21 Dec 2018 | Swiss Police Hit A Tesla Roadblock, Nissan Confirm New Car Launch At CES and Fifth Of Brits Want An EV
Ministers’ First Step Towards Truck Co2 Targets Doesn’t Go Far Enough | Switzerland’s New Tesla Police Cars Hit Data Protection Roadblock | Geely, Catl Form Battery Joint Venture | VW Christmas Card Teases Electric I.D. | Tesla Gigafactory 3 In China Is Progressing | Autopilot Makes You The Driver You Should Be | Nissan CES 2019: “See The Invisible” Plus Maybe 60-Kwh Leaf E-Plus | Fifth Of Brits Target An Electric Car For 2019, Research Claims
Can you help me fight the fossils? Help spread the word far and wide about EVs? Click 👉 EVne.ws/patreon
Read today’s show notes on https://www.evnewsdaily.com
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Friday 21st December 2018. It’s Martyn Lee here and I’ve been through EV story today so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
Everyone bunch up a bit because we’ve got two friends at the party. Two new Patreon supporters making this show, a reality. New Producer JEFF ERBES and LESZEK GRZYL
MINISTERS’ FIRST STEP TOWARDS TRUCK CO2 TARGETS DOESN’T GO FAR ENOUGH
- “EU environment ministers today called for truck CO2 emissions to be reduced by 15% in 2025 and 30% in 2030, compared to 2019 levels. The European NGO federation Transport & Environment (T&E) said the decision is an important step in agreeing the EU’s first-ever CO2 reduction targets as soon as possible, but warned that the ministers’ ambition falls far short of what’s required to meet Europe’s 2030 climate targets and help hauliers reduce CO2 emissions and fuel costs"
- "A majority of countries, including key truck manufacturing nations such us France, Sweden and the Netherlands, called for more ambition and incentives for zero and low-emission trucks but accepted this compromise to avoid a blocking minority led by Germany."
- "T&E welcomes that the sales benchmark will also take into account the freight activity of different low and zero-emission trucks. Already 40% of hauliers say they may want to buy one or a few electric or hybrid-electric trucks in their next purchase, according to automotive consultant Bain & Company, which surveyed 553 haulage companies in France, the UK, Poland and Germany."
SWITZERLAND’S NEW TESLA POLICE CARS HIT DATA PROTECTION ROADBLOCK
- "Their arrival sparked international interest, but now Swiss media are speculating that the roll-out of new Tesla police cars in the Swiss canton of Basel–Stadt could be delayed over data protection concerns." according to TheLocal.ch: "But now there are fears a planned spring 2019 roll-out will be delayed after concerns were raised about the fact that the internet-connected cars "listen in" on their drivers because key commands are voice-activated. Data from these voice recordings could then theoretically be mined from Tesla servers, regional daily BaslerZeitung reported. Tesla can access information on the location of its cars, although the company states this option is limited to a small number of personnel. Meanwhile, the company can also collect anonymized information on the direction and speed its cars are travelling – potentially problematic for a police force."
GEELY, CATL FORM BATTERY JOINT VENTURE
- Gasgoo reports: "Geely Auto, and Contemporary Amperex Technology Co Ltd.(CATL) will set up a joint venture for the research and development, manufacturing and sales of batteries, battery modules and battery packs to enhance their core competence and the ability of sustainable development, both companies said on December 20. Geely expects the new company will help with the stable supply of key components in electric vehicles."
Read more on Gasgoo here: http://autonews.gasgoo.com/new_energy/70015499.html
VW CHRISTMAS CARD TEASES ELECTRIC I.D.
- More retro goodness, or back to the future? "A Christmas card released by Volkswagen depicts Santa Claus driving a silhouetted vehicle believed to be an upcoming electric concept car." says James Gilboy for The Drive: "Bearing VW's forward-looking electric vehicle design language, the vehicle is reported to be a member of its I.D. EV lineup, specifically a modernization of the Meyers Manx beach buggy, which was originally based on the VW Beetle. This concept vehicle is reportedly more than a handsome piece of holiday artwork according to Autocar."
TESLA GIGAFACTORY 3 IN CHINA IS PROGRESSING
- Simon at Teslarati says that Gigafactory 3 is progressing mainly because of the full support of the Chinese government. "Last week, drone footage taken of the site revealed that workers have already completed laying the perimeter fence around Gigafactory 3. The progress of the battery and electric car factory’s construction was emphasized even more in recent reports from local Chinese media, who provided some details on Gigafactory 3’s development. One of these reports stated that the facility, which is on its first stage of construction, is currently one year ahead of schedule."
