Our Giro stage 21: The call of nature
Richard Moore, Lionel Birnie and Daniel Friebe look back to the 2017 Giro, won by Tom Dumoulin, who famously had to stop to answer the call of nature by the roadside on the stage to Bormio.
We speak to Dumoulin about that day and his Giro victory in general.
There's also the final member of Ciro Scognamiglio's Giro Dream Team, the last visit to the kitchen for Lionel and finally we remember some of our favourite memories from the four editions of the Giro The Cycling Podcast has covered from start to finish.
Thank you to everyone who has joined us on the journey – we hope you've enjoyed listening to Our Giro as much as we have making it.
The Cycling Podcast is supported by iwoca and Science In Sport.
We'd like to say a few thank yous to those who have helped us make Our Giro.
• Our title sponsors Iwoca and longest-standing supporters Science In Sport
• Our producers Adam Bowie, Will Jones, Jon Moonie and Tom Whalley and Jonathan Rowe
• Amaraterra for providing the soundtrack to Our Giro
• Graham Watson and Simon Gill for the wonderful Giro photographs that have graced social media
• Our voice artist Flavia Cappellini, who tells us where we are each day
• Ben Lowe of Veloviewer and everyone at RGT Cycling who plotted and created the route for Our Giro so you could ride along. Was it the first digital Grand Tour?
• Stacy Snyder for her beautiful mugs and cappuccino sets, which sold out in a combined 18 minutes and to Marco Pinotti for connecting us with the cycling school near Bergamo, which will receive a donation from every Giro cup and mug sold
• Greg Andrews of DVineCellars for curating the Giro d'Italia and Baby Giro cases of wine
• Felicity Cloake, The Guardian's award-winning food writer and author of One More Croissant for the Road, for casting a forensic eye over Lionel's cookery efforts
• François Thomazeau for playing us out in such fine style at the end of episodes
• Seb Piquet, for lending us the Voice of Radio Tour once again
• Andy Storey of Prendas for assisting with the Coppa Italia of cycling jerseys
• Ciro Scognamiglio for being Ciro
• David Luxton and everyone at David Luxton Associates
• The shadowy figure of race director Daniele Frieberincini, the toughest Giro taskmaster since Vincenzo Torriani, for devising the route and setting the rules
• And most importantly, to you, our listeners for tuning in and for all your feedback. Thanks for joining us on our journey.
There won't be a stage of Our Giro tomorrow and the regular podcast will take a week off but we will have a new episode of Explore, our show about adventure riding and bikepacking, Lizzy Banks and Tom Whalley return with an episode of Service Course, and Mitch Docker's Life in the Peloton will feature EF Education First sports director Tom Southam.
In the next couple of weeks we will do a press conference episode where we answer your questions. To ask us anything you like about Our Giro or professional cycling, record a voice memo on your phone and then send it to us by email to email@example.com
OUR NEW CLOTHING RANGE
We have teamed up with Katusha to produce The Cycling Podcast Collection. The launch range is a cycling jersey and a t-shirt in both men's and women's cuts. To check out the range go to our website.
LIFE IN THE PELOTON
While we've been doing Our Giro, Mitch Docker and his old Orica-GreenEdge teammates have been remembering Their Giro when they won the opening team time trial of the 2014 race in Belfast.
WATCH OUR FIRST FILM