Jean De Fougerolles - Poverty Premium Eradication: Investing, Technology, Community & Collaboration
- The poverty premium where people in low income pay more than people that are better off. In the UK, 20% of households pay on average £490 more a year for the same services than other people.
- Fir By Design is supporting new startups or social enterprises trying to make markets fairer by not overcharging low income households
- The Fair By Design Fund and the Fair By Design Campaign
- Jean’s story of going full circle from being an economist in a Think Tank in New York to becoming an entrepreneur and then an impact investor.
- The Fair by Design Roadshow is visiting cities across the UK (Oldham, Bristol, Glasgow) to bring different groups together including credit unions, housing associations, local government and local press.
- Fair by Design is very interested in all areas of social impact where poverty premium lurks including food, poverty, transport, insurance.
- How to pick the best companies and examples of funded startups including Emergent, Minibems, Switchee, Wage Steam and Incuto
- Their next project is The Learn Fund, a new fund focused on the future of work
[28:15] Non-equity investments such as loans to charities and CICs
[35:01] The Fair by Design Roadshow