Today’s big EV stories:
• Rivian EV: Bezos, Blue Origin space crew ride to launch site in style
• VW Group's EV sales jump 165% in first half of year
• FAW-Volkswagen Begins Deliveries of the Electric ID.6 CROZZ SUV in China
• Tesla Semi electric truck is finally about to go into production
• Plugsurfing renews eRoaming partnership with Hubject
• 2023 Rolls-Royce Silent Shadow Is the Upper-Crust EV
• Fossil Fuel Consumption in The United States Hits a 3-Decade Low
• Car subscription service imove closes $22.3M Series A
• Royal Mail switches on all-electric company car schemes
• EV charging superhubs planned for West Midlands
• New long-range MG 5 EV on sale now from £26,495
If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon.
Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Wednesday 21st July. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don't have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com
for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
RIVIAN EV: BEZOS, BLUE ORIGIN SPACE CREW RIDE TO LAUNCH SITE IN STYLE
- Whenever you're about to rocket into space, you have to ride to the launch site in style. It's just how these things work. And that's what Jeff Bezos and crew did Tuesday as they headed to the Blue Origin rocket that took them into space for a few minutes.
- the soon-to-be space travelers first boarded a beholden-to-gravity electric vehicle made by start-up Rivian. Amazon, which Bezos founded and chairs after recently stepping do wn as CEO, invested in Rivian and ordered 100,000 electric vehicles from the company for shipping purposes.
VW GROUP'S EV SALES JUMP 165% IN FIRST HALF OF YEAR
- Europe was the automaker's top EV market, with sales of 128,078, up 156 percent.
The U.S. and China were a distant second and third, with U.S. sales up 321 percent to 18,514 and China up 110 percent to 18,285.
- VW Group's sales chief, Christian Dahlheim, said the automaker expects sales in China to get a significant boost in the third quarter from the June market launch of the ID6 seven-seat electric crossover.
- Audi, which sells the Q4 e-tron and e-tron GT, saw its full-electric sales grow 69 percent to 32,775.
Porsche, whose only full-electric car is the Taycan, sold 19,822 EVs, up 342 percent.
Skoda's full-electric car sales were 17,697, up 257 percent, while Seat sold 6,172 full-electric cars, up 186 percent.
FAW-VOLKSWAGEN BEGINS DELIVERIES OF THE ELECTRIC ID.6 CROZZ SUV IN CHINA
- FAW-Volkswagen, the joint venture of Chinese automaker FAW Group and Volkswagen, has started deliveries of the ID CROZZ SUV, newest member of the ID family of electric vehicles for the China market, local news outlet Gasgoo reports.
- Deliveries of the ID.6 CROZZ to customers in China began on July 18.
- The ID.6 CROZZ is the sister model of the ID.6 X SUV, which is built by VW's other joint venture SAIC Volkswagen in Shanghai.
- The ID CROZZ is available in two battery options, 62.6 kWh or 84.8 kWh.
TESLA SEMI ELECTRIC TRUCK IS FINALLY ABOUT TO GO INTO PRODUCTION
- After years of delays, Tesla is finally about to start production of Tesla Semi, its all-electric semi-truck.
- sources familiar with the matter told Electrek that the drive axle production line is ready and the general assembly line is going through its final debugging before starting production.
- Tesla has indicated that the electric truck would enter production this year with some deliveries to customers, but the company didn’t release any details about the planned production.
Tesla has revealed that it plans to use the first few Tesla Semi trucks for its own operations, but some long-time reservation holders are also expected to take delivery this year.
Acceleration 0-60 mph with 80k lb - 20 sec
Speed up a 5% Grade - 60 mph
Mile Range - 300 or 500 miles
Powertrain - 4 Independent Motors on Rear Axles
Base Price (300 mile range - $150,000)
Base Price (500 mile range) - $180,000
Elon Musk on Twitter: "@WholeMarsBlog You don’t even need to touch the shifter in new S. Auto detect direction will come as an optional setting to all cars with FSD." / Twitter
- Auto detect direction will come as an optional setting to all cars with FSD.
PLUGSURFING RENEWS EROAMING PARTNERSHIP WITH HUBJECT
- Hubject and Plugsurfing announce the renewal of their long-lasting international roaming partnership. Hubject will continue to give Plugsurfing access to their eRoaming platform intercharge, effectively giving Plugsurfing customers access to 150,000 charging stations across Europe.
