Today’s big EV stories:
• Kia EV6 named 2022 What Car? Car of the Year
• Volkswagen giving electric vehicles chip priority as assembly to start in Chattanooga plant
• Tesla's Berlin factory to elect works council on Feb. 28
• Tesla Giga Berlin: More Than 100 MIG Tesla Model Y In Parking Lot
• Tesla Insurance goes live in Arizona and Ohio
• 37 per cent rise in public electric car chargers
• GM to deliver electric SUV Cadillac Lyriq to customers in 'few months'
• Cadillac launches pre-series production of the Lyriq
• Rolls-Royce 'Spirit of Innovation' Is the World’s Fastest All-Electric Aircraft
• Bird Unveils State-of-the-Art Battery Management System
• Cargo eBikes Coming To Manchester, UK
If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon.
Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Saturday 22nd January. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don't have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com
for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
Welcome to a new, mysterisouly names, Patreon Producer N FROM CANADA
KIA EV6 NAMED 2022 WHAT CAR? CAR OF THE YEAR
- The Kia EV6 has been named What Car? Car of the year 2022.
- The electric SUV earned the top prize for setting new benchmarks for electric cars, with an official range of 328 miles and managing 224 miles in a near worst-case low temperature conditions test conducted by What Car?’s testers. The judges also praised its super-fast, 800V charging capability, allowing for a 10-80% charge in as little ast 18 minutes.
- The win makes Kia only the third non-European manufacturer to win the top prize at the What Car? Awards, which began in 1978.
- FAMILY SUV: Volvo XC40 Recharge T4 Plus (Dark Theme)
- SMALL EV: Cupra Born 58kWh V2
- LARGE EV: Tesla Model 3 Long Range
- PERFORMANCE CAR: Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo 4S
- INNOVATION AWARD: Gridserve
VOLKSWAGEN GIVING ELECTRIC VEHICLES CHIP PRIORITY AS ASSEMBLY TO START IN CHATTANOOGA PLANT
- Volkswagen's electric vehicles are getting priority over conventional models in terms of the availability of semiconductor chips as the company's Chattanooga plant soon launches a battery-powered SUV, an official said.
- Volkswagen Group of America became the No. 2 seller of EVs in the United States last year with its ID.4 SUV and other electric vehicles
- VW is spending $800 million in an expansion at the Chattanooga plant to ready for production of the ID.4 later this year. Early prototypes are already coming down the assembly line.
TESLA'S BERLIN FACTORY TO ELECT WORKS COUNCIL ON FEB. 28
- Tesla's Berlin factory will elect its first works council on Feb. 28, Germany's largest union IG Metall said on Thursday, expressing concern that it was too soon for the election to result in a truly representative body.
- Only one in six of the roughly 12,000 workers expected at the plant have been hired so far,
- calling an election before a wider swathe of workers are hired will lead to a council top-heavy with management
- Under German labor law, only employees who have been working at a company for at least six months can stand for election.
TESLA GIGA BERLIN: MORE THAN 100 MIG TESLA MODEL Y IN PARKING LOT
- One of the latest drone flyovers of the Tesla Giga Berlin plant in Grünheide near Berlin, Germany indicate that Tesla has already produced a substantial number of pre-production Model Y.
- Tobias Lindh reports that more than 100 units were seen in the parking lot on January 18.
- it is allowed to produce 2,000 Model Y bodies (up from 250 previously), which potentially means also 2,000 fully assembled pre-production cars.
- If the manufacturer launches the Made-in-Germany (MIG) cars with the 2170-type cylindrical cell battery, it actually should not differ much compared to the ones produced in California or China.
TESLA INSURANCE GOES LIVE IN ARIZONA AND OHIO
- Tesla Insurance has officially gone live in Arizona and Ohio, becoming the fourth and fifth states to have access to the company’s in-house coverage program.
- Tesla officially confirmed that its insurance program was officially active in Arizona and Ohio by adding the two states to the Insurance webpage on its website. Arizona and Ohio officially join California, Texas, and Illinois as the other states to offer the in-house program.
- Tesla Insurance is expected to launch in New York in the coming months, CEO Elon Musk said in September.
37 PER CENT RISE IN PUBLIC ELECTRIC CAR CHARGERS
- Official figures revealed by the Department for Transport show the number of public charge points for electric cars rose by 37 per cent in 2021.
- That amounts to 7,600 new devices, which means, as of January 1, 2022, there were a total of 28,375 public charge points available, of which 5,156 were rapid chargers
- . In the capital, there are 102 public chargers per 100,000 of population, while at the other end of the scale Northern Ireland has just 18 per 100,000.
- The average provision across the UK is 42 per 100,000.
- DfT says its information is provided by the EV charge point app Zap-Map, which claims to record 95 per cent of all available devices. The government’s own database (the National Chargepoint Registry) records fewer than 20,000 public charge points nationwide
- Zap-Map doesn’t record how many cars can be charged by a single charge point device, so the true picture of charge capacity is likely to be higher than the stated number, the DfT says.
GM TO DELIVER ELECTRIC SUV CADILLAC LYRIQ TO CUSTOMERS IN 'FEW MONTHS'
- General Motors Co's (GM.N) pre-production version of electric SUV Cadillac Lyriq have been assembled and the final production version is expected to be delivered to customers in a few months, President Mark Reuss said in a LinkedIn post on Thursday
- Lyriq, an all-electric mid-size SUV, was unveiled by GM in August 2020 in a move to transform its traditional combustion engine lineup to an electric one.GM
's Cadillac will offer the Lyriq, Symboliq, Celestiq, Escalade EV as well as a compact SUV by 2025.
CADILLAC LAUNCHES PRE-SERIES PRODUCTION OF THE LYRIQ
- Cadillac has started pre-series production of its first electric model, the Lyriq, at GM’s Spring Hill assembly plant in the state of Tennessee. The first deliveries of the electric car are expected to take place “in a few months”.
- CEO Mary Barra commented under Reuss’ post, “Our teams continue to prove that we can do remarkable things when we share a vision. Thank you to the Spring Hill and Cadillac teams for all their hard work to make this milestone possible.” She said she couldn’t wait “for customers to experience how the Cadillac Lyriq truly redefines expectations for luxury electric vehicles.”
- In September, reservations were opened in the US and closed again only a few minutes later because the ‘Debut Edition’ was already sold out.
ROLLS-ROYCE 'SPIRIT OF INNOVATION' IS THE WORLD’S FASTEST ALL-ELECTRIC AIRCRAFT
BIRD UNVEILS STATE-OF-THE-ART BATTERY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
CARGO EBIKES COMING TO MANCHESTER, UK
What TV, Print or Digital advertising have you seen for EVs recently which you noticed, or thought was memorable?
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK
– FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK