Kate and Katherine Catch Up + Featured Book Salt River Road by Molly Schmidt
This episode the Featured Book is brought to you by Fremantle Press and we’re talking to writer and journalist Molly Schmidt. Molly is from the coastal town of Albany, Western Australia. She is passionate about producing stories that are inclusive of all members of her community.
Her first novel Salt River Road was written as part of her PhD under Miles Franklin Award winner Kim Scott—who has also been on this show—and novelist Brett D'Arcy. As part of the writing process, Molly collaborated with Noongar Elders to produce a work that actively pursues reconciliation.
She is a radio producer and journalist for the ABC, where her passion for storytelling is put to good use.
Molly's writing advice: Let yourself dream and make connections along the way
Molly's recommendation of a debut book: Old Boy by Georgia Tree.
Kate and Katherine mention:
- Wifedom by Anna Funder
- Queenie in Seven Moves by Zanni Louise
- Really Good, Actually by Monica Heisey
- The Modern by Anna Kate Blair
- Stone Yard Devotional by Charlotte Wood
- Why We Are Here by Briohny Doyle
- After the Forest by Kell Woods
- One Piece on Netflix
- Kate hosts Anna Kate Blair discussing her debut novel The Modern at Beaumaris Library on Monday October 2nd, 6.30pm. Free but please book here.
- Katherine hosts Clare Fletcher at Robinsons Bookshop Glen Waverley on Friday 6th October - Bookings here
- Kate hosts Charlotte Wood discussing her new novel Stone Yard Devotional at Cinema Nova for Readings Books on Wednesday 11th October, 6.30pm. Bookings here.
- Kate joins an online panel on AI: Opportunities, Threats and Ethical Considerations for Authors with Tracey Spicer, Holden Sheppard and ASA CEO Olivia Lancaster. Thursday 26th October 7.30-9pm. Bookings here.
You can support us and the making of Season Six via our Patreon page. Thanks for joining us!