Financial consequences (Drink drive campaign)
"Here is the bill for your legal fees." THINK! Drink drive and face the financial consequences.
There are strict penalties if you are convicted of drink driving, including:
- a minimum 12 month driving ban
- a criminal record
- a fine of up to £5,000
- an endorsement on your license for 11 years
However, this list does not reflect the everyday consequences of being caught drink driving which can include:
- increase in car insurance costs
- job loss
- trouble getting in to countries like the USA
- the shame of having a criminal record
- loss of independence
The Institute of Advanced Motorists calculate that a drink drive conviction could cost between £20,000 - £50,000 as a result of fines, solicitors fees, increase in car insurance and loss of job.