they're all like, what the hell was that? Are they going to make it? Because we weren't quite sure what was going on. I had heart palpitation.
Speaker0: Oh my God.
Speaker2: Could not think, like just could not hold a train of thought.
Speaker1: Not the phone call your parents are expecting to get, like, when you're in trouble. Your son's been hit by lightning. Like, that's crazy.
Speaker0: Right.
Speaker2: Exactly. And then they got there before the ambulance, which is crazy, because we were only a couple miles from the house. But anyhow, they got there first, and... We said, cancel the ambulance or whatever. We didn't go in the ambulance. We're like, just take us to the hospital because we started feeling a little bit better. We knew we weren't 100% yet.
Speaker0: You think?
Speaker2: Yeah. But we thought we were pretty good. So we're like, no, I'm going to just go with my parents. And we get in the car. And going back to the fact that we used to run around in the storms and they didn't love it because my dad's tornado experience. They're like, you sure you're okay? You sure you're okay? We're like, yeah, no, we're going to be fine. I think I broke my elbow, which I did. By the way, our buddies said we're on the ground for like a minute, got thrown like 10 feet up in the air. And, you know, that could be 14-year-olds exaggerating, but that's what they said. But I did break my elbow. And when I told my parents, I'm like, yeah, I'm okay. I think we're going to be okay. They're like, what are you doing playing Thunderstorms?
Speaker0: This is why I told you not to play in the Thunderstorms.
Speaker1: God, the most I told you so moment of a parent's life ever. I just, all you kids out there, listen to us. You could get hit by lightning if you go play in a storm. My God.
Speaker0: But then tell the story about years later, like in your adult life, you went to the dentist and tell, tell them that story.
Speaker2: Oh yeah. So I, yeah, we, by the way, we, we get, so we get to the hospital, broke my elbow, had a heart palpitation and stuff. And we're like, what do we do? Um, what's, what do we do to like, is there any treatment? They're like, I don't know. Most people that show up and they show up in an ambulance and they die.
Speaker0: Most people don't survive this.
Speaker2: Yeah. So we don't, we don't really have any advice, but yeah. So then many years later, I moved to LA and from Boston and I had, um, I went to a new, a new dentist. She asked me, she's like, have you ever been electrocuted? And I was like, no, why do you ask? And she said, you have all these tiny micro fractures in your teeth. And I've only seen it before when people have been electrocuted. And I was like, oh, I was hit by lightning. And she's like, well,
Speaker1: Yeah. Wait, so all of your teeth have micro fractures in them?
Speaker2: Yeah, a lot of micro fractures, which.
Speaker0: That's so crazy.
Speaker2: I've moved a lot. So when I go to a new city, I have a new dentist. They're like, yeah, I guess that explains it. I mean, I don't know what else would have done that.
Speaker0: Oh, yeah. I got hit by lightning.
Speaker1: Yeah. Yeah. And also, can we just talk about the fact that your dentist sees a lot of people that have been electrocuted, so like knows what to look for? Yeah. Wow. It's true.
Speaker2: There's this there's a crazy little side note to this whole thing about the brain part of it if you want me to go into that yeah go
Speaker1: Ahead tell us tell us i'm so interested on the science of this like what happens to your brain when you get hit by lightning
Speaker2: It was totally scrambled and and i can't really the only way to describe it is that i just couldn't hold a thought and chucks was the same way we just couldn't hold a thought in fact like 10 years later i went back to massachusetts and we're hanging out he's like do you ever do you have any like um anything that happens as a result of the lightning i'm like well In addition to the obvious, I'm not quite right, but I hear this ringing noise every now and then, and it's really piercing and kind of like disorienting. He's like, no way I hear that, too. So that that was a weird thing.
Speaker0: Oh, dude, thank you so much for coming on and telling that story. It's like it's so perfect. And I love you. I miss you. It's good to see you, dude.
Speaker2: Same, brother. Miss you, too. Love you. Good to see you again, Carrie.
Speaker1: Don't go walking through cemeteries in the rain.
Speaker2: I won't. Yeah.
Speaker0: You learn your lesson, kid.
Speaker2: Yeah. All right. See you guys.
Speaker1: Tori, I don't know about you, but trying to find the perfect, memorable, beautiful gift that just focuses on family and memories is difficult. That's where Aura Frames comes in. I got this frame for my mom and I love it because basically we put a bunch of digital pictures on this frame. And anybody who has access can add photos in. So my sister and I just filled it with like grandkid pictures and memories. And it just scrolls through everything that we want her to think about during the holidays.
Speaker0: First one we got, we got from my parents. And they loved it so much that they bought all the kids one. So now we're all connected as a family and people are loading up photos from time to time. And it's just it's so awesome because you're keeping up on everybody's life.
Speaker1: I actually put one in my daughter's room so that she could remember all of the awesomeness of our full relationship together. Because I feel like when they're, they don't get a long-term memory until they're like seven. So I want her to remember that trip to Legoland, to Disneyland, all of the traditions, all of the time we spent together. And I feel like it just continually jogs her memory to be like, oh yeah, mommy took me there.
Speaker0: The best part is unlimited free photos and video. Just download the Aura app and connect to Wi-Fi. You can also preload it with photos before it ships, and you can keep adding from anywhere, anytime. Share photos and videos effortlessly, straight from your phone, all year long.
Speaker1: And for a limited time, visit AuraFrames.com and get $45 off Aura's best-selling Carver Matte Frames, named number one by Wirecutter, by using promo code MYTHFITS at checkout. That's A-U-R-A-Frames.com, promo code MYTHFITS. This exclusive Black Friday Cyber Monday deal is their best of the year, so order now before it ends. Support the show by mentioning us at checkout. Terms and conditions apply. Hey, guys, welcome back to MythFits. I mean, Tori, that lightning story was insane. I can't, I just, I can't even wrap my head around how crazy it is for him to be, like, running through a cemetery, get hit by lightning, and then, like, his parents answer the phone. Like, that is the strangest explanation. Oh, my God.
Speaker0: Yeah. And what's funny is, like, he is insane. Like, I mean, he's like a great time. Like when we go out, we just get crazy. But now it makes sense. Like he got his wires fried. It all makes sense now that Mike Walsh is the way he is. And I love that.
Speaker1: I love all your friends have like nicknames. He's Walshy. That's how you, I know you love somebody is they have some sort of nickname to them like that.
Speaker0: You know, there's one year we went to Sundance and it was like this big group from manhattan beach that he would hang out with and so we get into salt lake city and this guy brought a cane and a neck brace and he we would just go into the shopping centers or you know in the grocery stores and he would just fake like falling he would just fall in the middle of the grocery store and people would come over like are you okay are you okay and uh i that's not a bit on video but it was just like they're just hilarious these crazy uh.
Speaker1: Guys were ahead of your time with all of that social media
Speaker0: Stuff. No, we're actually behind the times.
Speaker1: We're... Oh, this is when you were old.
Speaker0: This was like a couple of years ago. Oh, okay.
Speaker1: I, you know, I've been obsessed with lightning for a long time. I just think it's so cool. And I remember sitting on the back porch of my Aunt Betty's house and just watching the thunder and lightning. And just, it was always so cool. In fact, I was on a date one time where he was a pilot and he flew in for this date. It was it was we were, you know, out on the wharf. We're kind of like walking around and we decided a blind date. No, sort of. It was a fix up. It was a fix up.
Speaker0: But you knew like you kind of did you know what he looked like or.
Speaker1: I sort of knew what he looked like. Honestly, our friend Craig Ferguson hooked me up with him. It was his pilot. And so he came with references Wait a name drop? Well Megan his wife was really the one that fixed me up They're like we love him He's single You're single Anyway he came with references right So Okay We're walking around. It's starting to get stormy. And all of a sudden, the thunder and lightning starts. So we've got a bottle of wine. We're just sitting on a bench watching the sea kind of get higher, the bay getting higher and higher and start to like the waves are kind of crashing up really, really high up onto the pier. And then we watched lightning strike the Bay Bridge.
Speaker0: Whoa.
Speaker1: I mean, the whole sky lit up. I mean, this turned out to be the thunderstorms that started the epic fires that happened in California.
Speaker0: I remember that.
Speaker1: It was just a wild night.
Speaker0: I remember that. Stupidly, we went on the roof of where I was living at the time in San Francisco. Because we saw the lightning strikes were hitting Twin Peaks. And so I was like getting these slow motion shots on my phone. It was like the dumbest thing. You look at a lightning storm. Why don't you run up on your roof?
Speaker1: Seriously, you got to clearly from Walsh's story right there. You probably don't want to be outside when this kind of stuff happens. So that's why I was like, I think it's time to end this date when we're seeing that happening. And he couldn't fly home. So he had to spend the night at a hotel downtown.
Speaker0: Speaking of lightning strikes, do you have a photo of that?
Speaker1: I do have a photo of that, actually. So one of our – it's funny enough. I saw a photo of it online. And the photographer that took this photo was – See that that photo? I saw this photo on Instagram later and I'm like, yes, this is what was happening. So it turns out the photographer that took this photo, Carlos Gonzalez, is the cousin of one of our old producers on Mythbusters.
Speaker0: No way. Small world.
Speaker1: Very, very small world. So I asked if I could, you know, have a copy of this photo because it was just such an epic night and such a beautiful thing to watch. And like I I will never forget it.
Speaker0: You know what? I'm going to see if I can pull up the video from when I was on the rooftop because it's literally one of the craziest slow motion videos I've ever taken.
Speaker1: You took a video of it?
Speaker0: Yeah.
Speaker1: So you're standing outside with a phone up in the air?
Speaker0: Right. So dumb.
Speaker1: It's getting worse. Yeah.
Speaker0: But I posted it and some news network reached out and they're like, is it okay if we use this footage? Really? Yeah. It was nuts. I'll pull it up and post it. I'll send it to you. I wanted to show you this video that's going viral. It's like a basketball court during a storm. The lightning hits the court and then it liquefies and gets molten and falls down.
Speaker2: Now, I am sure at this point that a lot of you guys have seen this video right here claiming that they captured some sort of glitch in the matrix. This clip has been going viral everywhere. I've been tagged in it and DM in it many, many times, and it shows this guy recording some sort of sports field where lightning is striking. Strange part about this, though, is that the lightning turns into a liquid directly after striking the ground. And as you can see, the field is covered in this liquid. There were a lot of people in the comments as well, I assume going along with the joke. But here's the problem. Even if you're going along with the joke, other people that don't know what this is are going to believe you. This comment right here claims that it's called lightning liquidity, which actually does sound pretty legit. It only happens when the temperature is below zero degrees Celsius and the dew point is low. The lightning absorbs the dew. This comment got 50,000 likes, and I'm sure a bunch of people believed it. I'm going to burst your bubble, though. This is absolutely fake and edited.
Speaker0: There we go. Busted. Look at that. We're busted in viral videos as we talk.
Speaker1: When he said liquid lightning, I'm like, That's not a thing.
Speaker0: Right? But I thought it was funny.
Speaker1: Tori, remember that clip you sent me of Alan Pan? He was the guy. He was one of the contestants on the search for the next Mythbusters. And he did like a lightning, like a cool lightning video.
Speaker0: Yes.
Speaker1: Okay, so you sent me this clip. It's Alan Pan, and he's kind of doing something that we did. It looks a little familiar,
Speaker0: Doesn't it?
Speaker1: Yeah, it's a Tesla coil. And it's just kind of like it's he's, you know, seeing who's going to get hit.
Speaker0: But yeah, he's got he's got these four dummies set up. There are these wood dummies that he made. And then one of them is holding a sword. One has a golf club and one has an umbrella. And he's trying to see which lightning strike would hit first. Like, where would the lightning go to first?
Speaker1: Yeah, in case you're, you know, walking around in a lightning storm with a sword. Actually, one of your friends might do that. That Alan Pan guy is crazy. I feel like we need to have him on the show sometime. He's like crazy like you.
Speaker0: Oh, my God. That's a great idea because he was one of the contestants on the search, Mythbusters search. So I would love to hear what he has to say while filming that show.
Speaker1: Get all the dirt. Yeah, I mean, I think that they are using the same Tesla coil, or at least the same concept of what you used for the White Rabbit project when we were trying to simulate superhero powers. Yeah, I was like Lightning Man.
Speaker0: Yeah, you were like Lightning Man. It's kind of crazy because they put me in the steel mesh suit. You know, it's like the suit of armor underneath the chain mail. And so that allows the lightning or the electricity, the bolts to pass through the suit and not through your body. So I was literally shooting bolts of lightning out of my hand. And it was cool because we had these like ninja set up, but they were like balloons filled with methane gas. So I would hit the heads and they would explode, you know, make these fireballs. But what happened is when we first started, there was a hole in the chain mail. And so it was like tasing me in the hand. And I'm like, ah, is this supposed to happen? Like, this isn't supposed to be happening, right? Like, isn't it supposed to pass through the suit, not into my hand? And they had to like readjust it. But then it was totally safe. But it was pretty fun.
Speaker1: What a weird experience to have.
Speaker0: I know.
Speaker1: The job that you and I have held has 3,000 weird stories. Like, oh, this one time I came to work, put on a chainmail suit and just radiated lightning. Like these are not these are not regular bar stories when you're sitting around being like, oh, yeah, let me tell you about the old days.
Speaker0: Like the old. Yeah, totally. Anyway, speaking of golfing in a storm, there was this guy at a driving range. He hits a golf ball. And let me show you what happens.
Speaker1: Oh, wow. So he hits a golf ball into the air and lightning strikes the golf ball before it lands. That's bananas because it's the highest thing in the air.
Speaker0: That's so wild.
Speaker1: Okay, what are you doing in a lightning storm with a golf club, dude? Have you not seen Mythbusters?
Speaker0: Look how crazy that is. The lightning strikes the golf ball. It's so rad.
Speaker1: You never know what's going to happen. I can't believe the things that people catch on on video. Like they're just filming this guy at a driving range and all of a sudden lightning hitting his golf ball.
Speaker0: But how crazy is it that they're still there? I mean, that storm is insane, but these guys are still at the driving range. They're like, no, I'm not giving up.
Speaker1: I feel like we clearly need to have a conversation with everybody. We've gotten a little too relaxed around lightning.
Speaker0: I got another clip that I want to show you. It's this phenomenon that happens during a lightning storm if it will hit like a power line and then that surge of energy will just run up and down the street following the power lines. Check this out. what right it almost looks fake it does look fake it's like is that ai so you see the you see this city street just for people who are listening it's a city street at night during a lightning storm you see the lightning hit like a telephone pole way down the street and then you see this ball of white light follow the power line cross the street and then head back down the other side of the street. I mean, it's just, it's just unbelievable.
Speaker1: I mean, I hate now that anytime I see something cool, I assume it's AI before I assume it's real. Like that is just way too cool looking.
Speaker0: Sad that that's the state we're in. It's like, yeah, it's hard to, it's hard to believe what you see anymore.
Speaker1: All right. After looking at all these clips and hearing the story from your friend, clearly we're all getting a little too relaxed around lightning and storms. So we've got our friend Edgar O'Neill, the storm chaser, to come on and bust a couple myths for us about what you should do if there's a tornado, lightning, or a storm.
Speaker0: That's right. Stick around because it is the season of storms. You don't want to miss.
Speaker1: Tori, I know this isn't actually something you have to deal with because your dog doesn't have any teeth, but when I was trying to figure out the right dog food for Ziggy...
Speaker0: Are you making fun of my little Roy boy?
Speaker1: No, no.
Speaker0: Why do you hate My little Roy, he's struggling right now.
Speaker1: I love little Roy, but I'm pretty sure you just need soft food. But for me, I had to make a choice. Like you could either have like fresh and healthy food or you can get like the easy to store and serve stuff. But you can't have both. You know what I mean? But you don't have to choose anymore. Thanks to Sundays for Dogs. Ever since I switched to Sundays for Dogs, I noticed that my dog is excited for her breakfast. She is running to me the minute she can hear the food being like put into her bowl. It's basically a bowl of jerky. It looks like something a human would eat. And she's got skin issues because she is a bully, so she seems less itchy. She's more calm and focused. I guess you could say she's in a better mood, but she's a dog. Her whole day is just sleeping and being cuddled by me. Why wouldn't you be in a good mood? But yes, I've seen her really, really improve since she had Sunday for dogs.
Speaker0: Oh, that's awesome.
Speaker1: Sundays is fresh, air-dried food made from clean ingredients. Recipes are customized on the needs of your dog, its size, breed, allergies, activity levels, and more. For instance, my dog is a tiny little staffy, so clearly I'm going to get beef because cow is the natural prey of a Staffishire Bull Terrier. Unlike other fresh dog food, Sundays does not require thawing, refrigeration, or preparation because it's air drying process. You just pour and serve, which I totally appreciate. There's nothing grosser than wet dog food.
Speaker0: Oh, tell me about it. Every morning I got to get up and I got to dish out wet dog food. It gets all over my hands.
Speaker1: I'm going to get your dog some dentures. I feel like Roy can have like a really nice grill of just silver teeth.
Speaker0: Every Sunday's order ships right to your door. so you'll never worry about running out of dog food again. And you can cancel or pause your subscription anytime with Sunday's 14-day money-back guarantee.
Speaker1: Make the switch to Sundays. Go right now to sundaysfordogs.com slash mythfits and get 50% off your first order. Or you can use code mythfits at checkout.
Speaker0: That's 50% off your first order at sundaysfordogs.com slash mythfits. Visit sundays4dogs.com slash MythBits or use code MythBits at checkout. Welcome back, MythBits. Now we are about to talk to Edgar O'Neill. He is a storm chaser, and he's going to give us some tips on what to do if you're ever stuck in a storm.
Speaker1: Hey there! Welcome!
Speaker0: Welcome! Hey, how are y'all? Thanks for coming on our show. How are you? I'm doing fantastic. I'm excited to be on the show and, you know, talk to the MythBusters.
Speaker1: I gotta say, it's so strange. I have slowly just gathered a friend group of more and more storm trackers, storm chasers. Like, I guess it's just people who are really into adrenaline and science.
Speaker0: Yeah, yeah, for sure. If you like adrenaline and science, I mean, what better thing to do than storm chase? It like merges those two things together. Yeah, it's insane. Now, Edgar, I have a question for you. Most rational people try to avoid storms at any cost. do you ever do you ever think to yourself hey maybe let's not go after the storm or better yet maybe let's go in the opposite direction of that storm does that ever cross your mind, not really because i i'm probably not a very rational person i think to do this so uh yeah it's it always is funny when you you know you're there's several times where you're just beelining it towards a tornado and you just see all these cars running away from it you're like, Yeah, I'm doing this. Yeah, it tells me I need to make better decisions sometimes.
Speaker1: All right. Since you're an expert in tornadoes, what kind of advice would you give people who are trying to prep themselves? Like just a layman that's like, okay, one's coming. I'm inexperienced. What do you do?
Speaker0: I think that's a great question. The first thing you should do is be prepared way before it ever happened. Like know where your safe spot is in your home. If you have a storm shelter, that's the best case scenario. If you don't have a storm shelter, like recognize which room in your home has no exterior walls and is the farthest away from the outside. Those are the things that I always encourage people to do. And it's not time to think about that whenever the tornado warning happens, because you need to just be able to know and go there. So I think the best thing you could do if you live in those areas is to prep. Now, if you're in your vehicle and a tornado is coming towards you, see, that's something there needs to be that myth. I need to find out of getting out of your car in the middle of a tornado and getting in a ditch is safer than staying in your vehicle. That's a really that's a hard one for me. And I mean, even then I think the National Weather Service maybe even suggests that if that's the case, get try to get out of a ditch. I don't think I would ever do that just being around a lot of tornadoes. But that would be a really fun myth to try to to try to bust.
Speaker1: How can you tell when a storm is truly dangerous versus just like loud and dramatic.
Speaker0: Yeah. I mean, the first thing you want to know is if this is supercell and all a supercell is, is a storm that's rotating. So you can look at radar and see that if the storm itself has rotation in it. And then, you know, you start looking for all the signs of a tornado. One of the first things you'll see is a wall cloud come down, which is just basically any lowering that comes down from the base of one of those supercells. And a lot of times you can really tell a tornado will happen because when that wall cloud comes down, you can already see that wall cloud cranking, just spinning and spinning and you're waiting for that contact with the ground, which makes it officially a tornado at that point. But yeah, you're you're just. The tornadoes are it's insane when you you go through those stages of, you know, you know, spinning storm, then a wall cloud, then a funnel cloud and a tornado. And, you know, sometimes I could take three or four hours for a storm, sometimes like five minutes.
Speaker1: It's insane. I was wondering what that waiting game is like. Like, do you spend a lot of time just sitting in the car hoping that one's coming? I mean, or is it is it just hours?
Speaker0: Oh, it's hours. Average storm chase day, you know, people only see the exciting part. It's like 14 hours of waiting and doing nothing for two hours of excitement, adrenaline. You know, there's there's special days where there's like multiple tornadoes and they happen all day long. But most of the time you're just sitting and waiting and trying to be patient. And yeah, that's the hard part. Sometimes I always say you just drive around in circles a lot when you're storm chasing, trying to be patient in the beginning. It's the thing I have the hardest doing. I don't sit still. So it makes it a little difficult at times. You don't seem like a person that sits still for long. Not at all.
Speaker1: So what's the biggest myth about storm safety that people still believe?
Speaker0: Every town. This is it. You come in, you're a storm. Oh, they never hit our town. They come right to our town. They go up. They go over our town and come down. Yeah, that doesn't ever happen. But every town that I go in says that. Or there's like, oh, we have a river here and it won't, you know, it won't cross the river. So there's a lot of those types of things. Or we live in the mountains. There's not, tornadoes don't happen in the mountains. That's a lie. I've seen tornadoes and mountains and bluffs. I mean, they happen everywhere. So I think that's one of the biggest myths. A lot of people get very comfortable because, you know, their town hasn't ever been hit, but that's not because it can't get hit. It just means a tornado hasn't came there yet.
Speaker1: Myth busted. Cautionary tale. Nice.
Speaker0: Edgar, thank you so much for coming on MythBits. This has been so fascinating to hear what you do. I mean, it sounds a little crazy, as dangerous as it is, but hearing what you go through, it's just Something I would never do.
Speaker1: Bulls. Tori, in another life, you're a storm chaser. You just have a kid and a family now.
Speaker0: I would never do that. I would never do that. Yeah, I had a lot of fun. Thank you so much.
Speaker1: Those were actually some really good tips. And next time I'm out in a tornado alley, now I know what to do.
Speaker0: That was awesome. Oh, my gosh.
Speaker1: Thank you, everybody, for listening. Stay weird. Stay safe. and don't go running through graveyards if there's a lightning storm.
Speaker0: Don't run outside during a storm.
Speaker1: No golf, nothing. But you can stay weird. Till next time. Later, Misfits.
Speaker0: See you, Misfits.