Today’s big EV stories:
• Apple Car rumors inspire Korean battery manufacturers to form task force
• PlugShare Platform Reaches 2 Million Registered Users Worldwide
• BMW Invests in HeyCharge, for access to a wider range of EV chargers
• Rivian teams up with Adopt a Charger to install FREE chargers at state and national parks
• Tesla co-founder: EV sales in takeoff mode, but production a worry
• Bollinger shelves rugged B1 and B2 EVs to focus on commercial trucks
• New BMW iX1 Spy Shots Get Up Close With All-Electric Crossover
• David is taking Wallbox to its first Super Bowl
• Court rejects Tesla push to reinstate higher U.S. fuel economy penalties
• Nissan Ariya and Leaf will coexist—two EVs well under $40,000, thanks to EV tax credit
• NADA says they're 'all-in' on EVs – but where they lead, will dealers follow?
• Poll Results: Most Toyota RAV4 Prime Buyers Paid About MSRP For Their Vehicle
If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon.
Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Saturday 15th January. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don't have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com
for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
Welcome to a new Patreon Producer JAMES FEJEDELEM
APPLE CAR RUMORS INSPIRE KOREAN BATTERY MANUFACTURERS TO FORM TASK FORCE
- a report published on Wednesday by 9 to 5 Mac, which claims that South Korean battery manufacturers have formed an Apple Car task force.The idea of a multicorporation task force being formed to court Apple's business is gutsy, but it may not be without its merits.
- Apple has had visits with several battery suppliers in the last month, presumably with the goal of locking down a supplier for a pack of its own design.
- Apple is rumored to be looking to South Korea for a number of its components, but it's not clear how many of those will be off-the-shelf, and how many will be custom.
PLUGSHARE PLATFORM REACHES 2 MILLION REGISTERED USERS WORLDWIDE
- PlugShare, the world’s leading EV community and a part of the EVgo Inc. (Nasdaq: EVGO) family since mid-2021, today announced that its platform has reached over two million registered users globally.
- comes on the heels of the platform surpassing over one million new app downloads over the course of 2021,
- In 2021, PlugShare drivers provided over 1.3 million ratings of their charging experiences.
BMW INVESTS IN HEYCHARGE, FOR ACCESS TO A WIDER RANGE OF EV CHARGERS
- BMW recently announced another important investment in the field of green mobility. This time, the BMW i Ventures investment arm focused on the charging infrastructure, an area that was criticized by the BMW Group CEO, Oliver Zipse not long ago. The company invested in HeyCharge, a German start-up that aims to open access to private charging locations for its users.
- Usually, in order to start using an EV charger, you’ll need an app or an RFID card, as well as an internet connection. However, most subterranean garages lack an internet access point or the ability to install such devices at this time.
- HeyCharge’s patent-pending technology, removes the requirement for an on-site internet connection by allowing the app and chargers to interact directly over bluetooth with the HeyCharge App or SDK. This increases system availability while reducing delay between the phone and the charger. Total costs in buildings can be lowered by up to 80% when combined with HeyCharge’s simple and effective hardware component, Access Point.
RIVIAN TEAMS UP WITH ADOPT A CHARGER TO INSTALL FREE CHARGERS AT STATE AND NATIONAL PARKS
- Adopt a Charger, the national nonprofit that provides free electric vehicle (EV) charging at scenic, cultural and civic destinations, today announced that American EV maker Rivian will sponsor dozens of EV charging stations in Yosemite National Park and the Golden Gate National Recreation Area (GGNRA). The collaboration will enable more emission-free transportation and support EV adoption as EV charging infrastructure is enhanced within some of America’s most popular national parks.
- Under the collaboration between Rivian and Adopt a Charger, Rivian will pay for the equipment and fund 10 years of operation and maintenance by the two organizations. Adopt a Charger, which celebrated its tenth anniversary last year, has installed over 400 chargers in 10 states, including in 26 California state parks and at major cultural institutions such as the Getty Center.
TESLA CO-FOUNDER: EV SALES IN TAKEOFF MODE, BUT PRODUCTION A WORRY
- Tesla co-founder JB Straubel, founder and CEO of battery-recycling company Redwood Materials, has good news and bad news for those who believe electric vehicle sales are primed to take off.
- Straubel says demand is picking up, but the auto industry isn’t moving fast enough for production to keep up.
- Straubel says industry sales estimates predicting EVs will account for 12.7% of all U.S. auto sales by 2025 may be too low.
BOLLINGER SHELVES RUGGED B1 AND B2 EVS TO FOCUS ON COMMERCIAL TRUCKS
- The imposing, battery-powered Bollinger B2 pickup truck won’t be seen on the road anytime soon.The Oak Park-based startup announced Friday that it is canceling consumer orders for its innovative, off-road-capable B2 pickup and B1 SUV in order to focus on its burgeoning commercial truck business.
- The $125,000 B1 and B2 were part of a squadron of epic super-trucks — including offerings from Rivian, GMC, Chevy, Ford, Tesla and Lordstown Motors — coming to market in the wake of Tesla’s success as a luxury electric vehicle maker.
- Unveiled at a glitzy Times Square event in 2017, it featured gob-smacking numbers like 614 horsepower and 668 pound-feet of torque, zero-60 mph acceleration in 4.5 seconds, 5,000-pound payload capacity, and a suspension that offered variable ground clearance of 10 to 20 inches.
- Bollinger Motors will refund deposits for those who had reserved B1 and B2 models.
NEW BMW IX1 SPY SHOTS GET UP CLOSE WITH ALL-ELECTRIC CROSSOVER
- The upcoming all-electric BMW iX1 lost a bit of camouflage the last time our spy photographers captured it out testing, but a new batch provides our best look yet at the new crossover.
- The iX1 looks like your traditional BMW crossover that’s been washed and shrunk in the dryer. The EV looks like it’s adapting the larger 2022 iX3’s styling cues to its smaller frame, borrowing the closed-off grille and blue accents.
WALLBOX TO AIR SUPER BOWL AD
- Electric vehicle charging brand Wallbox is making its Super Bowl debut with a 15-second spot from The David Agency that will air during the game's second quarter.
- "The spot is part of a larger, longer campaign that has other pieces that show that diversity," said Wallbox's Barbara Calixto.
COURT REJECTS TESLA PUSH TO REINSTATE HIGHER U.S. FUEL ECONOMY PENALTIES
NISSAN ARIYA AND LEAF WILL COEXIST—TWO EVS WELL UNDER $40,000
NADA SAYS THEY'RE 'ALL-IN' ON EVS – BUT WHERE THEY LEAD, WILL DEALERS FOLLOW?
POLL RESULTS: MOST TOYOTA RAV4 PRIME BUYERS PAID ABOUT MSRP FOR THEIR VEHICLE
The 4th anniversary of this podcast is next week on Tuesday 18th January. So this week it’s a self-indulgent question, and I’ll hope you forgive me for that. What would you like to see and hear from this show in 2022. What would you keep, and what would you change. What would you like to see new?
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK
– FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK