Jason Mitchell of Man Group - A Sea Change In Responsible Investing
- Jason works on better management of ESG at a portfolio level. What happens to ESG when elevating from a typical single issuer or single security measures to portfolio allocation of capital.
- “We actually think that cultivating different types of approaches is actually a huge positive for us because when you think about all these businesses ... as individuals streets or lanes all meeting at one intersection that ... kind of feels like Piccadilly square, it's just noisy loud. And at that intersection when it comes to this space you find differing, sometimes conflicting expectations, approaches and implementations of, let's say ESG. My point is that the intersection is an incredibly powerful way to understand what we want to build.”
- What are we solving for? What is the end game? ... The bigger end game is always how are you better at understanding the risk ... and how ultimately you can elevate this up to asset allocation strategies.
- When we think about long term versus short term time horizons or preference around ownership periods, there is also materiality concerns.
- The big innovation has to be data oriented.
- “It's been a complete sea change over the last 12 to 24 months, reflected in RFPs - requests for proposals - where clients are asking for information in a way that they haven't before.”
- There is a clear leadership effect with the biggest pension funds on the Top 50 leading the way and influencing the rest.
- The analogy to showing an example of one sustainable investment in a presentation to clients to when “Charlie Chaplin entered a Charlie Chaplin lookalike contest…. Its sort of an empty anecdote because it doesn’t reveal its context.”
- “One of the best things that I've done and most gratifying things I would say, is producing a chapter for CFA ESG investing certificate, it's chapter eight on portfolio construction and management.”
- The conversation with CEO of Banco Sabadell asset management in Barcelona sharing why climate action is important
- Understanding Jason’s personal arc and why he entered into this space.
- Importance of being curious is whichever context you choose to pursue.
- Why you need to ask questions, and not be afraid.
[9:50] About Man Group plc.
[17:00] What are we solving for?
[36:00] A sea change in interest in ESG and impact
[42:00] Race to zero emissions to the COVID-19 pandemic
[45:00] The anecdote/analogy: Charlie Chaplin entered a Charlie Chaplin lookalike contest
[49:30] Long term risks and scenario analysis
[51:30] The Importance of education - Podcasts and CFA
[57:00] What drives Jason Mitchell
[61:00] What makes an Impact Leader
Morgan Stanley report - Sustainable Signals: Asset Owners See Sustainability as Core to the Future of Investing
African Devleopment Corporation https://www.african-development.com/
Share action update: 24% of shareholders voice dissent at Barclays’ current fossil fuel support
Mizuho Financial Group: investors reject Japan's first shareholder climate resolution
Banco de Sabadell SA - Jaime Guardiola Romojaro, CEO.
Connect with JP Dallmann on Linkedin, Twitter, or Instagram.
Contact us to help you transition into Sustainable & Impact Investing - ILA & Partners