Let's Talk Shakespeare: How did Shakespeare Get so Popular?
For the tenth and final episode of this series of Let’s Talk Shakespeare, I asked “How did Shakespeare get so popular?”. This is a good question, and a lot of people wonder why it is Shakespeare that is so well celebrated over his fellow playwrights. In this episode we looks at lots of reasons why this is the case, through key events and opportunities over the last 400 years that have led to his popularity today. This is such a big topic that this episode really acts and an introduction to further areas you might want to look up. Our experts also express beautifully how and why they enjoy seeing Shakespeare’s plays over and over again.
This weeks guests are:
- Professor Michael Dobson, Director of the Shakespeare Institute
- Dr Elizabeth Dollimore, Outreach and Primary Learning Manager a the SBT
- Professor Stanley Wells, Honorary President of the SBT
- Dr Paul Edmondson, Head of Research and Knowledge at the SBT
- Ben Crystal, Actor, director and producer
You can find the show notes for this episode on our blog: https://www.shakespeare.org.uk/explore-shakespeare/podcast/how-did-shakespeare-get-so-popular/