Departure Lounge with Shane Foyster BCL Services

May 22, 2020, 01:19 AM

Due to COVID-19 there are a lot of people who have become recently unemployed and who are concerned about how this will impact on their current housing situation.

The system can be really confusing and it is really important to know what your rights are, what payments you might be eligible for and that if you run into trouble it can be a good idea to speak to a lawyer. 

Barwon Community Legal Service provides free legal help to people experiencing such issues. 

Here are some common questions community members have been asking about rental issues arising out of the CVOID-19 pandemic.

Can a tenant still be evicted for not paying the rent?
Can a tenant ask for the rent to be reduced?
Is there other help for struggling renters?
What about if a renter needs to leave their tenancy agreement early?

Shane Foyster from Barwon Legal Centre Service knows your rental rights (and is bloody passionate about the law around it). Shane checked into the Departure Lounge with Stampsy and Josh to answer your questions.

For more information:

Barwon Community Legal Service
PH: 1300 430 599

Economic Justice Australia

Social Security Rights Victoria
Tel: 0419 793 652