Today’s big EV stories:
• SK Innovation aims to advance all-solid-state batteries
• Zeekr 001 2022 review
• White House Optimistic EV Credits Will Stay in Reworked Spending Bill
• London taxis drive electric expansion into Greece and France
• Top 10 Cars Sold In Netherlands ALL EVs
• S.Korea's LG Energy Solution sees record retail demand for IPO
• Audi RS Q e-tron at the Dakar Rally: Successful start into a new era in electrified racing
• Audi To Install Ultra-Fast 150kW EV Charging Across South Africa
• Refresh Tesla Model X with CCS2 charge port spotted in Norway
• USA: Rotten Robbie deploys first battery-integrated EV chargers in Silicon Valley
• Smart's New Electric SUV Will Look Almost Like The Concept #1
• Britishvolt: Electric car battery plant gets millions in funding
If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon.
Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Friday 21st January. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don't have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com
for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
Welcome to a new Patreon Producer JACK JAQUETTE
SK INNOVATION AIMS TO ADVANCE ALL-SOLID-STATE BATTERIES
- SK Innovation has revealed that it will be collaborating with a research team led by Professor Lee Seung-woo of Georgia Tech in the United States with the aim of advancing “the era of next-generation all-solid-state batteries.”
- Professor Lee Seung-woo and his team have developed a solid electrolyte that is said to boost ionic conductivity by 100 times.
- Until now realising a solid electrolyte that simultaneously ensures ionic conductivity and safety while functioning at room temperature has been the biggest hurdle with this technology.
- Last October, the S.Korean battery giant SK Innovation started to work with Solid Power, to develop all-solid-state batteries that can be made in the current lithium-ion battery production facilities.
ZEEKR 001 2022 REVIEW
- After owning Volvo for a decade and making numerous global investments in the automotive market, Chinese firm Geely should by now need no introductions.
- Zeekr, however does. It's Geely's new all-electric brand, spun out from Lynk&Co, a nascent maker itself. Unsurprisingly, given the name, the 001 is Zeekr's first model
- Billed as the world’s first electric shooting brake, the 001 aims to cash in on the growth in demand for performance EVs.
- 536bhp is generated by two electric motors – one per axle – and a 0-62mph time of 3.8sec makes it a match for the new BMW i4 M50.
- The 001 also uses air suspension that can set the ground clearance between 117mm and 205mm and two batteries are offered, with 86kWh and 100kWh.
- Charging rates can be as high as 360kW
- in China. However, once these are resolved, the car is likely to be heading to Europe. The question is 'as what?'
WHITE HOUSE OPTIMISTIC EV CREDITS WILL STAY IN REWORKED SPENDING BILL
- White House National Climate Advisor Gina McCarthy expressed confidence on Thursday that tax credits for electric cars would survive in a reworked Build Back Better climate and social spending bill after President Joe Biden signaled willingness to accept “chunks” of the stalled legislation.
- “I’m not seeing any dispute about the need to continue to make sure that these technologies are affordable and accessible to everyone,” McCarthy said during a question and answer session at the Washington Auto Show.
- The $550 billion infrastructure bill that was signed into law by Biden in November includes $7.5 billion for electrical vehicle charging stations, but a proposal to offer as much as $12,500 in tax credits for buyers of new and used plug-in car purchases remains in limbo as Congress struggles to pass Biden’s proposed Build Back Better bill.
- “EVs don’t just help us reach our climate and air quality goals,” McCarthy said. “When you drive one of these things, you want one. So we are talking about a real market here. Not one that we have to push.”
LONDON TAXIS DRIVE ELECTRIC EXPANSION INTO GREECE AND FRANCE
- The London Electric Vehicle Company, formerly known as The London Taxi Corporation and famous for its black London taxicabs, is continuing its European expansion, with dealerships announced for France and Greece.
- LEVC is backed by Chinese automotive giant Geely and has been expanding its line-up with its VN5, a fully customisable electric vehicle (with range extender) that is most recognisable as a taxicab accommodating up to six passengers or fitted with accessibility features for disabled passengers.
- But the VN5 can also be built out as a van
- The VN5 joins the TX Taxi taxicab and TX Shuttle in LEVCs range of commercial electric vehicles, but the company has also designed the world’s first electric campervan, the e-Camper, which was launched late last year.
- Late 2021 saw LEVC appoint three dealerships in Sweden, and this month LEVC has appointed dealerships in France and Greece.
DECEMBER 2021: TOP 10 CARS SOLD IN NETHERLANDS ALL EVS
- Dec 2021 total: 35,351
1 Skoda Enyaq 1,437
2 Ford Mustang Mach E 1,249
3 Volvo XC40 1,212
4 Volkswagen ID4 1.208
5 Audi Q4 1.147
6 Cupra Born 1.135
7 Polestar 2 1.060
8 Kia Niro 1.022
9 Volkswagen ID3 986
10 Tesla Model 3 974
S.KOREA'S LG ENERGY SOLUTION SEES RECORD RETAIL DEMAND FOR IPO
- Retail investors bid for a record 114 trillion won ($96 billion) worth of shares in the IPO of South Korean battery maker LG Energy Solution (LGES), adding to the frenzy for a piece of the biggest public offering in the country.
- LGES, which commands more than 20% of the global electric vehicle battery market and supplies Tesla Inc (TSLA.O), General Motors Co (GM.N) and Volkswagen AG (VOWG_p.DE) among others, had set aside about 25% of the total shares on offer for retail bidders, according to Reuters calculations.
- The company is expected to list on Jan. 27.
- The IPO price values LGES at about 70.2 trillion won ($60 billion) and will make it South Korea's third most-valuable company after Samsung Electronics Co (005930.KS) and SK Hynix Inc (000660.KS).
AUDI RS Q E-TRON AT THE DAKAR RALLY: SUCCESSFUL START INTO A NEW ERA IN ELECTRIFIED RACING
AUDI TO INSTALL ULTRA-FAST 150KW EV CHARGING ACROSS SOUTH AFRICA
REFRESH TESLA MODEL X WITH CCS2 CHARGE PORT SPOTTED IN NORWAY
USA: ROTTEN ROBBIE DEPLOYS FIRST BATTERY-INTEGRATED EV CHARGERS IN SILICON VALLEY
SMART'S NEW ELECTRIC SUV WILL LOOK ALMOST LIKE THE CONCEPT #1
BRITISHVOLT: ELECTRIC CAR BATTERY PLANT GETS MILLIONS IN FUNDING
What TV, Print or Digital advertising have you seen for EVs recently which you noticed, or thought was memorable?
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK
– FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK