116: The DNA Of Murder and Direct Appeal
Later, we discuss another project headed up by two criminologists: Direct Appeal, in which two Fairleigh Dickinson criminology profs agree to look into Melanie McGuire's case, even though she's still appealing her conviction for her husband's murder (and dismemberment). The set-up's got a lot of potential, but a couple of structural decisions may have led to a disappointing result, though we hope Professors Shlosberg and Sacks take a run at another case...and we hope you'll take a run at The Blotter Presents, Episode 116.
- The DNA of Murder: https://www.oxygen.com/dna-of-murder
- Iowa Cold Cases site summary of the case: https://iowacoldcases.org/case-summaries/rose-burkert-and-roger-atkison/
- Direct Appeal: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/direct-appeal/id1462493685
- Murderpedia's Melanie McGuire page: http://murderpedia.org/female.M/m/mcguire-melanie.htm
- Mike and I discuss I'll Be Gone In The Dark in Ep 048: https://audioboom.com/posts/7349365-episode-55-048-the-golden-state-killer-it-s-not-over-and-i-ll-be-gone-in-the-dark