#23 Moving Towards Safer Uncertainty with Matt Lock
Matt explains that as humans we tend to confuse safety with certainty. Believing that to be safe we need to be certain of things. Yet by recognising that uncertainty is part of the fabric of the universe, we can live our lives whilst being safe and uncertain.
Matt explains that we tend to confuse safety with certainty. Believing that to be safe we need to be certain. Yet by realising we can be safe and uncertain, we can move into the domain of growth, exploration and learning. A fascinating territory for leaders to thrive in, and one that leads to more useful and appropriate ways forward. Matt argues that moving towards safer uncertainty is essential for next tier leaders - the leaders our businesses, organisations, and planet needs now.
Why the default position of 'It depends’ is a powerful place to start conversations.
To live a meaningful life we must Grow Up. Wake Up. Clean Up. Both as individuals and as organisations.
That when, as individuals and cultures, we recognise vulnerability as courage, we will make greater progress.
Accepting that things are always going to change, and that doing so leads to creativity and possibility.
How leaders can move Towards Safer Uncertainty using a framework for practice:
- Staying curiously awake
- Consciously creating safety
- Embracing uncertainty
- Learning from life
- Connecting to the wider system
- Matt’s Blog on Towards Safer Uncertainty. http://mattlock.co/article29.html
- Matt Lock Associates: http://mattlock.co/
- Matt: https://www.linkedin.com/in/mattlockconsultancy/
- Can we work with complexication? Complicated and Complexed. Can we be curious enough to get into “complexication” even if it doesn’t give us convenient answers? Transformational Presence: https://alanseale.org/