22 Jan 2019 | Porsche Plans 40,000 Taycans Per Year, Model 3 Approved For Sale In Europe and | Toyota Will Team Up With Panasonic On EV Batteries
Model 3 Approved For Sale In Europe | Nissan LEAF Is The Best-Selling Car In Norway And The Top-Selling EV In Europe | Maryland Plans 5,000 EV Chargers | Toyota Will Team Up With Panasonic On High Capacity EV Batteries | Porsche Plans To Produce An Impressive 40,000 All-Electric Taycan Cars Per Year | Tesco Plotting UK Superstore Solar Rollout Programme | Red Bull Has No Interest In Formula E As "Racing Purists" | Karma Partners With Pininfarina On Luxury EV Development And Technology
Can You Help Me Fight The Fossils? Read More About Patreon here EVne.ws/patreon
Read today’s show notes on https://www.evnewsdaily.com
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Tuesday 22nd January 2019. It’s Martyn Lee here and I’ve been through every EV story I can find today, and picked out the ones I think you need to know about.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too. And welcome to the party our newest member of the gang – and Producer of the show on Patreon - EGIL BJARKÖ
MODEL 3 APPROVED FOR SALE IN EUROPE
- "Members of the European Tesla faithful, rejoice: The Model 3 will soon be on its way to fulfill your entry-level-ish electric luxury sedan dreams. The car has finally cleared its last regulatory hurdle in Europe and the first batch of them are on their way now." reports Patrick George for Jalopnik "Bloomberg and other outlets report that Tesla has received the homologation green light from Dutch vehicle authority RDW, making the cars road legal across the European Union and paving the way for them to arrive shortly. The automaker will start with the Model 3 Long Range and deliveries are expected to begin in mid-February. The Model 3 order books opened to Europeans earlier this month."
- Meanwhile Simon Avarez at Tesarati says "Deliveries for the electric sedan are yet to start, but Tesla is already moving full throttle in its European push for the Model 3. In a previous report, Belgian news agency Focus-WTV has noted that the electric sedans will be arriving every week at the port of Zeebrugge, located on the coast of Belgium. To bring the Model 3 to Europe, Tesla is reportedly partnering with transportation firm International Car Operators (ICO), which uses RoRo (roll-on, roll-off) ships capable of loading and unloading cargo quickly."
NISSAN LEAF IS THE BEST-SELLING CAR IN NORWAY AND THE TOP-SELLING EV IN EUROPE
- Sales of the award-winning, all-electric Nissan LEAF are surging throughout Europe as consumer appetite for electric vehicles continues to grow. Norway has emerged as a standout market for the LEAF, with more car buyers opting for the EV over any other car on sale.
- More than 12,000 LEAFs found homes in Norway in 2018, with the nation’s strong focus on sustainability cited for its sales success.
- This success is mirrored locally as the Nissan LEAF continues to be the bestselling electric vehicle in the UK.
- Owing to consistent high demand, the Nissan LEAF has taken the crown as the best-selling EV overall in Europe for 2018, with more than 40,000 sold across the continent.
- To ensure LEAF remains the most competitive EV offering on the market, Nissan recently confirmed two new versions of the LEAF for Europe. The addition of the new Nissan LEAF e+ 3.ZERO Limited Edition, which is fitted with an uprated 62kWh battery, which brings enhanced performance and a range of up to 239 Miles from a single charge.
MARYLAND PLANS 5,000 EV CHARGERS
- "Maryland plans to deploy a new tool in the race to get automakers to sell more electric cars in states outside California: The state plans to install 5,000 electric-car chargers across the tiny state." according t Green Car Reports today: "Last week, the state's public utilities commission approved a proposal by four of its largest utilities to install the 5,000 chargers in an effort to sell 300,000 electric cars in the state by 2025 and reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 40 percent below 2006 levels by 2030. That's a lot of chargers for the nation's ninth smallest state."
TOYOTA WILL TEAM UP WITH PANASONIC ON HIGH CAPACITY EV BATTERIES
- "Japanese corporate giants Toyota Motor and Panasonic are joining forces to face the growing demand for plug-in vehicles. According to Nikkei, their plan is to launch a joint venture for battery manufacturing as soon as 2020. Both companies hope to achieve battery cost reduction and increased manufacturing scale in order to better compete with Chinese competitors." says Wade Malone for InsideEVs.com: "Toyota will reportedly hold a 51% stake with Panasonic being the only other player at 49%. Once the joint venture is established, control of five existing Panasonic plants will be turned over to the new company. Obviously, no facility affiliated with current Panasonic partner Tesla will be impacted."
