One of the most common mistakes of the mind and spirit that we make about yoga: we believe that yoga class is supposed to be a *certain* thing.
We decide - not purposefully or consciously - that it is supposed to be a certain, specific, controlled (i.e. limited) experience.
But here are 7 things that yoga practice most certainly is (and there are SO MANY more possibilities!)
(Please be prepared for an ALL-CAPS shout out at the end of this list!):
1. Yoga class is - some days - the only place to find a little bit of peace and normal breathing, or maybe some much-needed tears, when trauma / shock / grief / loss defines the day and world around us.
2. Yoga class is - some days - starting the work of deep cleaning a haunted mansion full of stress and habits.
3. Yoga class is - some days - maintaining energy, strength, aliveness, and joy in our systems.
4. Yoga class is - some days - the ONLY 90 minutes in the past 24 hours where you were not in pain (or in 60% less pain even!) from your broken vertebrae / muscle spasm / inflammation / post-surgery thing / chronic pain / sprain.
5. Yoga class is - some days - the only times your mind stops running its script of non-present-moment thoughts...the only time your system gets a break from the usual anxious or depressed habits.
6. Yoga class is - some days - moving a body part that has been sleeping and half-dead and stiff for a month / year / decade. Thank goodness for the opportunity.
7. Yoga class is - some days - building strength and energy at such an exciting pace we want to shout it out to everyone!
ALL OF THESE SITUATIONS ARE BEAUTIFUL AND WONDERFUL AND HEALING AND AMAZING.... FOR NOT ONLY YOU BUT EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE YOU INTERACT WITH!!
What else is yoga for you?
If you haven't yet, check out these resources from our yoga school:
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
We are on a mission to SAVE BIKRAM YOGA and our own hot room in particular. If you have been taking classes with this podcast, PLEASE please please take a moment to join our patreon community at www.patreon.com/bikramyoga
Without collective support from people who care about this yoga, this yoga will not have a home. Thank you so much for being part of our mission!!
And as you know, this yoga is not supported by taxes, not supported by health insurance, generally not supported by the medical community, usually scoffed at or dismissed by Yoga Journal, and most of the time not even supported by other American yoga!!
There are many levels of support that you can give, and we humbly ask that you even ask your friends and family to join us in saving this yoga!!
Levels of giving start at $5/month.
Recording from Feburary 13, 2022
Bikram Yoga Capital Area
East Lansing, Michiganwww.byca.yoga