26. Transforming Pain Services: joining up pain management and involving the patient
First broadcast 07.02.12
The health professionals working to improve pain management, and the importance of getting patients more involved.
The relationship between doctor and patient is crucial in managing pain. In this programme we look at how the British Pain Society’s newly launched Pain Patient Pathways Project should improve the way health professionals manage chronic pain conditions. We’ll hear from a patient about her varied experiences with health professionals and from doctors involved with treating pain about the importance of patients getting involved in the treatment of their own condition.
In this programme:
* Douglas Smallwood, British Pain Society
* Dr Mark Ritchie, GP, Swansea
* Kevin Geddes, Director of Self Management with the Long Term Conditions Alliance in Scotland
* Dr Martin Johnson – Royal College of General Practioners’ UK Champion in chronic pain; on the executive committee for the Pain Patient Pathways
* Jean Smith, patient