PORSCHE PLANS TO PRODUCE AN IMPRESSIVE 40,000 ALL-ELECTRIC TAYCAN CARS PER YEAR
- Meanwhile Fred ver at Electrek reports that: "Porsche is reportedly doubling the planned production capacity for the Taycan, its first all-electric vehicle, to a massive 40,000 units per year, according to a German report. Previously, Porsche was reportedly planning to produce about 20,000 Taycan vehicles per year. The program would be larger than the Panamera, Porsche’s flagship sedan and likely the closest competitor to their new all-electric vehicle. At 40,000 units per year, it would become one of the company’s largest vehicle programs behind its SUVs like the Cayenne and Macan. Porsche was apparently encouraged by early reservations for the Taycan, which they opened in a few markets. In Norway alone, the automaker says that they received close to 3,000 reservations with deposits. Normally,
- Porsche sells only about 600 vehicles per year in the market."
TESCO PLOTTING UK SUPERSTORE SOLAR ROLLOUT PROGRAMME
- UK Supermarket: "Tesco is planning a major rollout of solar on the roofs of its stores in the UK, Solar Power Portal can reveal. Alongside its in-house market research team, SPP has identified at least five planning applications to install solar on the roofs of Tesco superstores in Nottingham, Lewisham, Sheerness, Martlesham and Yeovil, indicating that the rollout is countrywide and not consigned to any specific geography."
RED BULL HAS NO INTEREST IN FORMULA E AS "RACING PURISTS"
- OUCH! "The Red Bull Formula 1 squad is not interested in entering ABB FIA Formula E "because we're racing purists", according to Helmut Marko. When asked why it was not interested in entering FE, Marko told Motorsport.com that it was "because we're racing purists" and that the series did not fit with its promotional efforts."
KARMA PARTNERS WITH PININFARINA ON LUXURY EV DEVELOPMENT AND TECHNOLOGY
- "Karma Automotive has big plans for 2019, announcing a partnership with Pininfarina. The tie-up expands the range of collaborations among the electric car world; we can draw a line to Pininfarina to Rimac, Rivian, and now Karma." says Autoblog: "The union was described as bolstering "each partner's commitment to beautiful luxury automotive design and ... a major addition to Karma's growing list of strategic business partners" to assist in technology and development. We've been told to expect the first fruits of the partnership in the second quarter of this year, but the press release didn't explicitly mention a car — that might be further down the line."
And thanks to MYEV.com they’ve set us another Question Of The Week. Keep your comments coming in on email and YouTube…
What’s the best way to your to get your first experience of driving an EV? Test drive, hire, experience centre? And if you are already an EV driver, how would have liked to have gotten your first experience of driving an EV if you could do it again?
I want to say a heartfelt thank you to the 176 patrons of this podcast whose generosity means I get to keep making this show, which aims to entertain and inform thousands of listeners every day about a brighter future. By no means do you have to check out Patreon but if it’s something you’ve been thinking about, by all means look at patreon.com/evnewsdaily
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE (PREMIUM PARTNER)
ELECTRICMOTORING.NET (PREMIUM PARTNER)
BRAD CROSBY (PREMIUM PARTNER)
DAVID ALLEN (PARTNER)
OEM AUDIO OF NEW ZEALAND AND EVPOWER.CO.NZ (PARTNER)
SASCHA PALLENBERG (PARTNER)
JON BEARDY MCBEARDFACE (PARTNER)
ALAN ROBSON @SCOTTISHEVOWNER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ARILD GEIR SKAALSVEEN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ASHLEY HILL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BÅRD FJUKSTAD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BOB MUIR / GINGERCOMPUTERS.COM IN DUNDEE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BORISLAV BORISOV (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BRENT KINGSFORD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BRIAN WEATHERALL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BRYAN YOUNG (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CESAR TRUJILLO (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CHRIS BENSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CHRIS HOPKINS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAMIEN DAVIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DARREN BYRD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DARREN SANT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVE DEWSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID FINCH (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID PARTINGTON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID PRESCOTT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DIRK RUTSATZ (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
FREDRIK ROVIK (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
GEORGE CLARGO (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JACK OAKLEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JASON FAN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JEFF ERBES (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JERRY ALLISON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JOHN BAILEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JON KNODEL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JON TIMMIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
KEN MORRIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
KEVIN MEYERSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LARS DAHLAGER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LAURENCE D ALLEN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LOUIS HOPKIN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LUKE CULLEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARCEL LOHMANN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARCEL WARD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARTIN CROFT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MATTHEW ELLIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MATTHEW GROOBY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MAZ SHAR (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MIKE ROGERS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PAUL SEAGER-SMITH (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PAUL STEPHENSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PETE GLASS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PHILIPPE CALVE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RAJ BADWAL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RENÉ SCHNEIDER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ROD JAMES (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RUPERT MITCHELL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
SARAH MCCANN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
SCOTT CALLAHAN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
SEIKI PAYNE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
THE LIMOUSINE LINE SYDNEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
WALTER MACVANE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ZACK HURST (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
You can listen to all 364 previous episodes of this this for free, where you get your podcasts from, plus the blog https://www.evnewsdaily.com/ – remember to subscribe, which means you don’t have to think about downloading the show each day, plus you get it first and free and automatically.
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for ...