- Simon continues; "This is not all, though, as local media also stated that the price of Model 3 and Model Y — the two vehicles that will be produced in the facility — can be reduced by 1/3 if Tesla utilizes local supply chains and labor."
AUTOPILOT MAKES YOU THE DRIVER YOU SHOULD BE
- Here's a feature which won't go down well with Audi drivers. Those who use the overtaking lane as their own. Don't even get me started. At best, ignorant. At worst, they force people to undertake which is extremely dangerous.
- And now Tesla Autopilot is doing the job of reminding you to stay in the low lane, pull out to overtake, and then pull in again.
- Fred at Electrek has the story: "Tesla Autopilot’s latest feature, Navigate on Autopilot, actually suggests you move out of the left lane when it makes sense.
- Two of the biggest things drivers could do to alleviate traffic are keeping a more reasonable following distance with the car in front and staying out of the passing lane when you are not passing. Now Tesla’s Autopilot is able to do both of those things with the new Navigate on Autopilot. The feature was released with Tesla’s version 9 software update. It’s a first step toward enabling on-ramp to off-ramp driving on the highway with the system doing all its own lane changes based on speed and the destination entered in the navigation system."
NISSAN CES 2019: “SEE THE INVISIBLE” PLUS MAYBE 60-KWH LEAF E-PLUS
- Nissan confirmed its presence at the upcoming 2019 CES in January with several EVs. The display is entitled “See the Invisible”.#
- Maybe they're referring to liquid thermal management on their batteries. Although rumours say that's staying invisible.
- Will it have CCS? Or stay with CHAdeMO? What will the max charge speed be? How will they keep the battery cool?
FIFTH OF BRITS TARGET AN ELECTRIC CAR FOR 2019, RESEARCH CLAIMS
- "Almost a fifth of Brits want to make the switch to an electric car in 2019 as part of eco-friendly new year’s resolutions, a recent survey has discovered." says James Fossdyke for Motor1.com: "A study by the Go Ultra Low campaign, which aims to help motorists understand the implications of electric vehicles, found that 18 percent of the 2,000 people it quizzed wanted to buy an electric car in 2019."
And thanks to MYEV.com they’ve set us another Question Of The Week. Keep your comments coming in on email and YouTube…
What are your desired realistic specs for a pure electric vehicle? On three topics only please. It's RANGE, PRICE and PERFORMANCE. And they've got to be realistic!
I want to say a heartfelt thank you to the 140 patrons of this podcast whose generosity means I get to keep making this show, which aims to entertain and inform thousands of listeners every day about a brighter future. By no means do you have to check out Patreon but if it’s something you’ve been thinking about, by all means look at patreon.com/evnewsdaily
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE (PREMIUM PARTNER)
DAVID ALLEN (PARTNER)
OEM AUDIO OF NEW ZEALAND AND EVPOWER.CO.NZ (PARTNER)
SASCHA PALLENBERG (PARTNER)
ALAN ROBSON @SCOTTISHEVOWNER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ASHLEY HILL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ARILD GEIR SKAALSVEEN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BÅRD FJUKSTAD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BOB MUIR / GINGERCOMPUTERS.COM IN DUNDEE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BRIAN WEATHERALL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CESAR TRUJILLO (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CHRIS BENSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CHRIS HOPKINS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DARREN BYRD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID PARTINGTON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID PRESCOTT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAMIEN DAVIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
FREDRIK ROVIK (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
GEORGE CLARGO (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JACK OAKLEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JERRY ALLISON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JOHN BAILEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JOHN H MEYER III (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JON TIMMIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
KEVIN MEYERSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LARS DAHLAGER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LOUIS HOPKIN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LUKE CULLEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARCEL LOHMANN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARCEL WARD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MAZ SHAR (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARTIN CROFT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MATTHEW ELLIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MATTHEW GROOBY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PAUL STEPHENSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PAUL SEAGER-SMITH (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PHILIPPE CALVE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RAJ BADWAL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RENÉ SCHNEIDER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ROD JAMES (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RUPERT MITCHELL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
SARAH MCCANN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
SCOTT CALLAHAN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
THE LIMOUSINE LINE SYDNEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
You can listen to all 332 previous episodes of this this for free, where you get your podcasts from, plus the blog https://www.evnewsdaily.com/ – remember to subscribe, which means you don’t have to think about downloading the show each day, plus you get it first and free and automatically.
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, and I'll catch you tomorrow.
CONNECT WITH ME!
Check out MYEV.com for more details: