“President Kiir will remain Patron of National Dialogue process” – Ateny Wek Ateny

Apr 11, 2017, 04:43 PM

The Presidential spokesperson says President Salva Kiir will remain patron of the National Dialogue.

“Asking President Kiir to step aside is like asking a pilot to abandon his plane,” said Ateny Wek Ateny.

Ateny was responding to calls by the civil society and sections of the the international community for President Salva Kiir to step aside and appoint a neutral actor to steer the process.

President Salva Kiir announced the initiative in December 2016 to cement fractured relations and reconcile communities.

Speaking on the financing of the process, Ateny Wek said the South Sudan government would fund 80% of the budget and is hoping to secure the remaining 20% from the international community.

In this interview with Sani Martin Ateny said he was hopeful the ministry of finance would release funding before the end of this month (April 2017).

Listen in!