Today’s big EV stories:
• Bjorn Range Tests Ora Good Cat With Remarkable Results
• Oregon Clean Vehicle Rebate Program’s Charge Ahead Rebate
• Nio leases big San Jose office building for U.S. HQ
• 70,000 e-buses delivered by BYD worldwide
• Geely Holding Group sales grow 5% to more than 2.2 million units in 2021
• German transport minister backs electric cars in e-fuel debate
• 1,000 Tesla Super Charging Stations Built on Chinese Mainland
• BMW: Next 3 Series will have combustion engines, separate electric model
• Battery startup QuantumScape's new move
• For BP, car chargers to overtake pumps in profitability race
• EU to demand stricter CO2 standards for new cars
If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon.
Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Sunday 16th January. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don't have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com
for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
Welcome to a new Patreon Producer GLENN T
BJORN RANGE TESTS ORA GOOD CAT WITH REMARKABLE RESULTS
- Ora, a sub-brand of Great Wall Motors, is going to start selling its Good Cat model in Europe pretty soon with two battery pack sizes that both provide impressive range.
- 62.4 kWh and increases the range to 500 km (310 miles). Bjørn Nyland performed a range test in the latter and while nobody was expecting it to match the NEDC claimed range, it actually performed really well. He drove the vehicle in Thailand in quite warm temperatures and had climate functions off for most of the trip, and he drove exactly 372 km (213 miles) with exactly 90 percent.
- Bjørn calculated that had he run a fully-charged battery all the way to empty, the vehicle would have driven around 420 km (261 miles), an impressive result for such a small EV that will most likely never be used for long distance road trips.
OREGON CLEAN VEHICLE REBATE PROGRAM’S CHARGE AHEAD REBATE
- The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality has made big changes to the Oregon Clean Vehicle Rebate Program’s Charge Ahead Rebate. As of Jan. 1, 2022, low- and moderate-income households are eligible for $5,000 back with the purchase or lease of a new or used battery electric or plug-in hybrid electric vehicle. Previously, the Charge Ahead Rebate was $2,500. In addition, if the purchase or lease is a new battery electric or plug-in hybrid electric vehicle, then the rebate can be combined with the Standard Rebate for up to $7,500 back.
- Prior to 2022, Charge Ahead Rebate recipients had to earn less than 120% of the area median income for their metropolitan area. The new requirements ensure those households who can most benefit from the rebate are eligible. Those unsure of their eligibility can check the Charge Ahead Rebate Income Eligibility Calculator here.
NIO LEASES BIG SAN JOSE OFFICE BUILDING FOR U.S. HQ
- Nio USA has leased a big north San Jose building that will be the headquarters and innovation center for the maker of electric vehicles and smart car technologies, commercial real estate firm Colliers said Thursday.
- China-based Nio USA signed a lease for a building that totals 201,500 square feet, agreeing to a 10-year rental deal, according to Colliers.
- The new building will accommodate headquarters, research, digital development activities, testing, assembly, warehousing and other operations, according to Colliers.
70,000 E-BUSES DELIVERED BY BYD WORLDWIDE
- The Chinese giant has just announced the milestone, achieved after a decede from the launch of its first pure electric bus fleet in commercial operations.
- In Europe, BYD makes public it has delivered over 1,800 electric buses, operating in over 100 major European cities across 20 countries. These 1,800 corresponds to a 2.5% of the 70,000 vehicles handed over worldwide. Collectively, the European BYD e-buses have driven over 140 million kilometres, the equivalent to a reduction of 150,000 tonnes CO2 emissions. Globally, BYD’s eBuses have covered 5.5 billion electric kilometres.
GEELY HOLDING GROUP SALES GROW 5% TO MORE THAN 2.2 MILLION UNITS IN 2021
- Geely Holding announced today that aggregate sales across its automotive brands – Geely Auto, Geometry, LYNK & CO, Zeekr, Volvo Cars, PROTON, Lotus, LEVC, and Farizon Commercial Vehicle – grew 5% year-on-year to exceed 2.2 million units in 2021, a new record for the Group.
- sales of electrified and clean alternative fuel passenger and commercial vehicles grew more than 70% YoY, exceeding 330,000 units and accounting for over 15% of Group aggregate sales.
- Geely Technology Group establish around 100 battery swapping stations across China that can safely swap batteries in less than a minute. By 2025, at least 5,000 swapping stations will be deployed across 100 cities.
- Zeekr, Geely’s global electric mobility technology solutions brand was launched in 2021 along with its first premium pure electric model, the Zeekr 001. By the end of 2021, 6,007 premium Zeekr 001s have been delivered to users.
GERMAN TRANSPORT MINISTER BACKS ELECTRIC CARS IN E-FUEL DEBATE
- The debate over how best to decarbonise road transport has long pitched synthetic e-fuels against full electrification. In a policy shift, Germany’s transport minister has now said that electric cars have won the race in the EU.
- While leading auto makers have begun to pivot to electric vehicles, others in the industry, particularly fuel companies and auto part makers, have long argued that synthetic e-fuels can decarbonise ICE vehicles.
- Germany’s Federal Transport Minister Volker Wissing has thrown cold water on the notion that e-fuels will be plentiful enough to allow ICE cars to meet EU emissions standards.
- E-fuels are synthetic energy carriers created in an energy-intensive process and therefore relatively rare and expensive.
EU TO DEMAND STRICTER CO2 STANDARDS FOR NEW CARS
- There are signs of a possible further tightening of the EU targets for CO2 emissions from new cars. After the EU Commission had submitted its proposals for this in July 2021, it is now the EU Parliament’s turn – and it has apparently demanded stricter interim targets until 2035.
- Jan Huitema, the parliamentarian from the Netherlands who is responsible for this area, has now presented his proposals to the Parliament’s Environment Committee. The de facto ban on internal combustion engines for new cars from 2035 – officially only cars with CO2 emissions of 0 g/km may be registered then – as demanded by the Commission is to remain, but the interim targets until then are to be further tightened.
1,000 TESLA SUPER CHARGING STATIONS BUILT ON CHINESE MAINLAND
BMW: NEXT 3 SERIES WILL HAVE COMBUSTION ENGINES, SEPARATE ELECTRIC MODEL
HONDA AND LG ENERGY SOLUTION PLAN U.S. BATTERY JOINT VENTURE, REPORT SAYS
BATTERY STARTUP QUANTUMSCAPE'S NEW MOVE
FOR BP, CAR CHARGERS TO OVERTAKE PUMPS IN PROFITABILITY RACE
The 4th anniversary of this podcast is next week on Tuesday 18th January. So this week it’s a self-indulgent question, and I’ll hope you forgive me for that. What would you like to see and hear from this show in 2022. What would you keep, and what would you change. What would you like to see new?
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK
– FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK