How do animals breathe underwater? How long do Tardigrades live - and what's the biggest animal that a snake can swallow? All these animal superpower related questions (and a whole lot more) are answered by our intrepid science reporters, Jeanna and Mindy.
Below you can find links to further reading on the topics discussed in this episode.
- The world's water dwellers have evolved several methods for accessing oxygen in water
- Jellyfish absorb the oxygen in water directly through their skin
Interview with Nick Caruso of the Department of Fish and Wildlife Conservation at Virginia Tech, co author of the spectacularly gross book Believe It Or Snot: The Definitive Field Guide to Earth's Slimy Creatures
- Tardigrades are microscopic organisms that are impossibly cute!
- They are the toughest, most indestructible creatures on Earth
- A common belief is that snakes are able to unhinge or dislocate their jaws
- In 2018, a Burmese python in Florida that weighed about 32 lbs. (14 kg) swallowed a young white-tailed deer weighing 35 lbs.
Music by Chad Crouch - Algorithms