Today’s big EV stories:
• Renault’s Electric Plan For Platforms, Batteries and Cars
• GM and Shell Will Give You Free Electricity for Your Electric Car
• Revel vows to launch Tesla e-cab service this summer
• Crashes involving Tesla Autopilot and other driver-assistance systems get new scrutiny
• Tesla wins against green activists who sought to delay European plant
• Tesla Model Y launch date and pricing in Hong Kong revealed
• 142 Tesla Megapacks power California
• Char.gy awarded £6.4m for on-street charging in the UK
• Netherlands licenses first EV smart charging company to provide grid services
• Connecticut Increases Rebates for Electric Car Purchases
• Germany: Plug-In Car Sales More Than Quadrupled In May 2021
• Porsche Macan EV interior caught in fresh spy photos
• New 2022 Genesis GV60 electric crossover caught on camera
If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon.
Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Wednesday 30th June. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don't have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com
for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
RENAULT EV ELECTRIC BATTERY COSTS TO REDUCE IN ELECTRIC-CAR PUSH
- Renault SA aims to cut the cost of its batteries by 60% this decade as the struggling French carmaker seeks to accelerate a push into electric vehicles. Renault also plans to lower the cost of its electric motors by 30%, make them more compact and extend their range, it said Wednesday. It plans to roll out several EVs in the coming years, including a revival of the iconic and affordable ‘4L’ model.
- In deciding to revive the 4L model that dates back to the 1960s after also announcing plans to remake the Renault 5 into an EV, de Meo is taking his penchant for vintage a step further. The latter will cost a third less than its compact Zoe EV, the company said.
- Part of Renault’s push into affordable EVs is a pledge to lower battery-pack costs to less than $100 per kilowatt-hour in 2025, and below $80 per kilowatt-hour in 2030
ELECTRIC RENAULT 5 HEADING FOR PRODUCTION - AND IT'LL COST UNDER £20K
- The Renault 5 EV Prototype is heading for production, although not until 2024, with a new platform and a target price under £20k. When Renault revealed the new electric Renault 5 Prototype at the start of the year, it was hard to believe it was just a punt at a future EV, rather than a car with production intent, as it seemed to hit a rich vein of retro-modern style and promised much.
- To no one’s great surprise, Renault has now announced that the Electric 5 will go into production as part of its plans to deliver 14 new models by 2025 – seven of which will be EVs – and arrive in 2024. So a bit of a wait then.
When it does arrive, the Electric 5 will use new nickel, manganese and cobalt (NCM) batteries which, say Renault, will drastically reduce the overall battery cost and deliver a range of around 250 miles, 134bhp from its electric motor and be underpinned by a new CMF-BEV Platform designed for compact EVs.
RENAULT 4EVER: BRAND TEASES ADDITIONAL SMALL EV
- Renault has confirmed it's developing a second B-segment EV, currently named the '4ever'.
The brand revealed the first details and a reductive teaser image of the front end of the new car, showing a rectangular 'grille' and headlights complete with Renault's new badge front and centre. It's designed to invoke the classic Renault 4 – one of the brand's most iconic models – and reimagine it for the electric age.
- The new 4ever will use the brand's new CMF-BEV platform – an electric version of the platform used on the Clio and Captur – which claims around 248 miles of range on a charge.
NEW RENAULT PLATFORM MAKES ELECTRIC VEHICLES ‘MORE AFFORDABLE’
- It says it will also strengthen its presence in the all-electric C-segment, firstly with the All-New MéganE in 2022, while the Alpine ‘dream garage’ unveiled in January will become a reality, starting in 2024.
The Group aims at providing the greenest mix in the European market in 2025, with more than 65% of vehicles in the sales mix electric and electrified, and up to 90% BEVs in the Renault brand mix by 2030.
- With CMF-EV and CMF-BEV platforms, the Group says it can capitalise on its 10 years’ of EV experience making dedicated EV platforms along with its highly efficient CMF-B platform.
For the C- and D-segment, the CMF-EV platform will represent 700,000 units at Alliance level by 2025. CMF-EV offers a range up to 360 miles (580km, WLTP).
