72: Pat Sharples, Swisstainable, Chill Factore & Touring in the Binntal
- The new traffic light system should be confirmed later this week, before it starts on May 17
- We discussed the cost of testing in Episode 71 with Katie from Battleface
- Steve Angus from Fresh Chalets reported from Val d'Isère
- Jim Duncombe reported from La Clusaz
- Ed Mannix from Matterhorn Chalets reported from Zermatt
- Katy Dartford visited Binntal in Switzerland on a ski touring adventure
Katy ski touring in the Binn Valley, Switzerland
- Iain tested skiing in the ‘new normal’ in Saas Fee in July 2020, reporting for InTheSnow Magazine
- Larger resorts in Switzerland were more affected than smaller resorts
- Iain reported on cross country skiing in Crans Montana in Episode 65
- We discussed the number of different activities this winter’s visitors to French ski resorts have tried in Episode 69
- Charlie Rees reported on snow shoeing in Engelberg in Episode 71
- There is no quarantine on arrival into Switzerland for British citizens. You can check the latest travel and lockdown status here.
- Crans Montana has extended its ski season into June
- Check the latest resort and snow info at the MySwitzerland website
- You can find out more about the 'Swisstainable' programme here
- Switzerland is currently 3rd in the World Economic Forum sustainability rankings, and the goal is to make CH 'the world’s most sustainable destination'
- Train travel to Switzerland is very easy:
- Iain visited the Valsana Hotel in Arosa in March 2020. The hotel prides itself for its sustainability credentials, which Iain tested out for Skier and Snowboarder Magazine.
- Potato is a new restaurant in Zermatt
- Ian Brown, MD of The Snow Centre, was on the show in Episode 67
- The Chill Factore indoor snow slope is in Manchester
- Pat Sharples is head coach of GB Snowsports
- His Salomon ‘Grom Camps’ started in 2005
- His first sponsored athlete was James ‘Woodsy’ Woods
- Make sure you subscribe so you don’t miss the full interview coming soon as a Ski Podcast Special
Nicole Clark: "The podcast just keeps getting better and better, thank you for all your hard work"
Suzi Jones: “Just listening to the podcasts makes you feel in touch so when we are lucky to go back it won’t feel as alien. Thanks again you’re our lockdown ski saviour.”
- Follow Iain on social media @skipedia and the show @theskipodcast – now on Instagram as well.
- Thanks as always to Switzerland Tourism for their support