Warehouse Safety Tips | Episode 56 | 6S Methodology
Welcome to Warehouse Safety Tips!
And now that all that is out of the way - let's get to the Podcast!
Developed in Japan – 5S Methodology is a philosophy that advocates using specific steps to organize the workplace as well as working practices. Its goals are to improve efficiency and eliminate waste as well as improving safety and morale in the workplace.
There's a Japanese word synonymous with The 5S Methodology. That word is “Kaizen”. It comes from the words “Kai” (Which means change) and “Zen” (Which means to make good/better). Put them together – and you have the principle of constant improvement and/or a change for the better.
For the next couple of Podcasts - we'd like to cover each step of the 6S Methodology, with examples of each one.
The first "S" we'll be covering is Sort (Seiri). This step is where you sort and categorize items. Doing this allows us to separate what is needed from what isn't – allowing only the bare essentials needed for operation, and removing everything else. The elimination of excessive items frees up space, saves time, improves process flow, and allows staff to operate efficiently.
With this step - one of the biggest achievements is reached when you've found the best way of doing something.
In past Podcasts, we've stated the worst thing you can ever hear as the answer to a question is, "Because that's how we've ALWAYS done it."
By deleting, tweaking, and/or adding to procedures - you test and test, until you nail down the perfect process.
And just in case you're wondering what the perfect process is - it's the best you can do at the time, but know you'll always be attempting to make it even better in the future. In other words - you'll never reach perfection.
On our next Podcast - we'll cover the next "S" - Straighten or Set in Order (Seiton).
Until - then have a safe day!
Before moving on - here's a word from one of our sponsors.
- Mighty Line Tape is the strongest floor tape on the market and has a beveled edge that increases durability for industrial brush scrubbers, forklifts, and heavy industrial wheel traffic.
- Easy installation and removal thanks to Mighty Line's peel and stick backing. You can apply and reapply it during installation - and it leaves no sticky residue should you need to remove it. This allows the ability to change workflow areas quickly and easily - and not have the downtime associated with painting or using floor markings that leave behind a mess when you remove them.
- Mighty Line Tape is 7 times thicker than the average Safety Floor Tape.
- Mighty Line's Signs and Marking come in a variety of shapes, colors, and sizes. And if they don't have what you're looking for in stock - their Customize It Program allows you to create exactly what you're looking for.
- Mighty Line offers a Limited 3-Year Warranty on their Floor Signs and Markings.
- And last but certainly not least - Mighty Line Products are Patented and PROUDLY Made in the USA!
Thank you for listening to Warehouse Safety Tips - and have a SAFE day!