- This performance, it says, comes from the Group and Nissan’s engineers working on reduced friction, weight reduction and a state-of-the-art thermal management system.
- On top of these new technologies, the Group is also working on a more compact, all-in-one e-powertrain.
This e-powertrain integrates the e-motor, the reducer and the power electronics (One Box Project) in a single package: enabling 45% less volume in total (equivalent to the volume of the current-generation Clio fuel tank), 30% reduction in cost of the overall powertrain (this value saving being the equivalent of the e-motor cost), and 45% reduction of wasted energy on WLTP allowing an extra EV range of up to 12 miles (20km).
GM AND SHELL WILL GIVE YOU FREE ELECTRICITY FOR YOUR ELECTRIC CAR
- While many companies and even countries have committed to going full-zero-emissions by a certain date, GM and Shell are going a step or two beyond that, offering to pay for the electricity to charge your electric car.
- “Coming this summer, owners of electric vehicles from GM brands will have the opportunity to select home energy plans that include the option for free overnight hours of EV charging1,” GM said in a release.
- You just have to own a GM EV, in Texas, and charge overnight. You can easily program your car to start and stop charging at certain times of the day or night, so it won’t be that hard.
- “Owners of eligible Chevrolet electric vehicles (EV) will have the opportunity to schedule their EV to charge during the free overnight hours, from midnight to 5 a.m.”
REVEL VOWS TO LAUNCH TESLA E-CAB SERVICE THIS SUMMER
- Brooklyn e-scooter-sharing company Revel is ploughing ahead with its plans roll out an all-electric cab fleet later this summer, despite the city’s Taxi and Limousine Commission blocking the move last week.
“We’ll be launching a little later this summer,” said Revel co-founder and chief executive officer Frank Reig at the opening of the company’s electric vehicle charging ‘superhub’ in Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn, on Tuesday, June 29.
- Revel originally wanted debut a fleet of 50 Teslas colored in the company’s signature blue onto the streets of Downtown Manhattan. In order to bypass the the city’s cap on new for-hire vehicles, the firm planned to use an exemption for electric vehicles, but TLC threw up a roadblock last week when commissioners voted to close that loophole.
- On Tuesday, the company cut the ribbon on its new electric vehicle charging hub at the old Pfizer factory on Flushing and Marcy avenues in Bedford-Stuyvesant, which will be open to the public to juice up their electric cars 24/7 starting Tuesday, with free charging for the first seven days
- the power center was supposed to support Revel’s fleet of Tesla Model Y’s, as well as charge EV’s owned by the public at the rate of 39 cents per kilowatt-hour
CRASHES INVOLVING TESLA AUTOPILOT AND OTHER DRIVER-ASSISTANCE SYSTEMS GET NEW SCRUTINY
TESLA WINS AGAINST GREEN ACTIVISTS WHO SOUGHT TO DELAY EUROPEAN PLANT
TESLA MODEL Y LAUNCH DATE AND PRICING IN HONG KONG REVEALED
142 TESLA MEGAPACKS POWER ON TO CREATE GIANT NEW BATTERY, REPLACING GAS PEAKER PLANT IN CALIFORNIA
CHAR.GY AWARDED £6.4M FOR ON-STREET CHARGING IN THE UK
NETHERLANDS LICENSES FIRST EV SMART CHARGING COMPANY TO PROVIDE GRID SERVICES
CONNECTICUT INCREASES REBATES FOR ELECTRIC CAR PURCHASES
GERMANY: PLUG-IN CAR SALES MORE THAN QUADRUPLED IN MAY 2021
PORSCHE MACAN EV INTERIOR CAUGHT IN FRESH SPY PHOTOS
NEW 2022 GENESIS GV60 ELECTRIC CROSSOVER CAUGHT ON CAMERA
If you could only afford one, would you rather - Solar Panels or battery storage? On one hand, energy generation. But then again, being able to store electricity when it’s cheap and use it later to charge your EV.
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK
– FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK