Varun Dhawan, Bollywood's Next Leading Man
We discuss Bollywood’s next leading man, heartthrob Varun Dhawan and three films that showcase his exceptional range.
· Varun Dhawan (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varun_Dhawan), is he a dreamboat or a heartthrob?
· Is there Bollywood Dirty Dancing (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirtyDancing)? (Apparently Pooja Bhatt’s Holiday (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holiday(2006_film)) is a remake of DD)
· Nepotism in Bollywood
Student of The Year (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StudentoftheYear) (listen to us discuss it here: https://audioboom.com/boos/4467740-episode-4-bollywood-the-next-generation?t=0), Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HumptySharmaKiDulhania) (which we discuss here: https://audioboom.com/boos/4467733-episode-12-bollywood-s-sweetheart-alia-bhatt?t=0), and Dilwale (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dilwale(2015film)) (here: https://audioboom.com/boos/4467734-episode-9-dilwale-bajirao-mastani-with-juliet-franklin?t=0)
As an intertextual (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intertextuality) star
· Main Tera Hero (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MainTeraHero)
· The plot doesn’t matter
· Songs: “Besharmi Ki Height (https://youtu.be/IFYJNLZTB0)” “Galat Baat Hai (https://youtu.be/coQ95u7w18)”
· Four colour comics (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Color)
· His bulge (https://www.buzzfeed.com/andreborges/people-really-think-that-varun-dhawan-has-a-boner-in-this-in?utm_term=.pi611j1wXj#.prORR5ROM5)
(INTERVAL (“Palat Tera Hero Idhar Hai (https://youtu.be/9vkcYxbGdTE)” from Main Ter Hero)
· Badlapur (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badlapur_(film))
· Erin forgot she had seen this film before
· A bleak noir (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_noir)
· A transformative performance
· The Nawazuddin Siddiqui Memorial Award for Enduring Police Brutality
· Credits song: “Jee Karda (https://youtu.be/VAJK04HOLd0)”
· Kuleshov effect (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuleshov_effect)
· The title’s double meaning
· Consumed by grief and revenge
· Dishoom (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dishoom)
· A fictional Arabian rogue nation
· Buddy cop dynamics and action
· The credits song, “Jaaneman Aah (https://youtu.be/wM9T-_qM0)” and the opening title song, “Toh Dishoom (https://youtu.be/OCZTqrm2QJA)”
· The Arabian club banger: “Sau Tarah Ke (https://youtu.be/PIyf0hMc498)”
NEXT TIME: We are joined by The Movie Jerks (http://www.themoviejerks.ca/) to discuss the unfortunately titled Jism and Jism 2
Find us on iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/bollywood-is-for-lovers/id1036988030?mt=2)! and Stitcher (http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/bollywood-is-for-lovers)! and audioBoom (https://audioboom.com/channel/bollywood-is-for-lovers)!
Follow us on Twitter (https://twitter.com/BollywoodPod)! Like us on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/BollywoodIsForLovers/)!
#VarunDhawan #MainTeraHero #NargisFakhri #IleanaDCruz #Badlapur #NawazuddinSiddiqui #HumaQureshi #Dishoom #JohnAbraham #JacquelineFernandez #SaqibSaleem #AkshayeKhanna #Bollywood #BollywoodPodcast #BollywoodIsForLovers