63: When Will We Ski Again? Plus Verbier, Val d'Isère & Electric Cars in Ski Resorts
We discuss reduced quarantine and a dramatic week for French ski resorts. When will we get to ski this winter? There are snow reports from Verbier and Crans Montana, plus we talk electric cars and have another suggestion for Ski Book Group.
- Vanessa made her debut as a dalek in Episode 7, told us about her downhill racing experiences in Episode 23
- Regular listeners will know Steve from Episode 6, 25 & Episode 43
- Steve is a Ski instructor at TDC in Val d'Isère
- You can book lessons in Val d’Isere with Steve at Clareangus.co.uk or by emailing him at email@example.com
- Quarantine has been reduced to 5 days (with a negative test)
- Could quarantine even be reduced to zero?
- Intersport's survey showed that 58% of skiers were more likely to travel now
- You can read Ski Weekend's survey here
- Will French/European resorts open after Macron's speech
- You can read Iain's blog on Skipedia about France's dramatic week here
- La Clusaz is 'not an amusement park'
- There is a petition with over 20,000 signatures
- Note that ski touring is NOT banned in France in December
- Italy want resorts closed over Christmas
- Zermatt has allegedly seen overcrowding, but Switzerland is still open
- VIPski has gone out of business
- Hotelplan have confirmed they will run no chalets this winter
- You can listen to our review of Bankso in Episode 48
- There is going to be a Brexit staffing issue after 31 December
- Testing has been set up in Courchevel and in Val Thorens
- Sam from Altitude Ski School reported from Verbier
- Pierre-Henri Mainetti reported from Crans Montana
- There will be no World Cup racing in Val d'Isere
- No dancing on the tables at the Folie Douce this winter
- Ischgl has scaled down apres ski
- Vanessa reported on her experiences at the Inferno in in Episode 23
- Intersport Ski Hire is offering free and easy cancellation on all bookings
- 81% of their customers hire so they don't have to haul their skis around
- 33% are hiring because it's cheaper than ski carriage on flights
- Podcast listeners can get an additional 10% by using the code 'WINTER2020'
- Our 'Electric Vehicles in ski resorts' special was recorded last week and will come out as a Podcast Special Episode on 08 December
- Would you like one of these for Christmas?
- Iain has some new sunnies from Messy Weekend
- Listen to our Ski Podcast Special about 'Aiming High': the life of Erna Low
- We covered 'A Whole Life' in Ski Book Group in Episode 61
- Vanessa recommended 'Beneath a Scarlet Sky'
- Chris Howie suggested getting the sleeper to Scotland...I'm working on it, Chris! Nicola Sturgeon notwithstanding - can you even travel between England & Scotland?
- You can listen to our Train Travel Special here
- Dodshuz (via twitter):
Nice to listen to people talking about skiing and managing to stay positive about the up & coming season. Good job well done
- Sally Ingham
Love The Ski Podcast and listen to you often while I am working from home
- Mark Wilson (via Facebook):
I listen to the podcasts everywhere, especially in the garden with my headphones on whilst messing about. my skis are ready to go.... just waiting for something to happen, and we’re away!
- Chris Howie
Really excellent to see you continuing to make great podcasts even with COVID descending. Loving your podcasts, keep up the great work!
If you missed our Facebook Live, our Ski Podcast Special on Electric Vehicles in Ski Resorts will be live on 08 Dec as a podcast.
Episode 64 will be out on 15 December. Thanks to Switzerland Tourism and Intersport Ski Hire for supporting the podcast.