- Hubject and Plugsurfing rely on Hubject’s intercharge platform, which promotes interoperability. The partners name values like accessibility, variety of choice, seamless connection and transparency. In practice, Plugsurfing customers can find, access and pay for charging at the participating charge point operators via the company’s RFID charging key and mobile app.
2023 ROLLS-ROYCE SILENT SHADOW IS THE UPPER-CRUST EV
- Rolls-Royce is BMW's ultra-luxury brand, and its first production electric vehicle—and likely the first from any of the few brands in such rarified air—is believed to be called Silent Shadow. An entirely new entry in the brand's portfolio (meaning it won't replace any model, as has been rumored), it's likely a sedan rather than an SUV.
- Rolls-Royce floated the idea of an EV a decade ago with the 102EX concept, a fully electric seventh-generation Phantom, but found little appetite among its wealthy customers. Rolls people were also quoted as early as last year saying there still isn't customer demand for electric ultra-luxury cars
FOSSIL FUEL CONSUMPTION IN THE UNITED STATES HITS A 3-DECADE LOW
- US fossil fuel consumption fell by 9% in 2020, says the Energy Information Administration.
Coal accounted for 13% of US fossil fuel consumption in 2020, its lowest annual share since 1949. Petroleum products were the most-used fossil fuels in the US in 2020. Natural gas, used mostly to generate electricity and heat, took its largest annual share on record.
While fossil fuel use falls, renewables are continuing to rise to new records.
- You have to go as far back as 1991 to find a similar level of fossil fuel consumption. The COVID-19 pandemic and warmer weather have driven the decline, according to the United States Energy Information Administration’s Monthly Energy Review.
CAR SUBSCRIPTION SERVICE IMOVE CLOSES $22.3M SERIES A
- Into this space has appeared imove out of Norway, with what appears, at least, to be a new twist on the whole thing: a white-label platform offered to industry to enable it to offer these car subscription services under their own brands. Imove’s platform allows users to subscribe to electric vehicles from 18 different manufacturers and more than 50 different models.
- The startup has now closed a €19 million / $22.3 million Series A round
- imove allows a company in automotive, finance, insurance or even electricity and telecoms to offer car subscriptions as an alternative to car ownership or leasing.
ROYAL MAIL SWITCHES ON ALL-ELECTRIC COMPANY CAR SCHEMES
- Royal Mail announces a new initiative to ensure that all its company cars will be electric by 2030.
By 2025, only electric company cars will be available to order.
By April 2022, colleagues who need a car to do their job will be eligible for a new zero tailpipe emissions company car scheme.
EV CHARGING SUPERHUBS PLANNED FOR WEST MIDLANDS
- Two grid-scale battery storage facilities are to be built in the West Midland, creating the power infrastructure for mass-scale, rapid electric vehicle charging.
- The new sites, located in Coventry and Sandwell, are being developed by battery storage and EV charging specialist Pivot Power
- The new sites are part of Pivot Power’s programme to build a national network of Energy Superhubs. The company, part of EDF Renewables since 2019, is looking to deliver to 2GW of battery storage
- The new sites will replicate Pivot Power’s Energy Superhub Oxford model, which is nearing completion and will provide a blueprint for towns and cities across the UK to cut carbon and improve air quality.
The hub, first announced two years ago, will have up to 10MW of power on site, initially powering 38 fast and ultra-rapid chargers.
NEW LONG-RANGE MG 5 EV ON SALE NOW FROM £26,495
- MG has launched a new, long-range version of the MG 5 EV. It’s available to order now, with prices starting from £26,495 including the government’s £2,500 plug-in car grant.
- It’s powered by a 61.1kWh battery pack (up from the 52.5kWh cell in the standard car), which increases the estate’s range from 214 to 250 miles.
- The new battery pack also offers support for 100kW DC rapid charging
- The MG 5 EV’s safety equipment is bundled into the standard-fit MG Pilot package, which also includes items like adaptive cruise control and traffic jam assist, meaning the electric estate can automatically keep pace with stop-start traffic.
With chargers still being rolled out, should they automatically stop charging (and should the car release the cable) at 80%?
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK
– FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK