Gigi Lentini – the most expensive player in the world
This week on Golazzo, Jimbo, James Horncastle and Gab Marcotti look back to a time when it was always sunny in Filadelfia.
Gigi Lentini took Torino to new heights, including the UEFA Cup Final, and ended up in a transfer tug of war between Milan and Juventus in the summer of 1992. Lentini took Silvio Berlusconi’s helicopter to the San Siro for a world record fee. £13 million was so astronomical that it managed to offend the Pope.
But his life was changed forever as he sped to visit Toto Schillaci’s wife in 1993 and wrote off his Porsche. It was also the end of his career at elite level, thanks to a combination of a coma and Capello.
In the modern day, we review the action in Serie A where Chievo are no longer pointless and Milan manager Gattuso has angered the government.
• PART 1: An introduction to Gigi Lentini – the teenage prodigy (01m 00s)
• PART 2a: Torino in the early 90s – the team that reached the 1992 UEFA Cup Final (05m 00s)
• PART 2b: Lentini signs for Milan for a world record fee (13m 00s)
• PART 3a: Lentini’s car crash in 1993 (17m 40s)
• PART 3b: Lentini returns to Torino in 1997 – Dorigo, Souness and a run-in with Materazzi (21m 30s)
• PART 3c: Lentini’s legacy – a failure? (24m 30s)
• PART 4a: Serie A round-up –Chievo move onto plus points while Roma slip up again (26m 35s)
• PART 4b: Serie A round up – Lazio 1-1 Milan as Gattuso angers the government (30m 25s)
GET IN TOUCH:
• find us on Facebook, where you’ll find video, photos and loads of other stuff.
• send us a tweet: @theTotallyShow
• for sales and advertising email firstname.lastname@example.org